1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Mention About Udonis Haslem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Rover16

Rover16 Member

We got scola. No need for haslem. Scola will be playing 35 mins/game. :cool:

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yao still has a 16.5 rebound rate while Dikembe has a 21.8 rebound rate.

Shaq has a 15.4 rebound rate, and Alonzo has a 13.4 rebound rate.

You can't use that argument for Hayes that "he has bad rebounders around him so he gets more rebounds". Especially when comparing him with someone like Haslem whose team doesn't have the rebounders the Rockets do.

3. Astockmarketgod

just Rafer and JL3 please...

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Now, given EVERYTHING I said, I wouldn't be devastated if we traded Alston (not Head) for Haslem. We'd just be trading a PG we don't need for a PF we don't need. A lateral move.

I wouldn't like how it works out basketball-wise, obviously, but in the big scheme of things, whether we should play Haslem insead of Hayes is a bit trivial because of how good all our other players are. Projection-wise, we'd probably win 3 or 4 more games if we played Hayes instead of Haslem (and yes, there is a system to predict that statistically).

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Ah alright, my bad then... well one last argument I can think of: Chuck tends to get into foul trouble real quick! So when Scola gets hurt or doesn`t produce as we jope him to do, then Chuck might limit his minutes himself by getting into foul trouble.

6. abundance

abundance Member

Shaq isn't stealing any rebounds from Haslem. He has missed 65 games throughout the last 2 seasons and got 7.4 rebounds/game, last year, compared to Yao's 9.4 rebounds/game. I don't think Haslem is bad rebounder though. Like somebody said earlier, he is a combo of Juwan/Hayes, with his midrange shooting and rebounding.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yes, Chuck Hayes is foul-prone but not enough to where he can't play 30 mpg. Scola getting injured or not panning out is the only reason I want us to make one more trade to get rid of Rafer to bring another big in but again, there are better fits out there than Haslem (Foster).

8. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

I think rebound rates,like other stats, are guides to comparing players but it is does not tell the whole story.

For example, Hayes, who is not an offensive threat should have an easier time getting offensive rebounds because his defender would sag off him and would not be in position to box him out as well they do Yao/Shaq/better offensive C/PFs, who get double teamed and which defenses try hardest to keep out of the paint even when they are not yet fighting for rebounds.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I don't agree with that at all. The Miami team was a mess last year and it dragged everybody down.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

So true! That guy is in his own world sometimes! :D

11. t-mac+yao=RING

t-mac+yao=RING New Member

See the thing with Scola hes not a good rebounder, and I know haslem isnt that great either but hes better than Scola.

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I'd rather we traded Rafer for Doleac and Simien straight up. That would give us two expiring contracts, allowing us to us the MLE next summer while staying under the luxury tax threshold. Haslem is slightly on the overpaid side.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

James Francis Brooks Alston Lucas Sura
    McGrady Bonzi Head
    Battier Snyder Reed Harris
    Scola Novak
    Yao Butler
    69.915M (17 players)

- Sura
    66.075M (16 players)

Trade Alston, Snyder, & draft rights to Landry (6.9M) for Haslem (6.05M)

S&T Hayes (from 2.6M to 3.9M) for Doleac (3.12M)
    -Incentive for Hayes is to get a bigger contract.
    -Rockets get Haslem, Miami gets to dump Doleac's contract.

- 850K + 3.12M
    68.345M (16 players)

Lucas to Hornets via minimum salary exception
    -no TE is generated.

- Lucas
    67.574M (15 players)

James Francis Brooks
    McGrady Bonzi Head
    Battier Reed Harris
    Scola Haslem Novak
    Yao Doleac Butler

If they're still over they could shop Reed before the trade deadline or cut Harris's non-guaranteed contract

Luxury Tax: $67.865M
    Team Salary: $67.574M

14. Bald Puppet

Bald Puppet Member

I think Scola and Hayes are all we need at PF. Keep Rafer, Snyder, and Head for our depth. Start the season now. ;)

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hayes compliments Yao and his shortcomings? Are you serious? The main complaint since Yao has been here is that we didn't have a PF that compliments his shortcomings. Haslem isn't that PF either, but he is better than Hayes.

16. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Get it done Morey..Haslem would be the finally piece IMO that we need...we can def be a great team without Haslem but it wouldnt hurt a bit to acquire...Rockets would have more depth then alomst anyother team out there...right now with or without haslem we are a top 3 team in the west/NBA

17. YAO#11

YAO#11 Member

Would Jeff Foster be a better choice? :D

18. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

Rafer + Luther for Foster?

Rafer is more experienced than Diener and Luther is more proven than Rush so this might work especially if Indiana plans to trade Tinsley.

How about Shareef? If Sac trades Bibby, they'll need a PG and they have a glut at PF.

For me, Foster seems like a better complement but Shareef would provide more scoring from the big man position if Yao/Scola is not available.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Do you mean if Scola can't come because of buyout issues?

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You do have a habit of repeating the same point again and again and ignoring arguments that you can't reply, don't you?

How do you explain that Haslem has been playing 30+ mpg for the last 3 season, one of which a championship season, and Hayes never played more than 20 mpg for a team who had lots of injuries? (BTW, Hayes probably couldn't have played more even if he had more talent because he would have fouled out by the 3rd quarter if he were played more.)

When you have a player who can't shoot, you are putting a lot of pressure on the other 4 players offensively. You NEVER had a good answer for Hayes' offensive liability, because you don't have one.