1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed. I think his stat line is misleading because (except for the TOs) it hides how bad he struggled most of the game. Then again, their whole team struggled and didn't seem motivated until mid-third quarter.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think it means Scola acquired referee's respect, just the same as that he won my respect!

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

the first 3 qtrs calls weren't going Scola's and aregentina's way

doesn't that mean he's actively setting picks and cutting? if you can get a foul called without having the ball isn't that good? that's how they got back from being down 14

well they do win games in that manner and that does not make them any less great

argentina won and he was the best player of the game

4. scola

scola Member

Scola against Splitter. Tiago did a great job defending his former teammate.

[​IMG]

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Are you n20 on SpursReport? No biggie, I just saw the same exact post over there.

6. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

i appreciate your objectivity. keep up the good postings.

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Wow you guys are being too critical of the guy, he's played in 6 games in 6 days, he's been the guy carrying the team on his shoulder's, there isn't another player in this tourney who has been successful at carrying the team while winning. He's the reason Argentina has won every single game until the U.S.A match….

So BACK OFF!!!! :D ...Just kidding, every player has an off day, he had his, if he plays well against U.S.A all y'all will be on his ..........again. :p

8. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

word!

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Half of the calls he got are not gonna be fouls in the NBA. the NBA is far more physical then what i have seen of this FIBA Tourny. nontheless, he is a pheonominal off the ball player. he knows how to get he's opponents into foul trouble in no time.

I think he is a better prospect then nene and nene is a very solid player. so yeah, we certianly got a winner on our hands. i jut loved the 4th quarter mentality he had. did not wanna lose this game. did whatever it took to get the win.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I disagree. I've been seeing a lot more contact go uncalled in these games than in the NBA. One difference is that Scola is considered a star at the international level, but he'll just be another rookie next season -- so he might not get the same treatment.

11. scola

scola Member

Yes, FIBA is more physical (meaning that more contact is allowed, not that the players are more athletic, strong or anything like that).

But I agree with blazer_ben that he will not get those calls, since he is a star in FIBA basketball, and an unknown foreign rookie in the NBA.

12. scola

scola Member

lol Durvasa, I didn't read your post completely, I just repeated what you said. :p

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

From what i've seen, it seems there is more fouls called in the tourny called then what i usually see in the nba. then again it just could be that the refs have a different interpertation of what fouls are then what you're usuall nba officials. so it may not have anything to do with the physicality of the fouls that are called.

14. FFz

FFz Member

didn't u guys see how smart Scola was on the defensive rotations? He covered up for a lot of pick and roll mistakes. I think he did a great job on the defensive end as far as positioning himself. He's not a athletic blocking machine, but he's really smart and runs the floor so well.

I definitely saw some fatigue in those legs though, but he used his experience to draw those fouls from the Brazilian players. Whether he was bailed out by the refs or whatever you would like to call it, Argentina won and he's the guy most responsible for it. This was a good game for him from my point of view.

15. firezh

firezh Member

Scola is definitely a star, but the fouls were called on NENE, Splitter...
    aren't they stars?

16. scola

scola Member

Scola is the MVP of the Spanish League (the best national league outside the NBA), and is also in the ALL Euroleague first Team. He is the best PF in Europe and the main star of a Final Four Euroleague team.

Tiago Splitter has been a teammate of Scola. Very good player, but not a big star yet. Nene has never played outside the Brazilian League in FIBA bbl, and went very young to the NBA.

I'm not talking about who is better, just about the star status in the international game.

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

well said. Scola kicks their azz.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Scola might not have the physical attributes of Nene or even Splitter, but he is alot more skilled and smarter then those two combined. he is the shane battier of the powerforward world. extremly intelligent in knowing the spots to be in and not to be in. knows he's limitations and dosent go overboard.

19. Coca Cola Scola

Unless he kisses Yao on the shoulder, I doubt that he can reach Yao. So, no worries. :D

20. Coca Cola Scola

Scola's the MVP of the Spanish league for a reason.....he's clearly very talented....and more talented than what I've seen of Nene and Splitter so far. Scola was the best player in the game. I was actually quite encouraged watching this performance of him. I already knew that he could light it up with hs post moves or on the fast break. But, this game showed how he reacts to adversity when they are down by 17 points, his teammates are playing like crap, and his opposition is trying to rough him up. He moves very well without the ball and can get guys to foul him like crazy. Duncan and Boozer win pretty ugly sometimes, actually most of the time....they certainly aren't as sportscenter worthy as KG and Amare....but just as effective.