1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Sports Local Radio Station

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRaiderRocket, Sep 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

At first I HATED Andre and Marc in the morning on 610.
    But I then got used to them.
    Then Granato came back on 1560. I thought I would tune to 1560....but now I actually find it kind of hard to listen to Granato.
    Turns out I think Lance made 610...I know when Lance was on vacation I always thought 610 sucked with only John.
    I just have gotten sick of Granato's act with the whole Italian thing with stupid Double Rods antics and idiotic Nick's Place spots and stuff.

Andre has shown some personality and eventhough Marc is a schmuck, he's alright with Andre.

I LOVE 610 in the afternoon. Matt is the best thing on radio in my opinion and Adam is a close 2nd.

Calvin b****es too much for me.

Charlie is too opinionated and won't budge on anything.

Davies and Duke are pathetic!

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why is that? I feel the same way and can't really understand why. I do get tired of his constant self-promotion, but Calvin is the only thing I like about 97.5. On some days, I'll listen to his entire show.

I've given up on sports radio in the morning. The only thing I try to catch is Colin Cowpatch's "Spanning the Globe" for 5 minutes. On the way home from work, one or two days I'll catch a smidgen of Matt and Rich while waiting on Adam and Danny. Danny is growing on me. As mentioned in another thread, how he does when the NBA season starts will tell the tale. Same for Calvin. If Danny doesn't know his stuff or if Calvin is too guarded in his comments, I'll tune 'em out completely. Granato and that awful "Bottom Line" are worthless for Rockets talk.

Pallilo is usually good but he badly needs a co-host.

3. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

When basketball season comes around, you all will see how one sided andre and mark vandersuck are. They only know about football and will only talk about football even when the basketball season heats up. Andre is a Mavs Fan btw, another reason to hate him. And i love the calls that come in that call mark vandermire a racist. They make my mornings. Danny in the afternoon is gonna be the basketball guru because it is his favorite sport. I think baseball is his number 2 sport so it give you variety unlike those fools in the morning. Oh yeah and i know no one cares but i saw Brian Skinner at the grocery store tonight, i told him to sign with the rockets for cheap, he laughed.

4. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

I'm glad they ditched Dukes in favor of Craig Roberts. I always enjoyed Craig Roberts on Stevens and Pruitt with his campy music.

I'm a 610 guy unless Pallilo is on. I liked Matt and Adam when they teamed.

5. tomato

tomato Member

I echo everyone who's mentioned Calvin postively. Every single person on the board should be listening. Good insider sports talk, and very socially aware

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I used to be 610 all the way , now I cant stand the station . They are constantly cutting people off and I hate that . Now I have been converted to 790 . Their midday show is a welcome break from that "phenomonol" show .

7. Fatty FatBastard

I listen to 97.5. But mainly because I only have F.M. radio in my car. And I used to know Jorge Vargas through my ex-girlfriend. Quite weird waking up in the morning and seeing Jorge out there, and then seeing him on the news later on.

Hell, my ex knew a ton of local news people. I still recall watching Melissa Wilson grinding on a girl at a dance club before she got married. She was very attractive in person.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The content isn't bad, and the delivery is great.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This morning is the first chance I've really had to listen to Andre and Marc. Not that bad. I like how they actually let their callers speak unlike their predecessors.

My personal favorite right now is Craig Roberts.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well I'll always listen to Granato and when Lance joins him back up it will seal the deal. I got to admit I checked out a little of Craig Roberts and it was pretty good, I still can't stand that yankee Davies but Roberts is pretty good.

I like Lopez around lunch but Justice has good guests as far as the afternoon goes I will flip around.

6-10-1560
    10-2-790/610(rome show)/1560
    2-6-toss up I listen to 790/1560/610
    6 and on Adam on 610

I need to check out Calvin on 97.5 and I do listen to that station on weekends.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

at the risk of sounding like i have a man crush, i love listening to Charlie Palillo. the guy knows his sports, always seems prepared, is eloquent, never a broken record. it seems he has a perfect metaphor for everything.

Charlie, if you're reading...YOU ARE THE MAN!

12. dupong

dupong Member

610 has always been my favorite sports stattion specially during football season.
    But I love listening to Charlie and love Justice's baseball insight, and Granato sucks by himself, I can't wait 'till Z join Granato on 1560.

Right now, it's 610 in the morning (specially Monday morning football talk), then 790 in the PM drive home, except Friday afternoon when the general is on 610 PM drive show.

13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

The morning shows are all horrible - it's iPod city for me for my morning commute. Davies & Dukes, Ware & Vandermeer and Mike & Mike are awful. I want to like Granato's new gig, but he's just not very good on his own.

I like Matt & Rich in the afternoon (mostly because of Matt), but CP is in a class all his own, and is by far my favorite local sportstalk personality. I've not listened to Sean & John much so I can't be fair to them. Every single one of 97.5's local shows are terrible.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Charlie and Rich are major turn offs for TWO stations. There really are no 'must listen tos'. Great shame.

Whatever happened to Russ Small? He was good - til he grew so bored with his (sports? radio?) life.

15. kevwun

kevwun Member

Lance should be back with John in November.

16. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

There is a reason for that - they are the official radio station to broadcast Rocket games! :D

Calvin Murphy show on 97.5 is the best, but his radio show is not on that long!

17. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Charlie P is hands-down the most knowledgable and objective (although sometimes pessimistic) radio guy in town. He can carry his own show, but a partner would add some variety.
    I think Lance Z was the 2nd best prior to getting kicked off 610. Although he acts a bit goofy, he knows his stuff and displays the passionate pleas of the common fan. I hope he comes to back to partner with John or starts his own show soon.
    Matt J is solid. I went to high school with him, and he's always had a good broadcasting presence. He'll only get better.
    It's a crapshoot after that.
    In the morning, Davies & Dukes are super-annoying with all their polls and hypothetical questions. Davies is the worst, playing the role of out-of-town flmaer who thinks he knows about Houston sports. Marc & Andre are OK but pretty one-dimensional with football and a bit bland, although Andre's better than I expected. I like Mike & Mike in the morning, but they always seem to be at commercial.
    Craig Roberts was a great hire. He's got a great sense of Houston history and humor and makes Jeremy seem like a joke. I haven't heard enough of Justice yet.
    In the afternoon, CP tops Matt & Rich (who is getting stupider). Sean and John seem to be all right, although I need to hear them more. I an't always tell who is who. Jorge Vargas and Jerome Solomon sound like unintelligent ex-jocks. I can't tell if Solomon says stupid stuff to stir the spot or because he really believes it.
    I'm not a big fan of Adam & whoever his partner is in the evening (Danny Vera, I think). They don't sound like they belong on radio. I haven't heard Calvin yet, but I'm sure it's enetertaining.
    Ultimately, I like the options but the quality is really-watered down. We would be better off if the best guys were concentrated on 1 or 2 stations and the rest went poof.

18. msn

msn Member

What happened at 610, anyway? It's like they fired *everybody*.

19. updawg

updawg Member

you guys don't know how good you have it. Austin sports radio is terrible

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think that since three competing stations popped up in little over a year or so, the salary demands for the "name" guys in town simply skyrocketed.