1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry, Rockets at odds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats what you get for avoiding GARM for so long :p

none of these rookies have any idea of who you are.

they would probably try to argue cap specifics with gater and aelliot....and probably flame Doc Rocket or popeye.

2. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Anytime you want to debate about salary caps, luxury tax, basketball in general, I am well versed. Now I know which posters have true knowledge, which ones are the pretenders, and which ones are just kids.

Like I stated before, I don't want Clutch changing my rookie status. I think there are too many people starting enough threads as it is.

Bring it on!

3. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

ROFL! :) Good one.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

debating? You were mistaken and about a dozen posters pointed that out. There was no debate.

it's no biggie. I've been mistaken; Jonathan Feigenhas ; even aelliott. There is a lot to remember wrt CBA. just drop it and move on.

next

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I have no desire to debate anything with you.

I was laughing at how you were wanting to argue a WELL KNOWN and OBVIOUS point with a guy that has proven his knowledge many times over on this board.

6. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

What is his agent talking about? Rockets spent 1 million to get Landry? Yes, because Rockets had thought that Landry was good. But Landry himself sucked in the summer league. Landry is disappointed; rockets is also disappointed. But that is all because, Landry wont contribute!

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

You forgot Bonzi who is in the last year of his deal. Francis could potentially leave after next year. Sura is surely gone at the end of the year if he isnt cut this year or traded away. So there are many deals that could potentially be wiped off our books in one year.

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Even if Landry signs with the Rockets I just don't see how he'd get anymore minutes than Novak did last year. I do think Landry has more upside than Landry because the guy has a shot, he can rebound but he needs some time to get used to the athleticism of the NBA and the speed. He seemed a bit in awe of the guys he was playing against in summer leagues so he didn't do as much as he should have. He scored a bunch of points early but the coaches told him to concentrate on rebounding cause they already knew he could score so that's what he did instead. It's just a matter of putting together the pieces so he can put a complete game together. Everyone is right on this guy though. It's going to take him awhile before he is NBA ready. He either a) signs with Rockets and rides the pine for a year to see if he can develop with limited minutes. b) gets traded and plays for another NBA team like say the Hornets, Clippers or Timberwolves. Heck he might even get some minutes there. c) Plays in the D-League or Euro-Leagues to gain experience.

If I were him I'd go where I could get the most money and the most playing time with the best competition in order to develop. Because the Rockets are so stacked, it just doesn't make sense for him to stay. It made sense initially when we drafted him but at the time, we didn't have Scola. Landry would have been getting some minutes for Hayes. But now, forget it.

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Fixed it.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Right now, some kid in some third world country is thinking with disgust that American youths are b****ing about getting $7 an hour to make burgers in an air conditioned restaurant PLUS free food..........

It's all relative, he feel he isn't getting his fair market value.

11. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

um. Why is everyone concerned about this? I think as soon as they make another trade/release some of the dead weight, he's going to get his money. They are currently offering all the money they can. I'm pretty sure his agent knows this, Landry knows this, and the Rockets' FO knows this. This press release is nothing more than his agent's efforts to make everyone move a little faster. As he should...

Look at Oden. Imagine if that happened to Landry right now. He would be screwed.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

But we were required to offer him the required tender on September 6 (looks like some kind of partially guaranteed 1 year min deal). So there is a roster spot for Landry if he wants it. If he takes it and we cut him then he is an URFA.

This is a tough spot for Landry, but the Rockets are doing to the right thing in not committing anything beyond minimal money to a guy unlikely to make the roster as the roster stands now. Landry can take it and try to make the squad, or find another league and then where we retain his rights. Landry is a 31 pick is probably in worse shape because he was drafted at all than if he were a rookie free agent. Nontheless the Rockets don't owe him anything, they paid a lot for that draft slot, and he did nothing in the summer league to make you think this guy will produce right away.

13. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

i guess jvg is to blame for being the 2nd best 3 point shooting team in the league...battier, head etc...

14. FFz

FFz Member

Yea the rockets don't owe him anything. Other 2nd rounders are getting 400k and they preformed better than he did in the summer leagues. I don't see any need for rockets to pay him more than that with our current situation of 17 players under contract.

15. abundance

abundance Member

denniscd, so what do you think of Landry?

16. WNBA

WNBA Member

and those great shooting helped rockets a lot in the playoff.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no there isn't. How do you figure Landry has a roster spot guaranteed if he wants it.

there is a low ball, non-guaranteed contract to sign. His agent says it is insulting. This is just part of negotiation. If he signs it, we'll likely cut him and forget him. However, if he reads the writing on the wall and works in another league first, he'll have an entire NBA organization backing him and helping him with anything he needs...and he gets a shot later when ready.

If he signs this bogus tender and gets cut, he's on his own with no NBA team backing him.

this happens ever year to 2nd rounders. Some get real offers like Novak, some agree immediately to play in another league first, and some get insulted by low ball offers and have to choose to sign them or not.

18. FFz

FFz Member

Maybe he got a look at novak in practice and though. Damn THAT can get you a 3 year contract...

Seriously Landry must have gone Wilt on the entire practice squad if Novak was guarding him.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I meant roster spot and some guaranteed money for training camp. The Rockets didn't have to offee the min tender--some guarnteed money and a shot in camp, they did to retain his rights for now. At worst he can collect a decent check and then become an URFA to seek another NBA team/contract. He shouldn't feel insulted, the Rockets have 17 guys under contract, he can take it and try to make the team (try to make another team if he gets cut), or seek a more secure contract in Europe.

The best scenario is Landry signs a Europe deal where we retain his rights. Next best is another team trading for his rights for a 2nd (any kind) and maybe cash. But they may think they can just wait until the Rockets cut him to swoop him up for nada. Tough spot for him and the Rockets--it is what it is.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

even if i gave you the idiotic notion that he ruined novak and piatowski, your argument would look pathetic next to the amount of 3 point shooters who have flourished under him. i'm not debating jvg anymore though.