1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bucks sign 3 players, what about Yi?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jgreen91, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

They'll sign him when he's ready to sign.

3. jdrock

jdrock Member

The Bucks signing Williams may help us out.. one less guard on the market for the Heat, who are in desperate need of one while we have a surplus.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think Yi will play in Milwaukee. All he has to do is sit out a single year and re-enter the draft. At which point, you better believe the team who picks him will be a team he's approved.

5. spysta

spysta Member

If yi trys to sit out a year and then reenter then the nba should not draft him. He hasnt really proven himself and I dont think its fair that just because of Yaos success he gets special treatment.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

exactly. just watch for pargo, boykins, and knight. if they find thier way to other teams the heat may get desperate.

hopefully the hornets sign pargo, the clipps sign knight or boykins, and whoever the clipps don't sign will choose between the heat and pacers. whichever team loses out will have to trade for rafer. the rockets should end up with either foster or haslem hopefully. :cool:

now back to YI:

first of all, i can't stop saying this - what a dumb move by the bucks to draft him.

Yi is not going to sit out a whole year, and if the bucks refuse to trade him then he will sign...reluctantly. i see him playing for them this year, but continuing to demand a trade.

-by playing well for the bucks he will spark other teams interest to trade for him.
    -by continuing to demand a trade he will be a team distraction and eventually the bucks will have to trade him.

the bucks get something in return (better than yi re-entering the draft next year), and Yi gets to play this season.

works for all.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yi should suck it up and play out his rookie contract. If he is any good, he can enter the FA market and go to any team he likes. If he is no good, what difference does it make then?

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

hopefully pargo will go to greece :D

http://www.superbasket.gr/print.php?a=4932

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Bucks really should have just tried to immediately trade him to GS, LAL, or NYK on draft day. I honestly think they got greedy and wanted him to be a revenue cash cow like Yao is for us. Now, it's a no-win situation and they look dumb regardless.

I doubt Yi will have any kind of immediate impact. Yao came into the league skinny, but with legs already like tree trunks. Yi's just a rail and will get killed on the boards unless he's 10x more tenacious than I've seen.

My bet is on a holdout that extends at least into October.

Evan

10. Knight

Knight Member

LOL.. if Yi does decide to sit out the year and reenter the NBA draft, then there should be an agreement that whoever's got the last pick in the second round should just give the pick to the Bucks, who then uses this pick to redrafts him.

Then repeat this exercise year after year until Yi finally signs.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Now that Mason and Williams have signed, the Bucks are focusing on Charlie Bell. After Bell signs, all attention will be on Yi.

12. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

The NBA should institute a rule that says if a player doesn't play for the team that drafts him, he should be banned from the league. At least for a few years. If a player isn't willing to play for whoever drafts him, he should do something else with his career. I have very little sympathy for multi millionaires and billionaires when business deals don't go perfectly for them, but if someone invests in an NBA team, they shouldn't have to take this kind of crap from people like Yi and Francis who put themselves before the team before they even play one minute of NBA basketball. Take the millions of dollars they are trying to give you and STFU until your contract is up.

13. Nuge

Nuge Member

Can Yi really re-enter the draft next year or do the Bucks reserve his rights for a few years?

Luis Scola was drafted in 2002 but the Spurs still had his draft rights. Is this different?

14. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

If Yi sits out a whole year without playing for anybody then i believe he can re-enter the draft.

15. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I'm not really sure, but I think he has to not play pro ball for a year, then I think he'll get his draft rights back.

16. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I don't really see how the CNT and/or Tigers will allow him to sit out a year especially if the 2008 Olympics coming up. Yi is painting himself into a corner.

17. Williamson

I'm with you on this. I've been saying this all along. The Bucks drafted Yi because they want revenue from China. They wanted it so bad that they ignored the fact he wouldn't come work out for them and had said he wouldn't play for them. Now they look like idiots. I could have understood it pre-Fran Vazquez and Vassillis Spanoulis, but not after. Now we know some foreign born players will just stay (or go back) overseas if they aren't happy with the situation.

The Bucks got greedy and are getting what they deserve. I feel bad for their fans.

18. bjshot

bjshot Member

noway. Team of Yi is stupid but not that stupid.

19. Williamson

What's stupid about it? I can remember Jim Jackson sitting out a year in contract negotiations with Dallas.

If he goes to Milwaukee and they don't decide to trade him, he's stuck there for a minimum of four years before he can be an unrestricted free agent. Which would you do if you had a choice between sitting out a year or being some place you don't want to be for four years? I'd sit it out and get the situation I want.

20. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

Amen.