1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give Cato more minutes...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WoodlandsBoy, Nov 20, 2001.

Tags:
  1. man532

man532 Member

Woodlands Boy,

I'm working on being positive, as a result, forget it, Cato's is BFI, doo-doo, enough said.

2. T he Jockstrap

That has to be one of the funniest pictures i have ever seen.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't buy this. I don't remember Larry Smith, Kurt Rambis, Rodman, or to take a player today, say Scot Pollard, complaining because they were not "involved" in the offense. If your role if to play defense, get garbage points, and get the heck out of the way in the set offense because that is what your skills are best suited for, by all means embarace that role. That is not too much to ask.

I do think Cato should get more minutes though. Despite his shortcummings, he still is the only thing resembling a shotblocker we have. Having no shotblocking threat at all in there results in the opponents getting so many more freebies (layups, dunks, etc)than you, and you will not be able to out shot them every night like we did in Portland. In my mind we have no choice but to give him heavy minutes unless Eddie can emerge.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Desert,

I agree that is what Cato should do, but my point is that he does NOT do that, and if we want him motivated we should run a few plays for him.

DaDakota

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Actually, DaDakota, it always made me hustle more. I enjoyed going to parks where no one knew me. I took it as a personal challenge to show the team I could play, and dammit, if that means getting a freaking steal and running the fastbreak to get noticed....that's the way I approached it. You had to earn your touches....that's just the way it is. From my perspective, whining for touches didn't cut it, in the environment you are referring to.

The game you're talking about is not competitive...Rudy calls it "<a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25098">Family Reunion Ball</a>" where everyone gets their fair share of toaches.

So DaDakota, do you identify more with Cousin Billy or Uncle Joe.

6. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

1) 23 Minutes is a completely arbitrary cut-off point. What signifigance does this point have? That it provides the starkest difference? Why not 30 minutes? Also, how many of those game minutes are skewed by the numerous Overtime games the Rockets have played?

I was thinking around 25 min but found that at 23 min, I got the best record. Exaggeration to make a point. I found that when given the chance he could be a good performer, not a great performer.

2) If Cato played more than half the game, it was in all likelihood because he didn't suck that game. If he didn't completely suck that game, it was likely that we got above average play from the center position, and that likely affected how well we played.

Alot of C have bad games consistently, ie Ostertag and Bradley but then have great games consistently. Cato needs to be out there learning to have more great games than bad ones. He has never been given the minutes. Not in Portland and not here. While he is healthy put him out there until he learns to go to the ball while it is in the air for a rebound, don't go for headfakes, learn to box out(god does he need to learn this), anticipate when a guard is driving to the hoop, catch a pass and finally make his FT. He has done a good job when he is left out there. YOU CANNOT LEARN WITH 6 MIN A GAME.

7. heypartner

Wrong! Coaches can learn a LOT in 6 minutes. Players can "learn" to play fundamental defense in practice (if not High School and College!!).

8. Bigman

Bigman Member

He's a head case. He's hopeless. I've given up on him. Forget about him and move on. Trade him for "Two Sandwiches" or One, I don't care. This kid needs psychological counseling and I don't believe the Rockets staff a shrink (although it might be in their best interest to have one).

9. Sane

Sane Member

This is the way the haters have to look at it:

42 millon is wasted in capspace. He doesn't thik like the rest of the league does. He has another mindset. Since it won't get in the way of our game, why not get hi involved early knowing that he could start playing a little bit better? So he gets 12 shots a game. Sure, he might go 5-12. but isn't it worth it to get 3 more rebounds and 1 or 2 more blocks?

I've heard the "if he doesn't bla bla bla, then cut him.."

It's not gonna happen. He's hear to stay. We have to find a way to make use of ANYTHING he can give us. And if what DaDakota is saying will do that, then there's no reason why we shouldn't.

10. DaDakota

Finally a SANE post !!

DaDakota

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I disagree. Giving Cato, say, 8 more shots more per game is eight less shots for someone on the team who is better at putting it in the basket. I'm game for maybe giving him a couple post-up opportunities, but the main person holding back Cato is himself. Willis' stats could be his if he could just catch the damn ball. No, Cato has great ability, but I don't think he'll ever be a proper starting center for us, mainly because of his hands and his head. But I think it's on Cato. Willis got minutes because he earned them. Let Cato do the same.

12. heypartner

Go ahead...hide behind someone else's post.

totally lame,,,like reneging a bet.

You know,,,,I am taking every chance I get in 2001-2002 to make sure that I use every opportunity to announce that you reneged the big summer bet that left me as:

<b>crispee</b>

and you as the

reneging <b>DaDakota</b>....

Plus...your player analysis just plain sucks...over time...bring it baby...bring it!!

DaDakota sucks,,, and so does Fizer (who he called a superstar),,,and so does Langhi...and so does Cato.

and DaDakota tries to say those guys all need more playing time....sheez....DaD....nothing personal...just, you never should have reneged.

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

It's a shame when I know for a fact that I can out hustle and likely grab more rebounds in a game than Cato.

BTW, what is he doing in that picture, meditating???

14. DaDakota

crispee,

Give it a rest dude !!! I know more about basketball in my little finger then you do in your ovary-analytical pea sized brain.

I guess you follow the "if your friend leapt from a bridge mentality"

Who was it that said Griffin was a 3? Oh, yeah...YOU DID !!!

As for Fizer, he is going to be a very good player, ever wonder why Chicago traded away Brand? HUH? Because they know Fizer will blossom into a Brand type player.

As for Langhi, I do think he can play, all he needs is just minutes to get comfortable.

Now, to the thread at hand. My point is this...and I will go REAL slow so that even you can understand it.

Facts:

A. Cato is sulking
    B. Cato has a guaranteed contract
    C. Rockets are better with a motivated Cato then with a sulking one.

POSSIBLE solution:

Get Cato more involved in the offense, early in the game.

And for those of you who don't agree, HAKEEM used to sulk too, and what was Rudy's solution? You guessed it, get him the ball early in the game.

And HP, Grow the F..k up !!

DaDakota

15. Miggidy Markell

This year I have seen Cato make the open 15 foot jumper about once or twice a game. We should run something for him because most defenders aren't worried about him and will let him take that shot. I would actually rather him take that then see Steve and Cuttino dribbling the shot clock down trying to get their own shot. This team needs passing to make the best shot they can, not more shots for the same player each time down court. That is exactly why our offense hasn't been running smoothly. Defenses have doubled Steve and Cuttino because they know Cato isn't going to be an offensive factor.

16. DaDakota

Also,

Cato and Langhi are the 2 leading FG% players on the Rockets this year.

Both are the only Rockets shooting 50%, and langhi is leading the team in FT%

http://www.clutchcity.net/players.cfm

:D

DaDakota

PS. Crispee, why does your post total include your HeyPartner posts too? Huh?.....I don't include my BahDakota ones.

#36 DaDakota, Nov 21, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2001
  17. BahDakota

BahDakota Member

Yeah,

What he said !!!

Jerk !!!

BD

18. DaDakota

I love this game !!!

DaDakota

19. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I'LL GIVE HIM MORE MINUTES! HOW ABOUT TWO MINUTES PLAYING TIME EVERY GAME!HUHUH!WE ARE PLAYOFF BOUND!!!!:D

20. heypartner

hehe....I think I annoyed him. What do you think Crisco?

and if you didn't know, Clutch forced me to take back my post count, because Will was getting confused. "Where did heypartner go??" Notice Clutch wasn't concerned about people remembering you.

s.c.o.r.e.