1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FSN in HD!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeopardE, Jan 3, 2007.

1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

OMG WTF FTW BBQ FYI CNN BFF AFAIK

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Looks like the next Rockets HD broadcast will be January 29 against the Sixers.

3. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

Is this also on Directv? What channel is FSNHD on Directv??

4. UrMyStlkAl

UrMyStlkAl Member

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Channel 302. Though most of the time that station is off the air since there isn't much local HD sports programming.

And no, there aren't many HD channels. In fact, we seem to be losing some now. INHD2 is no longer available. :mad:

6. JeopardE

iNHD2 apparently merged with inHD.

That said, one of the things I'm really hopeful for after the Comcast switch is an increase in the number of available HD channels & programs available. For all the extra money I'm spending to get high definition I sure am not getting enough content. SportsCenter is nice but it's just not enough.

7. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

I only got a black screen as well. Anyone else have the same problem, if so do you need to order this channel for more deniro?

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Ive got the saem amount of HD channels I have alwasy had (yes you have to pay for the HD package)

3 - KTRKs
    3 - KHOUs
    1 - Fox
    2 - KPRCs
    ESPNHD
    FSNHD
    Discovery HD theater
    HDnet
    HDnet movies
    2 - InHD
    TNTHD
    2 - PBS

I may be forgetting one or two..but thats basically the HD lineup on TW.

9. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

doing HD is much harder than we think. they have to get new equipment for replays, bigger hard drives, new graphics stations that can do hd graphics etc. and all this while still airing a chopped version for the regular folks.

toyota center doesnt have to do all that.

10. JeopardE

Actually, the best case scenario is that Toyota Center owns that equipment so that all events broadcast from there can be in HD. The TD Banknorth Garden in Boston is an example of an arena that does this.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

DirectV FSN HD channels are 95 and 96. The Rockets were on 96. Besides the local HD channels (2,11,13,26, 39, 8,) Directv has about 10-12 HD channels. However, by the end 2007, Directv will have 150+ HD channels. I have the new "NASA-sized" 5LNB dish that will pick up the new HD Satelittes.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From what I understand, TC is basically HD ready, but FSN just isn't there yet. There are also a few other considerations like additional people to man equipment, etc. The problem is that there is just a TINY percentage of people who have an use HD, it just isn't worth the cost yet.

They'll get there eventually, but I can definitely see the economic reasons for not pouring all that money into a technology only used by about 5 percent of the population.

13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

But maybe only 5% of the population have HD TV's because there is not much HD programming so people are not bothering with switching yet. If there was more HD programming available I am sure the percentage would go up as well.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, it is more likely the cost. Keep in mind that only about 50 percent of the total population actually has cable or dish.

HD is still mainly for people who really care about their TV in HD. The average viewer still doesn't know much about it or care.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

So, anybody got the latest word on this situation? I just bought an HDTV and I'm hoping FSN has made the transition for the upcoming season...but I doubt it.

At least the first game will be on TNTHD :D

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you my friend will be overjoyed when you see the first game

Tinman approves your recent upgrade in life

17. Bald Puppet

Bald Puppet Member

I heard a ton of new Directv HD channels are going to be added Sep 19, and at least 100 total by the end of the year. They are supposed to adding HD channels for the regional sports networks too, so it looks like we may be able to see the Rockets in HD all season not just on TNT and ESPN. :cool:

18. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

FSN has an HD channel and they had it last year just didnt show many games on it.

Why do they show so many Astros games in HD but cant show as many Rockets games?

19. Barkley

Barkley Member

Money?

20. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

What will this package run you on Directv? I am weighing the cost of Comcast to Directv. I had direct while I was up in Ohio but any time a storm cloud rolled over I lost the signal. And it happened during a Rox game once for half an hour and I swore I wouldn't stick with them when I came back to Houston.