1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG close to Becoming a Celtic?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRaiderRocket, Jul 29, 2007.

1. RedRaiderRocket

Normally I wont usually buy into KG rumors because they pop up every 5 seconds. But take for what it is worth.

The on-again, off-again deal with the Boston Celtics acquiring Kevin Garnett apparently is back on.

Celtics boss Danny Ainge attempted to trade for the Minnesota Timberwolves star forward prior to the NBA Draft, but the 31-year-old perennial All-Star had no interest in heading to Boston.
    However, things may have changed now that Ainge and the Celtics pulled off the draft day deal with Seattle for Ray Allen.

According to sources, the current deal on the table has the 6-foot-11 Garnett heading to Boston and the Celtics dealing away Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff's hefty expiring contract and Rajon Rondo. There may also be other players and draft picks involved.

It's not quite done, but three industry sources — including one close to the Celtics — told FOXSports.com that its extremely close and could become official within the next 48 hours.

"It's basically done," one source said. "If it does happen, this will make the Celtics relevant again."

There have been numerous discussions during the last week between Ainge and Wolves vice president Kevin McHale, who are good friends dating back to their days playing together on the Celtics.

Garnett has the option to get out of his contract — which pays $22 million next season — after the 2008 campaign and become a free agent. He averaged 22.4 points and 12.8 rebounds per game last season — his 12th in the NBA.

Garnett is a 10-time NBA All-Star and was the league's MVP in 2004. He is also one of the better defensive players in the NBA.

The deal would give Ainge a team that could compete with anyone in the Eastern Conference with the trio of Paul Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The Celtics would also have nearly $60 million in salaries between the three players for next season alone.

The Wolves said during pre-draft trade discussions that they would only send Garnett to a team he wanted to play for, and Garnett previously expressed a disinterest for playing in Boston.

The Wolves would get one of the league's top young players in the 22-year-old Jefferson, who averaged 16 points and 11 boards in 69 games a year ago, and a second-year point guard in Rondo with plenty of potential. They would also get Ratliff's $11.7 million salary, which will come off the books after this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7073708

2. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

I would love that for the Celts. It would make the East a little bit more fun to watch, and to finally bring something positive since the 80s to that franchise, and something positive to that dreadful division!

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

wow.....

all i have to say, thank god he is in the east....

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

As long as he stays away from the west im happy :D

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

This will make losing to the Celtics much less embarrassing.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wow i am happy for KG, him ray allen and paul pierce on the same team? pretty nice.

and if its just jefferson,rondo,ratliff's $ that is very very cheap for garnett. figure gerald green is going to be sent too to minn.

either way i am happy for him since he is in the east

7. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

That's a pretty scary lineup right there, but I don't think they would go that far in the playoffs. Then again, it is the East we're talking about.

8. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

that is wild

9. abundance

abundance Member

That is a scary lineup.

If Lebron can take Daniel "Boobie" Gibson and Gooden to the Finals. Garnett can take Allen and Pierce there, too. East is weak.

10. ChalupaSupreme

Could Pierce be sent in the package to get KG? A superstar for a superstar? If not.. then KG, Allen, and Pierce.. whew I would be scared! If I was in the East

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that lineup could quite possibly roll through the east and be fresh enough to challenge a western conference team. they're definitely not better than the spurs, mavericks, suns, rockets, and jazz but it would bring a little more excitement to that conference.

it's not a bad haul for the t-wolves either. jefferson is very good and rondo has potential.

12. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

man Paul, Ray and KG will make a combined 50 mil salary. it's a win or die situation.

13. bushi63

bushi63 Member

Thats gonna be a cooold ass line up.. east will definitely be relevant again.

14. abundance

abundance Member

The Celtics lose Rondo in the deal, so do they pursue for their starting PG? .
    Rafer to the Celtics? :)

There aren't any starting quality PGs in free agency left.

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They would have a big hole at the point. I wonder if they would have any interest in Rafer.

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

KG, Pierce, Allen and 9 guys from the YMCA would make the Finals out of the East. This would give a nice jolt to the NBA, and make the Celtics relevant again.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

I thought KG didnt want to play for Boston because it's racist‘s city.

18. aamir

aamir Member

I'd love it if they get desperate and give us Jefferson for Rafer :D

/slaps self

Back to reality... would be a very legit pick-up for the Celtics. Their 2-5 would be sick.

19. abundance

abundance Member

Telfair and Gabe Pruitt are their choices for starting PG. If we don't trade JLIII to the Hornets, we can trade him to the Celtics for a 2nd round pick. I wonder if Morey's relationship with the Celtics would hurt more than help in a trade. It would be nice to trade away one of our extra PGs.

20. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

They would have to give up Jefferson to get KG, not Rafer.