1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis' Performance in Extended Minutes Last Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Jul 20, 2007.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I took a look at Steve's game logs from last year and was surprised to see that he really finished the season with a bang, scoring 22, 28, 26, and 24 points in his last four contests. This led me to delve a little deeper, and I compiled some of the numbers he posted in the games in which he played 35 minutes or more. They look like this:

G - 13
    PPG - 18.9
    RPG - 4.85
    APG - 4.54
    TO - 3.23
    FG% - .455 (71/156)
    FT% - .792 (80/101)
    3P% - .421 (24/57)

The sample size obviously leaves a lot to be desired (remember, he only played in 44 games last year), so these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm also not sure if he put up these stats playing PG or SG primarily. That said, these numbers do suggest a few things to me. Mostly that if Steve can stay healthy and log substantial minutes, the player we're getting is very similar to the player we traded 3 years ago. A very effective scorer, a strong rebounder at his position, and still with a troubling tendency to turn the ball over.

Now this isn't terribly surprising as Stevie's only 30, but I do have some concerns. I mostly worry about his ability to keep the turnovers under control. I've felt like the team has done a fairly good job at not giving away possessions in the last three years, and I hope that the addition of Steve isn't signaling the return of 20+ TO games being a regular occurence. I also wonder about his effectiveness in a limited role. He was really bad last year when he came off the bench, and while I don't believe that Steve's role next year should be as a sixth man, I'm not sure how effective he'll be as a 3rd or 4th option next year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Steve back, especially for what we're paying him. In fact, I think many of us will be pleasantly surprised by how little his skills have eroded. I just think that we should keep in mind that many of his flaws are still likely present as well.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't want to be argumentative or anything, but surely you can see how those stats might be a little bit misleading. It's not entirely too suprising that in the games where he played more minutes, he was playing well.

3. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

I estimate in this offense if he could average around 16 ppg, 4 reb., 4 ast., and a steal or two, we'll be among the top 3 teams in the NBA.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I just wish there was more video out there on him from last season so we could get a sense of where his athleticism/quickness is. These are still the only few vids I can find:

Steal and dunk vs. the Hawks
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSbM9InkCGk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSbM9InkCGk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Game winner vs. the Wizards
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YHbyQA_ljFk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YHbyQA_ljFk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This vid is interesting. It's a post game interview with Steve with highlights mixed in (about 35 seconds in). Shows that he's gotten markedly better at catching and shooting 3s.
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X6NCgLTBNjo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X6NCgLTBNjo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

I do not know why everyone thinks this guy is washed up. He has been a baller all his career save the last season. And he is only 30 that is not that old for a guy as talented as he is. I believe on a bad team he could put numbers in the range of 20ppg. This team will juice him for about 15, 5, and 5.

6. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

Honestly his overall stats aren't that bad.... everybody's saying he sucked.
    Yes, he had a very limited role in NY, but he also never wanted to be there, it's hard to be great when you feel stuck. I'm sure he's excited about being back and Houston, and he will do better with that said his stats from last year are
    11.3 pts, 3.9 ast, 3.6 reb all in only 28.1 minutes of 44 games, only starting 30.

even if he averages the same kinda numbers, in a line-up with Yao and T-Mac it's really all we need from him.

He was only bad in NY, so that was clearly a bad situation for him.
    Look at his Orlando numbers and they're very similar to his numbers in Houston.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think within 5 minutes of being in the game together. Yao and Francis will hook up on a alley oop.

Rocket River

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The sample is so small, and considering his knee and ankle problems, any stats taken from last year would be misleading to some degree.

That said, consider that 6 of the games mentioned took place in a 7 game stretch from March 3rd to March 20th, and 4 came consecutively from April 13th to April 18th. The other 3 all were played in the first month of the season. I can see how you might get the impression that these numbers were just cherry picked, but consider that they were taken from points in the season when he was consistently getting playing time.

9. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I just love the fact that we now have 5 guys (That's a starting line up) that can score 20+ on any given night.

Yao
    T-Mac
    Bonzi
    Steve
    James

And to lesser extents:
    Head
    Battier
    Brooks?
    Alston

Since we should see a lot more motion in our offense, there should be no reason that our big 2 will have ot carry the load. Steve, even if he is half the player he was in Houston (including half the turnovers), should get around: 15, 6, 6.

As far as play making, I think that everyone will take turns considering we have so many differnt players now. His turnovers should decrease because of this...
    Imagine:

Yao
    Scola
    Tmac
    Steve
    James

Every single one of those players can get their own shot and create for others. Scary.

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

the biggest prob with steve is that he still thinks hes a star, as do most people here as well.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what's really fun to imagine is on the off chance that the rockets don't trade rafer they can feild a team of: yao, tmac, steve, james, rafer

rafer isn't the best player in the world but he can push the ball w/o turning it over. the rest of the guys run the break (faster than thier counterparts would), while yao is the guy who starts the fast break.

you can also gear a lineup for yao using small ball the rest of the way: yao shane, tmac, steve, james. this would spread the floor for yao to work. all 4 players are 3pt threats. and going small the rest of the way would allow our guys to be quicker than the defense when cutting to the basket.

12. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Dribble dribble dribble .... turnover.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I'm looking foward to seeing T-Mac hit Franchise for some alley oops. This is going to be fun.

14. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

To an extent. I just hope him and T-Mac don't get into it. Yao will be available for everybody ;) .

15. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

honestly i dont think francis has changed one bit. he still had dribble diarrhea in new york. he better not have it here and take t-mac out of the game.

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

What would be even better is if Francis lobs an alley oop for Tmac 5 minutes into the game :p

17. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

And this is new because.....

ok guess some of us haven't been tracking the Franchise's play like some of us already.