1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SirCharlesFan, Nov 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Since they released "International Superhits" today, I thought I'd start a topic on Green Day...

Does anyone else really dig these guys? They have an awesome ability to create catchy 3 minute punk-pop song after another.

"International Superhits" has 21 songs in all, their 19 previous singles, along with 2 new songs "Maria" and "Poprocks & Coke."

My favorite songs by them are "When I Come Around," "Brain Stew," "Basketcase," and "Minority."

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do yourself a favor and go buy a Minor Threat or a Bad Brains album. These bands rock harder and have more to say.

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

They're no Brittany Spears.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

5. SirCharlesFan

Glad to see i'm not the only Green Day fan here.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The problem with Green Day is the same one with Blink 182. They were a great punk band that had a couple of songs cross over to the pop charts. Now, nobody takes them seriously anymore as a punk group. I still think that they are more punk than Blink 182, but there's better music out there than Green Day. If you really like rock music or punk music, I would get any Offspring album before Americana or Smashing Pumpkins or Soundgarden CD. Also, can't go wrong with Tool, Deftones, Nine Inch Nails, and A Perfect Circle.

7. SirCharlesFan

I agree with you Manny, but I never have understood why people take their music so seriously, like a 'sell out' cant write good music...

I enjoy Green Day, Blink, and the Pumpkins are awesome as well.

I can think of a lot worse than Blink & GD to hear on the radio...

8. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

subtomic: thanks for reminding me! :D

...re-ig-ni-tion...

[​IMG]

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

subtomic, what do you think of "don't blow bubbles" (too late to dig out i against i for the real title). :)

i agree aboot minor threat, etc. Rites of Spring was great too. Mocket blows my socks off still...

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

SCF,
    You are right about a band being called a sell-out if they are able to have one breakthru hit. I quit listening to top 40 close to a year ago and all I really listen to now is stuff like Aphex Twin, Moby, Massive Attack, Radiohead, Delerium, Nine Inch Nails, and Leftfield just to name a few. However, I do have all of Blink 182's CDs except for Buddha and Green Day is OK..I just never have gotten into them too much.

I know you like Matchbox 20 (BTW - I'll admit that I have their 2 CDs - Yourself or Someone Like You is a pretty damn good CD). Some bands that you may like (you may already have them) are Third Eye Blind, Vertical Horizon, Fuel,and the Goo Goo Dolls. The GGD is my all-time favorite rock band. Johnny Rzeznik is an unbelievable singer and guitar player. They were in the same situation as Green Day and Blink 182 in that they were a solid punk-rock band from Buffalo. Then they had the big hit with the ballad, Name. Next thing you know people are saying that they sold out. Isn't the purpose of making records is to sell them?? I'm sure that the GGD, Green Day, and Blink 182 don't miss performing in little clubs and bars for minimum wage.

11. subtomic

Supporting Member

Actually, I've never listened to I Against I all the way through. I really only like the ROIR album and Rock For Light. Bad Brains' later albums were a little too metal for my tastes. But in the early days, Bad Brains sounded like a ****ing atomic bomb.

RIGHT BRIGADE!!!!

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Green Day aren't really trying to be a punk band anymore, so there's really no point in calling them that. They're basically a power pop band now. Their last album, "Warning", has some really good songs on it. Good pop album. I like them okay. I'll go ahead and do the obligatory throwing out of some more names here--if you like Green Day, get the debut albums from TSAR, A, and the Yo-Yo's -- more pop/punk.

13. subtomic

Supporting Member

Johnny Rzeznik an amazing guitar player?!? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Actually, the cynicism comes not when a band sells records, but when they white-bread their songs in order to sell records. Great bands make it on their own artistic standards, not by watering down their music so that record execs aren't frightened. Radiohead is a great example of a band that has stuck to its guns yet sells records. Nobody calls them sellouts. Green Day and the Goo Goo Dolls are examples of bands that play overproduced, extremely bland music (although their earlier efforts were just as bland in my opinion). That's why they're called sellouts.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

People use the term "sell out" like it's a bad thing...Hell, give me enough money and I'll sing a song titled "I'm a Gay Utah Jazz Fan"

Show me the money!