1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I Need To Excel/Surpass the Other Me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. unt2003

unt2003 Member

thanks for another great post pryuen.
    I hope Yao comes to camp 100% healthy, because the team that Morey has put together, I think, can do some damage this year.

#41 unt2003, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. battousai

battousai Member

marvin you r****d. did you make conveniently created that login just to flame pryuen?

go crawl back to your cave, I don't see you doing anything to contribute into this website.

3. haperkelu

haperkelu New Member

I am a chinese fan , I think the translation is bad..........
    Yao would never say thinks like "unstable tracy"
    I think yao meant tracy is a big star, he will explode sonner or later on court
    Although I like yao, tracy is the spine of the team

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

denniscd, can you translate the article for us?

5. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Maybe you could offer a more suitable translation :rolleyes:

The original sentence is as follows:

在火箭队时,相比更像不稳定因素的麦迪,我觉得我这个人,可以做平稳的基石,可以为你坚持45分钟,但最后3分钟要由麦迪去完成。我认为是这样的。

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

According to another article from the same Jie Fang Daily which owns Shanghai Morning Post, where the interview originated

http://www.jfdaily.com/gb/jfxww/mx/node9667/userobject1ai1742877.html

the interview was conducted in a coffee shop close to where Yao Ming lives in Shanghai, the afternoon of July 28 (Saturday), right after Yao Ming went to watch the Transformer with a couple of his friends in a cinema.

If you find something interesting and worthwhile from Houston Chronicle from Jonathan Feigen, Fran Blinebury or Richard Justice or anybody about Yao Ming or Tracy McGrady or any other players but without any photos etc., will you post the information here to share with the fans? :rolleyes:

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

my suggestion, ignore flaming rookies.

Thanks for the time on the translation pryuen. Interesting to read how Yao considers his position on the team :)

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why bother translating these articles, there are so many ungrateful idiots who only knows how to bash others on this baord.

9. Fuse

Fuse Member

If it's bad... what don't you go ahead and translate it? Instead of b****ing/moaning about someone else's efforts. Same goes to everyone else that critizes Pryuen.

As many posters have alluded to... unstable could mean streaky/injury prone or anything else.

10. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I doubt Yao had a negative meaning behind the word unstable. I think he meant that Tracy may still have some issues that needs to be resolved (like his back issue) before he can return to full consistency. I strongly believe that Yao never meant that Tracy was an unstable person (like Bonzi or Artest for instance). Don't forget that Yao has always had the greatest of respect for Tracy. The jealousy on his part could stem from him being forgotten by the media and fans in the euphoria of Tracy's explosion in the second half of the 1st game of the playoffs. If anything though, he has indicated that it was a temporary feeling!

Ultimately though, don't forget that the mistake could very well be that of the reporter's. I doubt the reporter reported the entire interview et verbatim. I am sure that he must have amended the interview to make it sound more smooth flowing. Problem with amendments is that the slightest 'wrong' amendment can set off quite a large explosion (like a potential Yao v T-Mac recurrence in this forum for instance). So please take this interview in context with the larger picture and with history of our players in mind.

On a final note, I agree with blazer_ben. Yao Ming is gonna own this league come the new season.

11. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Yao is such a cancer.

12. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

I second that

13. kessles

kessles Member

hi, everyone, I am a shanghai fan of houston rocket. i think the translation is quite good, there are few mistakes, but for me, I have same feeling when i read both chinese and english version. now he made mistake about the original source of the artical, but I really don't think it's a big deal. just saying "be more careful next time" would be enough to make him aware of it, and it's much more polite!

I just wanna say that no matter what Yao said, the most important thing is that he will do everything he can as long as on the court, and will be happy from his heart for anything and anyone who lead Rocket to the final victory.

in my point of view, not everyone could be "Mr.Key", well, more precisely, i think not every superstar could be "Mr. Key". I hate to say that, but I don't think Yao is this type of superstar. Tracy is. Actually what yao said is what i wanna hear "... and let tracy takes over last 3 minutes." so don't worry about those "unstable tracy" or some kind of "i'm jealous of tracy" staff, even he did say that, it doesn't really mean he will turn to evil Yao... you know what i mean.

Again, I wanna say thank you to Pryuen for his translation work. You did many thing to this site, and like i said above, I always read both chinese and english version which translated by you, and i learn loads of translation skill from your work, keep it up, :)

oh one more thing, now I regard Houston Rocket as "my team", and guess what, it feels great. Go Rox!!!

14. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Fixed it for you :D

15. dram1

dram1 Member

You haven't even hit double digits on your posts yet.

Why are people even wasting their time with your immature, unfounded, overreactive replies anyway?

Just appreciate that this dude is bringing in some material that he doesn't have to and you can read or not.

While everyone's opinion is definitely welcome and very much appreciated here at Clutchfan's, at some point we have to draw the line that distinguishes honest, sound feedback from those posts that charaterize a DRAMA QUEEN.

STOP WHINING!

16. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

I am a Chinese fan too and I think pryuen's translation is excellent. It may have minor mistakes here and there but overall, PR's translation is EXCELLENT. He didn't get paid for all these and he spend LOTS of his own time (sometimes I doubt if he needs to sleep or work) doing it for many Yao/Rocket fans around the world.

If you don't like it, do it yourself or get out of here.

17. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

pryuen, don't listen to these people who like to complain about all your hard work. It's very much appreciated, and a very good read as always.

You can definitely tell that Yao treats the Chinese media differently than the American media. He seems to be more open with his feelings, and of course a lot more emphasis is put on his representation of the national team and China in general. But all in all he's a class act. He's very respectful, but at the same time, he's competitive and wants to be recognized for his successes, not his faults.

Good read.

:)

18. dram1

dram1 Member

Why is it so hard to believe that Yao may say that Tracy is "unstable?"

He is not exactly telling a lie or being unprofessional.

Had he said anything in Chinese that really is translated as Tracy being unstable, it would not be rude, or mean. It's simply the truth.

Tracy is unstable...Yao knows it...Tracy knows it....all his teammates, new and old know it...we know it.

Tracy is unstable.

His back...his jumpshot...his effort...his agressiveness to the basket...these are all characteristics that could be considered unstable.

But, knowing (as far as we know from what we read), he probably was referring to Tracy's health, which is very "unstable."

I give the man credit for his honesty, as it's a testament to his growing maturity.

19. JJae

JJae Member

So to summarise:

"I am a Machiavellan post-modern funboy of zen out to spank b****es who be needing it."

As much as I liked reading your post (and I am not being sarcastic, there are some interesting and intelligent thoughts, thoughts I shall promptly plagarise in a respectful and honorouble fashion and pop into a peice of p*rn fiction I am currently writing) I cannot help feeling that the whole Houdini-esque Philosophical Justification that " it's okay to annoy people because it's not okay that they get annoyed" rings a bit hollow with me.

Also anyone not autistic knows that if you go out of your way to push the wrong buttons, don't expect to get room service.

Anyway, your post was written in a cordial and thoughtful fashion, so I shall bite my wicked tongue.

Unless of course, you flip a switch as you post-modernist funboys are want to do...

20. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

trust me, this is not how yao speaks. ive always been highly suspicious of either the writers or translators, but this one confirms it.