1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

bcs '01/'02

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Nov 12, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

UT's chances of cracking the rose bowl look to be dwindling. it seems like they need the following to happen:

- Tech must beat ou
    - UT must beat atm
    - UT must beat Nebraska in the Big 12 Title game

some combination of the following events would be necessary but not all:

- Syracuse, Va. Tech or Wash. beating Miami
    - FSU or Tennessee beating Florida
    - Florida beating Tennessee in the SEC Title game [could they meet twice?]

and:

- does Oregon still play anyone who might beat them?

Oregon beating UCLA, ou beating atm and Miami pulling it out against BC this past weekend all hurt UT's chances.

but here's my newfound silver lining. . .

I may want to be careful what I wish for, but I am starting to chomp at the bit for a UT/Florida bowl matchup no matter which bowl it ends up being. that just seems like a tremendous game in the making. it's ironic, but those could be the 2 best teams in the country, and they might meet in a bowl other than the Rose.

simms/williams vs. grossman/gaffney!
    superjam and the 3 cb's vs. the florida passing attack!
    mack daddy brown vs. the evil genius steve spurrier!

whatever happens this year, I'd say there's a good chance that those two programs may be the ones meeting for the Title next year [as in the '02 season].

there's no doubt in my mind, and not just because dale robertson wrote this in today's chronicle, that the 'Horns are the best team in the nation Right Now.

I don't care what bowl in comes in; I want the Longhorns and the Gators to mix it up come January!!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The BCS confuses me. To beat a team, ANY team, 59-0, then to move down in the rankings...

and I'm not even a big college football or UT fan.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Chievous:

Tennessee and Florida cannot meet in the SEC Championship Game because they are both in the East.

You would need the following scenarios:

Florida to beat Tennessee
    Florida State or the SEC West Champ (probably Auburn) to beat Florida
    Oregon State to beat Oregon
    Texas Tech to beat Oklahoma
    Then for the Horns to beat Nebraska in the Big 12 Title Game

I still think that if Texas beats a #1 Nebraska team in the Big 12 title game that they would jump Oregon because of the bonus given for the quality win. However, I don't think Florida will lose again until their bowl game.

If Miami plays like they did this past Saturday, then Texas and Florida could play in the NC if all the other things happen.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok..as I said above, I know little to nothing about college football. I would like to follow the Longhorns though, cause thy're good and I'm a Texan. So, question is...what's their history look like? Ever win any national championships? What about the last ten or twenty years?

Also, if Texas wins out the rest of their game, will they automatically be in the Big 12 Championship game?

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I dont know about the other stuff since i'm not a big texas fan, but OU has to lose one of their last games and UT has to win out to make it to the Big 12 championship.

UT has been decent through the 90's, but they've never been title contenders recently (that i know of...)

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

UT has 3 NC's. Not quite sure of the years but something like 63,68,69 or 69,70 I don't know, maybe they weren't even back to back. Being born in 81 I haven't followed them until recently but I think in 83 they played georgia in a bowl game (cotton) that would've given them the national title had they won but they lost 10-9. may have been 84. Since then we haven't been in the top 10 to finish a season. Assuming we don't stumble against a&M we will break that streak. I am assuming we will then win every national title from now until forever.

7. Major

Major Member

<B>The BCS confuses me. To beat a team, ANY team, 59-0, then to move down in the rankings... </B>

Unfortunately, while Texas stomped a terrible Kansas team 59-0, Florida stomped a very good and ranked South Carolina team almost as handily. Florida has the same record with a tougher schedule, so they deserve to be right there with us. While they lost to a weaker team, they've beaten better teams.

If they win out, they'll add Florida State, #6 Tennessee, and the SEC West champ to their list of victims. At that point, they'll undoubtedly deserve a chance at the Rose Bowl ahead of Texas. If Oregon beats Oregon State next week, they'll also have a pretty good argument, having only lost on the road to 9-2 Stanford, having beaten UCLA and 9-1 Washington State on the road. Unfortunately, that's the problem of playing a weak schedule, as Miami discovered last year.

Next year, all of this will be moot. Texas will play @ North Carolina, @ Nebraska, @ K-State, and Oklahoma which will be one of the tougher schedules in the country. This year, we had one "statement" game and we lost it.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

National Championships:
    1963, 1969, and 1970

Last Top 10 finish: 1983

Heisman Trophies:
    Earl Campbell (?), Ricky Williams (1998)

Big XII Championships: 1996

---

I'm not worried about the BCS. If we win out and OU loses to Tech, we will be playing in the Rose Bowl.

I can't see us playing in the Rose without winning the Big XII. I also don't see 3 Big XII teams playing in the BCS bowls. It will come down to Nebraska and either Texas or OU depending on what OU does in the Big XII championship game.

I really like Tech's chances of knocking off OU in Lubbock. OU looks weak. A&M blew it.

Although we won 59-0, we did it against Kansas. Florida went on the road and killed South Carolina - a top 15 opponent. I can't complain.

9. Smokey

I like Florida State over Florida.

I also expect Miami to lose one.

How about that Major Applewhite? Throwing the ball into the stands after scoring and getting an unsportsmanlike flag.

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR
    simms sucks j/k ;)

#9 Smokey, Nov 13, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2001
  10. chievous minniefield

thanks for the clarification on the SEC, manny.

here's what I'm now hoping for:

1) Tech slams ou and its puny offense; bob stoops gets the goal post shoved up his arse while one of the sideline cameras is in for one of his umpteen-million closeups before, during and after the game. . .

2) Florida beats Tennessee.

3) Syracuse beats Miami.

4) Texas beats atm as r.c slowcum takes the unprecedented measure of running an offense with 11 linemen and no skill players. Texas' defense takes a statistical hit, though, as none of the players record a single tackle. r.c. is fired after the game and replaced by jackie sherrill. [flash forward to the '02 big 12 preseason media gathering, which turns into a grisly affair when bob stoops and jackie sherrill attempt to cannibalize one another. lacking faces on their coaches, atm hires gary kubiak; ou goes back to john blake.]

5) Oregon St. sacks up and beats Oregon. Joey Harrington throws 4 interceptions on his last 4 passes.

6) Texas beats Nebraska in the Big 12 Title game as Cedric Benson rushes for 8,432 yards before coming out in the 3rd quarter. Ron Dayne mysteriously vanishes from the face of the earth.

7) Texas beats Florida in the Rose Bowl. Quentin Jammer intercepts a single-game record of every pass thrown by Rex Grossman [except for one]. Derrick Johnson also sets a single-game record with every tackle made in the entire game. He also wows the crowd on one play when he knocks Rex Grossman out of the game with a vicious hit as Grossman releases the ball, only to then recover to intercept the pass 40-yards down the field just before Jabar Gaffney grabs it for a touchdown. as Johnson returns the interception for a touchdown, Nathan Vasher decapitates Gaffney with a hit more explosive than the one he put on that Tech receiver on that fake punt play. UT wins the national championship as evil genius steve spurrier curls up into the fetal position crying.

at the end of the season, the 'Horns are awarded the National Championship, the Sooners have theirs from last year revoked on account of bob stoops' conduct unbecoming of a human being [the incident with the goal post], spurrier, slocum, sherrill and stoops [hmmm. . .I see a pattern] are all permanently ousted from coaching, and Cedric Benson wins the Heisman Trophy.

some of this is iffy, but I think this is pretty much how it will work out.

HOOK THEM!

11. Smokey

Interesting scenario if Texas loses to Nebraska in the Big XII title game.

With 2 losses, Texas and OU can kiss the BCS bowls goodbye. But who would the Cotton Bowl take? And would Texas prefer to be passed up by the Cotton Bowl again?

I'd take the lesser payout and more traveling distance for fans to play a highly ranked Pac 10 opponent in warm San Diego

over

taking a higher payout, being close to home, playing what could be an unranked SEC team at 10 AM on Jan 1. in freezing Dallas.

12. chievous minniefield

one thing's crystal clear: ou must lose again for Texas to get into a BCS bowl.

first choice: Texas vs. Florida in the Rose Bowl
    second choice: Texas vs. Oregon in the Rose Bowl
    third choice: Texas vs. Anyone in the Rose Bowl
    fourth choice: Texas vs. Florida in Any Bowl
    fifth choice: Texas vs. Oregon in Any Bowl

13. Smokey

I would really like to see Florida vs. Texas.

You couldn't find two coaches with the most opposite personalities.

Brown said he gets along great with Spurrier, but at the OU press conference following Oct. 6th, Stoops said Spurrier had a message for Brown that was not fit to say at a conference.

I bet it had something to do with the eggs Mack lays in big games.

14. chievous minniefield

could the chip on bob stools' shoulder get a little bigger? man, what a colossal prick!! I can't wait for the day when he gets what he has coming to him. actually, I bet he's already getting what he has coming to him. guys like he and spurrier look like people who can never be happy no matter how much "success" they have in their field.

"tell mack brown I've got a message for him from steve spurrier. . ."

ha! that sounds so over-the-top. he sounds like damn yosemite sam. I can picture him twiddling his mustache, if he had a mustache.

I have a hunch that mack brown would say he got along great with pee wee herman rather than get into trash-talking with the press.

I have to laugh at myself, though. after I posted all this stuff, I went and read lopez's column in the chronicle.

2nd day in a row that I've had a symbiotic mindmeld with the chronicle's columnists. . .

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think if OU loses to Tech and we beat A&M and Nebraska, we only need 1 of 2 things to happen to get in the Rose Bowl:

Florida to lose
    OR
    Miami to lose

Both have multiple tough games. Oregon has quality wins, but they also have about 3 wins by less than 4 points where they lucked out. If we beat the #1 team I got to think we would be ahead of them in the BCS regardless of how they play versus OSU (see below). Now if Tennesee runs the table (of course beating Florida) and we win the Big 12 championship over #1 Nebraska, I am not sure what would happen between us and them in the BCS.

But a lot will be cleared up this weekend. If OU wins we would need an aweful lot of miracles to get in the Rose Bowl. Nebraska would have to beat OU in the Big 12 game, plus Miami, Oregon, Florida, Tennesee would all have to lose another game, and Miami might have to lose 2.

Also, Oregon State just might beat Oregon, despite in being in Oregon. OSU is playing much better than their record suggests and they cleaned the Ducks clock last year. Further, if OSU even plays them close, a big win over the Aggies (who have a better record than OSU) might put us in front of them.

Not that I care much between playing in the Cotton, Sugar, Holiday or Orange Bowl, but unless we lose to the Aggies or OU beats both Tech + Nebraska we will more than likely (much better than 50%) go to a non-championship BCS game.