1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Smith: Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Tinman, don't think you really read carefully before you made your judgement. Those words were direct translation from the original link, not pryuen's own word. I am Chinese and I always read pryuen's link directly and sometimes, I came back here to read pr's translation. I can tell you pr's translation is 'literally direct' and very accurate whithout putting much of his own feelings, more like translating some technical document!

I think lots of people are taking pryuen's translation as his own words.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the fact that someone is hating on larry smith bothers me. its an insult to what he's done. that's saying he's a bad coach. a coach knows when to play his players. the fact the haters don't even know how what larry meant to the team and the fans also makes me go fist of the northstar.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

How is the fact that all these people hate Larry Smith not pissing people off?
    Does he REALLY HAVE TO EXPLAIN why he sat a ROOKIE CENTER over a VET?
    Does he REALLY HAVE TO EXPLAIN that he's an NBA COACH?

think about it. Rocket fans don't hate Rocket heroes. According to this translation, all of China hated Larry Smith. He doesn't have to explain SH#$ about his job.

[​IMG]

#23 tinman, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  4. onethreeeleven

The fact that people disagree with what you think upsets you? How strange...

5. Rover16

Rover16 Member

The fact that he can't even land an nba job anymore means he's a bad coach.

6. JustWannaChill

Where did it say it?

You probably referred to this part, right?

Larry Smith, the acting head coach of the Houston Rockets in Yao Ming’s rookie season. With an obvious slit between his 2 front teeth, this black and big guy had been labeled as the Number 1 YOH(Yao Hei/Hater)amongst all Chinese fans all these years, due to the fact that he did not give Yao Ming sufficient play minutes then.

It says Larry Smith has been labeled the number 1 YOH. It didn't say "all China hated Larry Smith".

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Idiotic interviewing question.

What does the TITAN interviewer expect Mr. Mean to say? That's he didn't like Yao? LOL

I'd be interested to see if Yao was indeed hitting a rookie wall as Smith said when he took over the interim head coach job. The stats are out there.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

YOFs still suck.

9. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

FOF are worse though...

and yes they came out of the woodwork :eek:

10. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Now now tinman, you must realise that when a lot lf Yao fans started following him into the NBA, most had no idea what Larry Smith played for the Rockets (heck even I didn't know until now) and simply assumed htat he was a coach who didn't want to play Yao. It's that simple, nothing to do with Rockets historyy. You may be a mine for the old Rockets, but many chinese fans aren't.

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

people who like to throw around stupid labels suck.

Pryuen I appreciate your work and I hope people understand that it takes time to translate these articles. Too bad you cant make a thread private so people you have on ignore cant read it or post in it.

I dont know what I missed or why anyone would be attacking Pryu who seems like a great guy who loves the Rockets.

J

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Larry Smith could kick Yao's ass.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

all chinese fans all these years

14. tinman

Supporting Member

larry smith doesn't deserve the hate for not starting yao (rookie) til he's ready and he doesn't deserve the bad translation either.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

why does Larry Smith get the racial description? Tmac is Black too, you never get that type of translation ( lazy eye and black).

geez, its really really not hard to understand this statement.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

If Kelvin Cato was playing better than Yao :eek: :rolleyes: then Larry Smith should have been playing Cato more minutes.

At that time, we were battling Phoenix for the 8th spot, and if I recall, we won 43 games, one short of phoenix. I don't recall who had the tie breaker though.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Amen. Can I get a witness?

18. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Yeah, but shooting the messenger bothers me too.....

19. onethreeeleven

Let tinman do it, he's really really good at it.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm not shooting down pryuen. i'm letting him know i'm there to explain how it really is. who Larry Smith really is and what he means to us Rocket fans.

he's translating an article that says "LARRY SMITH:pLEASE DONT LET ME BE MISUNDERSTOOD"

I'm letting pryuen and all the readers that its not LARRY SMITH that's doing the misunderstanding. its the people who criticize him. Larry Smith, for those who remember him, was an awesome Rocket and a loyal Rudy T assistant.

Larry Smith built a reputation as a great rebounder. if Yao as a big man couldn't outrebound someone, he has to put someone who was better than him at that time. Why do we need an entire article to prove that??