1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola's rebounding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Boaz, Jul 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. scola

scola Member

Stats in their last season in the ACB league:

Nocioni 30,3 min. 7,6 reb. (because of several injured teammates, played as a 4 lots of matches).

Oberto 28,5 min. 7,2 reb.

Scola 29,6 min. 7,17 reb.

Garbajosa 32,6 min. 6,3 reb.

2. scola

scola Member

If with "one of the biggest" you refer to his size, you are mistaken.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I doubt whether any of his game borders on star status. Remember the Spurs gave him away, so my guess is that he is worse than Oberto, Elson and Splitter, a bunch of fair/good role players. There are a lot expectations for Scola but I don't know that he'll meet them.

4. abundance

abundance Member

So how many rebounds do you think he can get? :)

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was referring to his size and I thank you for pointing that out,but there is no doubt in my mind that the 4/5 he will be going up against will be more aggressive and better rebounders than the ones he went up against in Europe.
    The bottom line is the same,he will need to improve a lot on the defensive end and rebounding in the NBA. I'm not trying to put him down,I'm excited about his scoring potential, his positive attitude and toughness but like any player he needs to get better so he can become effective on both ends of the court.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is very encouraging. His numbers are similar to Scola's in Europe, size is closer to Scola than Nocioni, plays in West, and has a better rebounding rate than Yao in the NBA! My concerns with Scola are on whether he can stay out of foul trouble and if he can keep the turnovers down.

7. scola

scola Member

Elson, Oberto and Splitter are centers, which is what the Spurs wanted. Scola can's play at C, and Duncan doesn't like to play as a C. So Scola would have played little minutes anyway.

Stats in the ACB league:

Scola 29,6 min. 17 pts - 7,17 reb - 2,4 as.

Oberto: 28,5 min. 14,1 pts - 7,2 reb - 2,1 as.

Splitter: 23,6 min. 11,3 pts - 5,3 reb - 0,6 as.

Elson: 27,4 min. 9,7 pts - 8,2 reb - 0,9 as.

8. SupraJames

SupraJames Member

From the videos I've seen of Scola, he's an average rebounder at best. At age 27, I don't think he's going to improve much but I do think he will adapt into the playing style in the NBA. He's like a Chuck lite version with a much more polished offense. I don't think the Rockets got him for his rebounding, but for his help defense (supposedly good) and his ability to finish around the basket, which looks exceptionally well, given he's "only" 6'9.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

these are my concerns as well. between yao, hayes, and scola, the teams foul count will be off the chart.

10. scola

scola Member

I agree. But at 27, he won't make radical improvements. With the skills he has now, he will do well after adapting to the NBA game.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Disclaimer: I'm basing this purely off the 1/2 dozen or so games I've seen him play with Argentina.

He's not a good defensive rebounder. He's plenty strong, athletic, and hard-working, but he doesn't have much of a nose for where the ball is going. He's a better offensive rebounder, and even better at finishing on those offense rebounds.

He probably won't even be as good a rebounder as Juwan Howard right now. In another class defensively, but not as good a rebounder.

12. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Random question, hopefully you can answer this scola. Does Luis have a wife or any kids yet? I know at the press conference he mentioned talking about moving to Houston with his family already, but he wasn't real specific on it (or maybe I missed it). Thanks.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

I had a look at the EL numbers which seemed to be closer.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

6.2 rebounds a game this year if he plays 25 minutes a game is my prediction...

He's probably already the team's best passing big forward. When he goes for layups he goes TOWARD the goal, no falling backwards and fadeaway stuff. Maybe that might result in fouls in his favor and an extra foul shot or 2...just hoping.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't expect him to do more than that as far as rebounding goes. If he adapts fairly well and fights hard on the boards that's good enough.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Last Euroleague numbers from euroleague.net

Nocioni 26:23mins 5.8rebs
    Garbajosa 35:10mins 6.9rebs
    Oberto 27:18mins 5.6rebs
    Scola 26:28mins 5.9rebs

Last NBA numbers

Nocioni 26:30mins 5.7rebs
    Garbajosa 28:30mins 4.9rebs
    Oberto 17:18mins 4.7rebs

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Rebounds will fall in lap on the offensive since teams will be forced to play the Rockets straight up with hopefully better shooting from the PG spot. Rafer missed so many shots badly no one knew where the rock was going.

On the defensive end, I like his height 6'9" and hustle to go get lose rebounds. Utah had 3 shots to make 1 in game 7.

18. scola

scola Member

No, as far as I know Scola has not a "family of his own" yet.

Talking about family, he is son and nephew of pretty successful Argentine basketball players.

His father Mario Scola played pro basketball in Argentina and in youth national teams. His uncle, Jorge Becerra was a national team player between 1971 and 1975.

19. Northside Moss

I don't think we should worry too much about the 4 rotation, if anything, I think its starting to look like Chuck Hayes/Scola complement each other really well to complement Yao, if you know what I'm saying.

20. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

Damn you Spur worshippers. Is this some sort of cult? "If the Spurs weren't clamoring for him, then there must be something wrong..."

"All praise the mighty Pop, who can read the stars to predict the future!"

How 'bout if the Spurs didn't tank in '96-'97, they'd still be fishing for their first championship. The Spurs have clearly made good basketball personell decisions, but that doesn't make them fool proof. The Spurs management are not omniscient. They are allowed to make personnel mistakes like anyone else.