1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I need a dog bite lawyer.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by IROC it, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

that sucks. I guess the owners got a huge hike in their insurance premiums and got pissed. but lying about it happening? classless

good luck and I wish I had a recommendation for you

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do they have lawyers that specialize in dog bites?

This should be a simple case, any lawyers should be able to handle it easily. Consult the records from the insurance and the settlement, plus doctor bills and medical notes.

let me guess...the family is white trash?

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Just seeing this one... thanks...

Do you know if they have an office in the Dallas area? I am calling the lawyer appointed by the insurance first to make sure I get what's going on exactly... it looks like what some have said... they settled, and are trying to gain back what they've had to dish out...

If I find that I need a personal reply to be filed or whatever, I'll look you up..

Anyway, do you know if he's got an office up here?

Thanks.

4. IROC it

Not really by their looks, or taste in homes... but definitely not of a good character to be doing this.

The husband was already in Alabama when this happened, so he can be the one behind this "denial" move... not sure. I have his number, but I've been advised not to directly contact him... which is probably for the best so he doesn't try and say I've threatened him... but the last time we spoke he said they'd "do anything and everything to make this right" and he knew that "we were not at fault" and that it was an "unfortunate event that [they] will responsible to see that it's resolved properly." <-- that was within 2 days of the attack.

I never even got signal ONE about this turn of events.

They were selling the house when we were looking at it because his job was relocating him from Dallas to Mobile. A construction firm I believe... and she worked here in the county offices.

Again, to be so overly helpful for two years, and now this?

I'll keep you all posted.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm sorry for that, man...I'd be raging mad from the get-go if a dog bit my daughter like that. I'm not sure I could keep my cool at the owner and the dog...Sounds like you did the better thing and was the better person.

I hope you get a good lawyer and don't hold back...

It bothers me alot for your child to experience this because I can relate with a 6 and 8 year old daughters...

Best wishes.

6. WildSweet&Cool

Just as an FYI...

though I work at a mid-sized law firm, there's no way that our attorneys would deal with an individual case like this and I'm not really in close enough contat with any of our attorneys for them to give me a referral for you.

7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

thats very strange. they must be strapped for cash or something. Do they have a legit lawyer or are they doing this themselves?

you are right to not contact them. obviously they arent stable.

I would just start collecting all the data available from the insurance company, hospital, courts, etc.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Same here. Kudos to IROC it for maintaining his cool. Not sure I could have. IROC it, I wish you good luck getting legal representation, and I think you should sue the crap out of them. (and then make them eat it)

9. IROC it

Yes... we have all of the data, etc... now they are adding to it for no reason.

Let me clarify what I know now...

They are not counter-suing exactly... it's not a counter suit, but apparently just their official "first reply" as individuals (even though the insurance company has settled). Never heard of that, but the way it's been explained is that they are asking that when the judge looks at this that he not award us the settlement that the insurance gave us, and that instead they be awarded the amount they need to pay their legal fees out of the awarded amount... and apparently they did not have any fees associated with it so long as the insurance was doing it... as in, the insurance was for exactly this kind of thing. I'd assume that the policy, and maybe even their coverage at all, has been dropped as a result... so perhaps that is why the events have changed. But again it's not my fault that they may have lost their coverage, or had trouble with higher premiums, etc. That's the result of your negligence, not mine.

I was invited into their home, looking to buy it for goodness sake! I had an appointment! We told the lady over the phone that our kids would be with us! We called again from the curb via cell phone to confirm she was home! Dang it! At some point, you'd think she'd put up her 80 pound beast to avoid any possibility of an incident... just for the sake of erring on the side of safety. Man, I can get mad if I don't watch it.

At any rate, they are a little out of line to handle it this way this late in the process.

I'm inclined to find someone that can help me go after them for the anguish it has caused my family since day one... on top of the medical costs.

I mean look... you try and be reasonable and just ask that medical costs be covered - medical costs we would otherwise not have - you try to be a reasonable, mature adult about it... and this is how you're thanked for not making their lives a living nightmare?

I'm close to losing it... my "civility" that is. No, I won't do anything rash, but I'm willing to search out every area of the laws on this and see if I can't make them think twice in the future about being unfair when they are solely responsible.

I'm waiting on some calls right now, but any other leads here will help...

Thanks again.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

being the "nice" guy doesnt always cut it. I would go after them hard initially and if they keep putting up a fight, then get what you can. If they drop the suit/claim/whatever, and agree to never address it again, then that will be your decision whether to end if "civily" or not.

11. WildSweet&Cool

Yeah - I was about to ask.... why are you being a nice guy? Obviously they don't appreciate your lenience. Tour niceties are being wasted and may even be taken advantage of.

I say, go after 'em.

12. bwarren

bwarren Member

Presumably a release was signed by you in which all claims were waived in exchange for the settlement money. Most insurance companies use a mutual release, meaning that all parties waive their claims against each other.

I don't like to use the word, because it gets overused, but this homeowner's claim sounds downright frivolous.

13. IROC it

Thanks, I will definitely follow-up along those lines.

I really don't want to go through the stress of "going after them."

I just want them to stop being insensitive idiots.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

but going after them may be the only way they take a hint.

15. IROC it

UPDATE:

It seems the settlement and everything went through without having to get nasty...

In other words, the judge threw out their counter... it appears.

Here's hoping the latest letter was meaning that... it states that the ad litem guardian has been appointed and the annuity proceedings are next... It states the amount we agreed to has been awarded, etc.

So, it looks as though we're done with all of this, for now.