1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronic: Baptism by fire — Brooks stands up to the heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

you have to reread that treat again, that Another Brother says that he is happy that AB refers to Aaron brooks as well......

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

No, I expect it to last 98 because of 4 playoff sweeps. :)

3. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Does anyone have videos of these workouts or are they on nbatv

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Apparently you haven't seen very much of Deron. He abused both Luther Head and Rafer with his post up game. He's got faceup game too. He's a top 3 pg in the NBA right now. His postup game is very efficient, just as good as his faceup game.

5. GMNot

GMNot Member

Hm-m-m-m?

Maybe my memory is foggy but I thought some scout or somebody somewhere (I know that really narows it down :rolleyes: )commented that Brooks speed showed on the defensive end also, in that, it was hard for other players to get around HIM. So maybe he'll do better on the D-end than we imagine.

And maybe Morey and Adelman's "Plan B" didn't translate to "secondary". Maybe it stood for Plan (B)rooks. :D

He might surprise us with playing time in his first year -- depends on multiple factors -- his progress, other player's health.

But, I think, we're all hoping he turns out to be a gem that was overlooked by many.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You beat me to this answer. Obviously he hasn't seen Deron play many games. The improvement over his rookie year was incredible. His slump (not just shooting, everything) near the end of the regular season was a little disturbing. But after sleepwalking through the first two games against us in the playoffs, Deron Williams showed what he was made of the rest of the way. Next season, he will be a top level PG from beginning to end. The guy almost makes me want to cheer the Jazz.

Almost.

GMNot, AB's 1/2 court defense was pretty bad in summer league. He has a lot of fundamentals to learn about what's acceptable in the NBA on that side of the ball.

7. GMNot

GMNot Member

Then I hope he's a "fast" learner. ;)

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

BTW, I am not down on Brooks. I think the kid can play and will make a significant contribution this year. And I think he is the perfect antidote to Parker, CP3, Steve Nash, and the quicker PGs, which seems to be the way most of the league is going.

Guys like Deron and Chauncey, no other points can stop their postup game. And it could be the best way to handle them is to make them work their rear off chasing somebody like Brooks. But in a halfcourt matchup game, he loses at this point, to those kinds of PGs.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No Billips or Deron could get any shot they wanted on Brooks and both are good in midrange, and that would be very bad. But there are not too many of them around the league and we have a flexible roster anyway. Besides, the Rockets bigger problem are the superquicks like Paul, Parker, Barbosa.

[edit in reading later I see jopatmc made most the same points]

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks will get abused by Deron Williams this year. For the record, so will Mike James and Rafer Alston and any other PG. OK, Hinrich might be able to hold him a little bit, but he's the best defensive PG in the league now and his "specialty" is defending the pick-and-roll.

11. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

ive said it before and i'll say it again. brooks will be starting in front of francis/james by midseason.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If I was a betting person, you would be easy money.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Since Adelman uses a lot of players in his rotation, I'd probably guess there'd be more chance they all split time. Unless Brooks is that much better I don't know what we gain by starting the rookie and having the 2 egotistical veterans come off the bench when you could just as easily give them minutes and bring the rookie in later.

14. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Does Adelman play his roster similarly to Don Nelson? Cause if he does, you'll see plenty of Aaron Brooks

15. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I wouldn't doubt that prediction. It just simply depends on how much of an impact he makes for the team when he is in the game.

I just hope that if Rick Adelman puts him in the starting lineup, he doesn't get in early foul trouble. If he starts rather than come in off the bench, then he won't get a chance to see what kind of fouls the referees are calling out there. Some fouls will be called by certain referees while those same fouls won't be called by other referees.

16. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

i didnt finish reading the thread... :eek:

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

STARTING? Yep, expectations are already spiraling out of control.

18. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Great to see the article. I hope this guy is in sponge-mode, just taking in as much advice and experience as he can from the HOFs he's playing with right now. Like most, I was pretty pissed on draft night. With so many galring needs following the playoff boot, I just didn't see the need for an undersized scoring PG who I had never heard of. Obviously, there's usually more to a team's plan than just draft night, and Morey/Adelman have done much more than I could have realistically ever hoped for this off-season. I'm not ready to proclaim Brooks Rookie-of-the-Year, but if he can be a sparkplug off the bench consistently on a contending team as a rookie, consider me happy.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well said.I felt the same way on draft night. I'm rooting for Brooks all the way.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Traditionally, Adelman has had a really short bench. Usually, it's an 8 man rotation at most. That could certainly be a function of the talent he had, but as I remember, it's been across the board.