1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis Bought out: Shall we make a run?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Jul 11, 2007.

1. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

funny thing is...I remember Adelman saying he didn't like Mobley. That the offense stops once the ball is in Mobley's hands cause he jacks up a shot.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think they would be happy to move Mobley. He's overpriced and nearing the end of his prime. I think Alston, Sura and Head would get it done. I just don't know if I would do it. I'd also try to move Reed for Aaron Williams as well. He's an veteran with an expiring contract who still has some game left.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow, when was there this much "insider" info on one subject? All of that is getting me really excited about Francis coming back home. Although, if it turns out to be false, It's gonna be a HUGE disappointment. From what we've heard, we have a really good chance to land him. Our Starting Lineup may be stacked, but our bench still needs work. If you look at all the top teams, they have a deep bench, something we have been lacking for a while. Steve Francis can change all that. Money is definitely not a big factor, or so they say:

Best choice for him would be Houston. Clippers aren't winning the 'ship anytime soon and I don't know if adding Francis alone can get the Heat back to the Finals. With the addition of another scorer like Francis, we can hang with the high scoring teams like Dallas and Phoenix. I also would like to see how the Spurs will handle us now. They can't concentrate their defense solely on Yao and T-Mac anymore, there's much more firepower this time around.

4. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

PG: Mike James | Steve Francis | Aaron Brooks
    SG: Cuttino Mobley | Bonzi Wells
    SF: Tracy McGrady | Kirk Snyder | Steve Novak
    PF: Shane Battier | Lois Scola | Chuck Hayes
    CN: Yao Ming | Dikembe Mutombo

D-League: Carl Landry, Jackie Butler, Justin Reed

5. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

That...is very nearly an NBA All-Star Team in itself.

6. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Mobley YESSSSS! Francis Hell Nooooooooooooo! James and SF is not a good fit. It is a huge gamble that these 2 guys will both turn around from horrible years last year. James does play defense at times and can bring some energy off the bench. So a Alston/James tandem is at worst average. SF shoots poorly and turns the ball over a lot and has never played defense. I cannot believe so many on this board want him back. He has to have the ball in his hands to be even remotely effective. Please let all this SF stuff be BS. Mobley on the other hand is an upgrade over Snyder, Head, James, Wells, or whoever else you want to call our SG (when TMac's at the 3).

7. Northside Moss

I wouldn't even do Luther for Mobley.

Some of you guys are crazy. :confused:

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

As much as I think Landry has great potential, I don't think he stands a chance of cracking this lineup...unless they'd rather have Landry over Novak.

9. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

no way!!! mobley was poision. he refused to pass to yao and felt he was 2nd fiddle above yao with steve as 1st chair.

steve and yao have a great relationship. with tmac having either yao or steve to distribute to? damn. yeah i'm officially ok with stevie in our 15.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

To each their own, I guess...

11. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

The offense would flow through TMac. It would be nice to have three players who are quick at their positions and know how to get open for shots. James, Battier and Mobley are good spot up three-shooters. Getting toughness/athleticism off the bench is also nice with Francis, Bonzi, Scola, Hayes.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Mobley makes an average of 9 million a year for the next 3 years. That too for a player clearly on the decline... Please god, DO NOT DO THAT. I don't care if that's what will bring Steve home.

The trades have been great so far because we got good players at good contracts. Mobley doesn't fit with that mold.

13. jasonh42

jasonh42 Member

Steve might be back but there is no way Mobley is going to be on this team

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll admit to not having seen Cat play much the last couple of years, but I'd have to say the same about Francis. All this talk is probably just contributing to carpal tunnel syndrome, and little else, anyway. ;)

15. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Don't care that Yao and Steve get along. I never said Steve was a bad guy. I always admired his fire on the court, but he is not a spot up shooter and must have the ball in his hand to score. We don't need T-Mac distributing to Steve Francis we need Steve Francis distributing to Yao and T-Mac which is not his strength. Mobley has always been a good defender and a decent spot up defender. He is also quick. I am having second thoughts about wanting him and his contract though. I didn't realize it was so much for so long. We would be best served if we could get Jason Williams from the Heat as our backup. I think he would fit Adelman's style better than sf3 and his contract expires next year (quite a bit of cap room).

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The contract is a killer for Mobes. The only way Francis looks good to me is if we get him for the LLE.

17. jasonh42

jasonh42 Member

Francis for cheap is a good move and he would give us a good player off the bench

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If Francis signs with LA and Miami still needs their point guard, I would be happy to trade Rafer and Sura for J-Will's expiring. Although, I don't know if they feel that Rafer is much better than J-Will.

19. anon3803

anon3803 Member

Real convincing there. All those capital letters and O's is really going to sway me. :rolleyes:

Quit spewing your trash and misconceptions. I refuted your argument back on page 12 of this very thread with these exact same statistics, and yet you still can't come up with something new.

Never?
    Shooting?
    Career FG%: SF: .429 Alston: .384 Mobley: .433 James: .431
    Career 3PT%: SF: .343 Alston: .358 Mobley: .381 James: .382
    Career FT%: SF: .799 Alston: .729 Mobley: .838 James: .803
    Rafer's the only loser in this bunch.

Maybe you should look at the money situation. We would be paying SF 1/3 or less of what we would have to pay Mobley, and it's not like we have alot of cap room to spend.

20. BBall Scientist

Obviously this is just pure speculation but a team of :

PG Francis/James/Brooks
    SG Mobley/Wells/Snyder
    SF McGrady/Battier/Reed or Harris
    PF Scola/Hayes/Landry
    C Yao/Buter/Mutombo

coached by Adelman is insanely good on offense with the rules changes.