1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG To Warriors?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jlwee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

jvg is a fantastic nba head coach and it's frankly hilarious the amount of people who don't see that. he doesn't have a championship but it's hard to argue that he hasn't produced good teams on a consistent basis.

obviously he's not going to play nelly style basketball but i'm sure if he wanted to coach golden state, he could be very successful.

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

Anybody that thinks a JVG led Warriors team would have beat the Mavericks last year is on crack.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Not to worry, I'm sure he'd find a way to get most of them traded away, as usual.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

actually, they would be a really scary defensive team. JVG requires a lot of rotation on defense and that team is really quick. i don't think it would be possible to get an open look. ever.

on offense, well they have plenty of scoring options wich will probably compensate for JVG's lack of offensive knowledge.

either that or it would be a complete failure. either way, i bet it doesn't happen.

5. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

If Jeff likes to coach in Houston so much, I think he should coach the Astros.

Think about it, the Astros fit that slow, defensive and disciplined pace he likes so much.

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

In all fairness to JV Gundy- he is an excellent coach. He and his teams have been consistent.

7. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Insane.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree on the consistent

I often said it about Jerry Sloan's teams
    they just don't seem to have that extra gear when it comes to the playoffs
    same with JVG

In the playoffs they beat the teams they suppose to be
    or the teams beat themselves

I just never see their teams take it to the NEXT LEVEL!

Rocket River

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think JVG would only coach a team that fits his style of play, and that is NOT Golden State.

DD

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the finals was pretty close to the "next level"...and injuries didnt help with that.

Tmac and yao havent taken it to the "next level" either when it counts most :(

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Here's a question -- has a Phil Jackson team ever won a playoff series they weren't expected to win?

You could definitely say that about some of JVG's Knicks teams.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Conversely being up 2-0 makes you the favorite in that particular series and he managed to lead a team to blowing that lead, not once, but twice.

JVG is not right for Golden State, heck, I would argue he is done as a coach in the NBA.

The guy is a chemistry destroyer, and a front office nightmare.

He is good at working the media and manipulating the press, I guess that counts for something.

DD

#32 DaDakota, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

They beat the Knicks in the early 90s when NY had HCA. They even dropped the first two in NY and came back to win the next 4.

More recently they beat the Spurs when SA had homecourt in the playoffs a few years back. Same thing against Minnesota I believe. Also I think Utah had HCA in the Finals one of those years and Chicago won. This is all off the top of my head.

But usually his teams had HCA so he didn't really get a chance.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

going into the series little the majority did not favor the rockets...hence the rockets were not the favorites.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Good to see that DaDakota's irrational hate for JVG remains as strong as ever, 5 months after he was fired.

16. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

They still love him in New York. JVG is the Billy Martin of the Basketball world. If Isiah Thomas has another disastrous year, watch for JVG to go back and coach the Knicks.

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

:D it never dies

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This is false.

19. durvasa

Why judge anyone based on expectations formed in the middle of a task? Bizarre. I certainly wouldn't fault Phil Jackson and the Lakers for blowing a 3-1 lead against Phoenix.

Looks like you bought into Rosen's nonsense. This is just speculative gossip, a waste of time. The Rockets under JVG played great team defense and enthusiastically cheered for one another. They never threw anyone under the bus. They had unbelievable chemistry, precisely because the coach was willing to put the mopey malcontents in their place instead of allowing them to disrupt the rest of the team. You can't pin any of the failures the Rockets had under JVG on chemistry-issues.

#39 durvasa, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  20. durvasa

The Bulls won 57 games that year (Knicks 60), they were the 2-time defending champions, and they had Michael Jordan. They were favored.

HCA does not make you the favorites. In each of the series you mentioned, Jackson's team was pretty much favored.

I mean, I could list a bunch of playoff series where a JVG team won without HCA as well.