1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AK demands trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peterlake144, Sep 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

Jedi mind tricks. I thought I said that I was thinking of someone else, which, last I knew, was an implied admission of guilt.

I can't believe I have to defend myself against my own admission of guilt. Good grief.

2. nanker phelge

nanker phelge Member

You are forgetting he signed a contract and should honor it. After the contract is up he then is free to go where he wants.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

The contract he signed back in 2004 still has 63 million/4year left I believe. He told the Russian reporters that he is willing to give that up and go back to Europe instead of lurking around in Utah for another 4 years. I dont know if that was his serious thoughts, but obviously he is desperate.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You must be new to the NBA. That's all i'll say......

5. danny317

danny317 Member

just read on yahoo sports that AK is willing to opt out of his contract. so long as he can get the heck out of utah :eek:

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

This is what happens when the US dollar is only worth 0.7 Euros!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can't blame him, he only has a short career, he wants to be happy. If he is willing to walk away from $63 million that says a lot about him.

The Jazz could negotiate away his contract, and make him a free agent...or trade him to a team that wants cap relief.....

He wants to be happy....good for him.

DD

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Forgetting that they're both in the same division:

SEATTLE trades:

Wally Sczerbiak
    Delonte West

to Utah

UTAH trades:

Andrei Kirilenko

to Seattle

Utah's reasoning:

1. They get rid of a player that no longer wants to be there.
    2. They get rid of this player for a player that can be of service to them (i.e. a shooter and a player who can platoon the SF/SG position with Giricek and Harpring)
    3. They get a young PG in return who can be molded into becoming a pretty solid backup to Williams
    4. Szczerbiak's contract has only 1 more year left.

Seattle's reasoning:

1. They get rid of a player that pretty much would be a role player once Jeff Green gets going
    2. They bring in a great defender to help Durant/Green
    3. A frontline platoon of AK/Kurt Thomas/Collison/Wilcox would be pretty good...even in the West which could....
    4. Spell playoff berth? With highly skilled players in Durant and Green and a veteran-led frontcourt, they could surprise some people.

But what do I know.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think he is willing to walk away from 63M. I think he is just saying that to increase the pressure on Utah to trade him, so that at least, they will get something in return.

10. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

no anti-coach rant stating that the coach wrecked his career and scarred him mentally forever???

double standard and agenda-driven hypocrisy :rolleyes:

11. DaDakota

I think you are getting me confused, I have never said a coach wrecked a players career, I do think some coaches don't give players adequate opportunities or take advantage of players skillsets, but don't think they wreck a career.

If you are refering to JVG and V-Span, I just disagreed with how JVG used him, and said that I believed V-Span could develop into a good NBA point guard with playing time and trust.

I guess I just make a big target.....

I almost always side with any player who wants out or forces a trade, it is their short career, they can do what they want, and should do what they want.

DD

#71 DaDakota, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  12. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

but you don't side against every coach in that situation, hence the agenda-driven double standard.

and unlike vspan, ak is nba proven

13. DaDakota

I do side against every coach in this situation. If a player thinks that a coach or situation is going to slow his career or plays a style of ball that the player knows he doesn't fit, I have no problem whatsoever if the player begs out of that situation.

They have to do whatever is right by themselves, I kind of view NBA players as contractors, they should do whatever they think is best.

And I like some things Sloan does but I think he and JVG are similar in their approach to coaching, and I believe that is old school Bobby Knight style, and IMHO, I don't like or agree with that kind of coaching/management.

DD

#73 DaDakota, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I am glad not every NBA player is a selfish jerk that thinks like you. Fortunately, the vast majority accept coaching, make the best of it and sacrifice for the team. Otherwise, the NBA wouldn't be worth watching. Being an independent contractor is one thing, but the NBA is made of teams where once contracts are signed, team success takes priority. Your philosophy would work well at golf, tennis and other individual sports. Maybe even baseball. But at team sports like football and basketball, your analogy fails.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

been trying to think of teams where AK would be a good fit......

would the Nets trade RJ for him????

could Bynum and pieces get him to LA

Magette would give the Jazz a legit third scorer

he would be a nice fit in Denver but there trade pieces all play Boozers spot

where else would work???

16. abcdef

abcdef Member

This kind of shoots a hole in your theory.

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_6970226

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Um, I signed a contract at my work, but if I get another job, I can give 30 days notice. If AK would be better off driving a semi, he has the right to walk away from a job and start another, as long as it's not in NBA basketball.

18. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

AK is a good defensive player, mainly on help defense, but not good enough over all to support his contract.

19. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/22/is-the-euro-exodus-beginning/

Is the Euro Exodus Beginning?
    Posted Sep 22nd 2007 1:27PM by Bethlehem Shoals
    Filed under: Cavaliers, Eastern, Western, NBA Rumors, Cleveland, The Word

First, Charlie Bell nearly went overseas. An American opting for Europe over the NBA would've been a real eye-opener. Then, Andrei Kirilenko suggests that he'd be willing to give up millions to play in front of his people year-round.

You can add one definite, and one maybe, to this growing list. SPORT (translated by Hoops Hype) tells us that dispelled Warrior and singing hero Sarunas Jasikevicius is headed to Panathinaikos, reigning champs of the Euroleague. He'll get about $9.8 mill for two years, plus some money to help with the buyout. Jasikevicius's arrival in the NBA was supposed to be a big deal. But he never really found a niche, and certainly never got a chance to matter like he does internationally.

And Sasha Pavlovic, who may or may not be key to the Cavs' future, is at very least using Europe as leverage in his contract talks. According to the Akron Beacon Journal, the two parties are nowhere close to agreeing on a figure; as a restricted free agent, Pavlovic has to go back for at least one season unless he heads for another league.

Jasikevicius is the poster child for this movement, since his NBA salary was relatively low and his contract would be high by European standards. Pavlovic has much more in common with Kirilenko; as famous as AK-47 is, no non-NBA team could ever afford to pay him a max-type deal. Pavlovic, on other hand, simply benefits from inflation. He'd be good in Europe, probably, but "good" over there just don't pay like it does here. That's why, in the end, both those guys will probably find a way to suck it up and play in the NBA in 2007-08.

and so it begins....

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think this trade works for all teams. the rockets are not involved since i don't think we have the means or the motive to go after ak.

magic trade: turkoglu
    magic recieve: gooden

the shard signing made turkey redundant. gooden shores up what could be a great frontline (howard, gooden, lewis).

cavs trade: gooden, snow
    cavs recieve: AK

this is a risk for the cavs financially. kirilenko at the 4 can spread the floor and provide more shot blocking than gooden.

jazz trade: AK
    jazz recieve: turkoglu, snow

the jazz replace AK at the 3 with turkoglu and shore up the backcourt with eric snow who can replace the loss of fisher.