1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you protect your home from termites?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Gutter Snipe, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

My wife saw one winged ant the other day, so it brought the question of home defense against termites back up. The house originally had anti-termite stakes put in, but that was 10 years ago.

What experiences do you have with termites? How do you protect your home from the lousy wood-chewing buggers?

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

build your house of stone.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damnit space ghost.

my first thought was, don't live in a house made out of wood.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Sentricon.com

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Ditto.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

For the past two years, in the house I have been renting, during the beginning of Spring hundreds of little winged insects pop in a window in the house, are those termites. I am not too concerned as I am renting and not buying this house but maybe it would still be good to know.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We bought a system 3-4 years ago and this year they came out with some new technology/design or something and our PC company came out and replaced the old system with the new at no charge.

The annual renewal is about $160; I don't remember what the original cost was... probably more! Just search for a PC company that touts Sentricon.

8. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

That's great! My parents also have Sentricon, and have had it for almost 10 years (I think). Their house was built in 1990, and they found evidence of termites (a tunnel going into one of the weep holes) in early 1998 or so. But since they had Sentricon put in, no sign of them other than in the traps.

Good stuff.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

How small are they? I believe those are ants, and not termites. Depending on the type of termite (subterranian native or Formosan) they are between 3/8 and 1/2 inch long and they swarm in Spring and Summer respectively. They generally don't enter homes when they swarm, unless they came out from their nest that they have already made in your home...but not through a window from the outside.

10. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

11. ham

ham Member

Samurai.

12. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

When i first read the title i thought it said how do you protect your home from terrorists.

13. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Chuck Norris.