1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 13, 2007.

1. James23

James23 Member

Is Aaron Brooks 6'? He looks smaller than that. But anyhow, I hope he turns out to be the next the former Cavs and Wolves Terrell Brandon. If that is the case, the Rockets will be able to compete with the Suns, Mavs and Spurs. With Alston and Mike James running the point, I don't think the Rockets can beat those three teams to win the NBA Championship.

2. robertk232

robertk232 Member

Brooks is more like 5'10"

I go to Oregon and saw him around campus often. It's funny to see him listed as 6'1" in some articles lately

3. Howry

Howry Member

Its funny you mention Terrell Brandon. He was the last Duck to lead the pac-10 in scoring until Brooks did it this past year.

4. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

its funny how many people signed up just to say something about this kid

its like there is going to be so many AOF OR AOH

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

5-10 or 6-1 he can still fly like he's 6-5, I don't know many guys that short that can do alley oop dunks. All he needs is to work on his strength which will come with the years in the weight room and he'll be physically complete.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Brooks got ranked Number 1 in Rookie Rankings for the Summer League.

http://www.nba.com/rookies/rankings.html

1. Aaron Brooks, G, Houston

G MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%
    5 31.8 21.4 3.2 5.2 0.20 0.00 .461 .419 .857

Drafted: 26
    The T-Mobile Rookie of the Month finished seventh in scoring and sixth in assists in the NBA Summer League. His quickness is obvious, and he also proved that he can shoot the rock, hitting 13-of-31 from downtown. But one wonders if his playing time took a hit with the Rockets' acquisition of Steve Francis.

7. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I'm still fuming a bit about Glen Big Baby Davis.

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aaron Brooks is the real deal.

He will get into the lane at will setting up our big guns and will drain wide open jumpers from downtown until the cows come home.

As mentioned he has eyes in the back of his head...courtvision out the kazoo.

....also the fast break,something that has long been extinct here will flourish.

This kid has the potential to become the best point guard in the history of the franchise......He possesses the same kind of talent level that Calvin had,but I'd compare him to Tiny Archibald.

I know these are bold statements......gotta live by them though.
    AB has Hall of Fame upside.Worst case scenario,he starts in the League for many years and makes a couple of All Star games.

#128 Plowman, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I just drove by Terrell Brandon's barber shop the other day. Didn't stop in for a cut though.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm glad everybody is on the bandwagon. However, I'm waiting to buy my ticket until after he plays real NBA players. Like his twin (JL3) last summer, he is tearing up the summer league, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I want to see what he can do against real offenses and defenses.

11. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Updated article for Wednesday July 18, 2007

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Brooks_impresses_with_his_summ-232119-34.html

Making a Point
    Brooks impresses Rockets -- and his critics -- with his summer league play

Damien Pierce
    Rockets.com Staff Writer
    LAS VEGAS -- Less than a month after being selected in the NBA Draft and signing his first contract, Aaron Brooks can comfortably say he's making progress.

He has, after all, already changed the mind of some skeptics who questioned why the Rockets would select him in the first round.

While the former Oregon point guard hasn't played a single minute in the NBA, Brooks altered some opinions with one dazzling week in the NBA summer league.

"I was never trying to prove anything to the doubters," Brooks said. "I'm here to work hard and play hard for the team that picked me. But I do think that I surprised some people."

Brooks, the No. 26 pick in last month's NBA Draft, certainly showed why the Rockets wanted him in the first round.

Blending his blazing speed and accurate shooting range, the Rockets' rookie put on a show in his first week as an NBA point guard.

Brooks guided Houston to a 4-1 record in the summer league, leading the team with 21.4 points and 5.2 assists. He was largely responsible for shouldering the offense when Houston slipped behind by double digits in several games.

While the summer league was supposed to be a showcase for NBA lottery picks like Seattle's Kevin Durant and Portland's Greg Oden, Brooks was the one named the top rookie of the event.

Along with answering his critics with such play, the 6-foot, 160-pound point guard received glowing reviews from the people who already knew what he was capable of.

"He did exactly what we hoped he would do," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "He's extremely quick in the open court. You just can't keep him in front of you. But what I think makes him different than other guys is he really shoots the three. He's going to have some problems against some guards size-wise, but they're also going to have problems with him."

The Rockets envision Brooks as a point guard who can change a game with his quickness. That's something that he had little trouble doing in Las Vegas. He routinely broke down defenses off the dribble and, on more than a handful of occasions, turned a routine in-bounds pass into a fast break.

"He's always looking to get up the floor," Rockets rookie forward Carl Landry said.

The biggest question heading into the NBA Draft -- aside from his size -- was whether Brooks could effectively run an NBA offense.

During his career at Oregon, Brooks was a combination guard who was more highly touted for his shooting than passing. That made some NBA scouts question whether he could be a point guard in the league. But by navigating the Rockets through the summer league, Brooks showed that he is capable of running a team.

Brooks said he got more comfortable running the point as the week went on.

"I got a feel for where the players are going to be and I got a feel for the offense," Brooks said. "That's probably the most important thing to come out of my time in the summer league."

Rockets assistant coach Elston Turner, who coached the summer league team, could see Brooks' progress on a nightly basis. After committing nine turnovers in a setback to Dallas in his second game, Brooks slowed himself down and did a better job of limiting his mistakes in the final three games.

"I could see him get into a comfort zone with what he was running," Turner said. "He started to pick it up and pick his spots -- when to make plays and use his speed. He wasn't all the way helter-skelter. He got us into stuff. That's what we needed from him. When we needed him to pick up the pace, he did exactly that. He actually played like he's been in the league before, like a veteran would play. That's a real good sign for a young guy."

Brooks expects his speed to become an asset to Adelman.

Since his days in Portland and Sacramento, the Rockets coach has preferred a quicker pace and no one on Houston's roster is quicker than Brooks.

Adelman was already envisioning how Brooks might fit into his lineup -- this season.

"I like the way he can change the game," Adelman said. "And when you're playing with Tracy (McGrady) and Yao (Ming) and you can knock down threes, that puts a lot of pressure on the other team. So I would not hesitate to play Aaron. I've always felt like a rookie can play. There's no reason he can't play. I think he's ready to step in and contribute because of his confidence and the way he plays."

Brooks certainly showed that he's capable of contributing after being named the top rookie in Las Vegas.

Still, the point guard has more to learn and he'll have to compete with two other point guards -- Rafer Alston and Mike James -- for playing time.

Brooks knows there is more progress to be made.

"I'm going to have a different role with the Rockets during the season than I had in the summer league," Brooks said. "I might bring the ball up sometimes or I might not since they got a great core. My attention will probably be on changing the pace of the game. I'm just going to play hard and whatever happens, happens."

12. Rover16

Rover16 Member

I like brooks more and more. Power to the little guys!

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. momosworld

momosworld Member

Sorry, but with all due respect, the worst case scenario is he is a Summer league star that never really makes the adjustment and bounces around for a couple of years before fading out of memory. Starting in the league for many years and making a couple of All-Star Games would be one of the much better scenarios.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They took pics of him in Yao's shorts.

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

brooks looks like a lil kid

17. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

18. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

nevermind he's got awesome hops. :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOLngZFLRJ0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JOLngZFLRJ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqMoU4qxjLk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqMoU4qxjLk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSS7jmuPO-g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZSS7jmuPO-g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVjz2ngZGtw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVjz2ngZGtw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anyone else see a little chris rock in him?

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Heck, Brooks is barely big enough to see over his shoe laces. He is so small he can run through the playground monkeybars without breaking stride. He is so small Gary Coleman can post him up. He is so small Chuck Hayes looks like a center. He is so small Thumbellina was his first date. :D

I notice Dallas has already signed Fazekas.

#140 thumbs, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007