1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Morey: Francis-to-Rockets a "longshot" ([Fox] Rox have shot at Francis)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 17, 2007.

1. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

I imagine a whole lot better than Juwan Howard.

2. Manuel Romney

Manuel Romney Contributing Member

Yeah I know it sounds funny, but that's how I'm connected in this particular situation, I'm just telling you what I was told. I am friends with one of the Rockets scouts though (since 6th grade)... I haven't asked him, but wouldn't post what he'd tell me on here anyways.

3. rocketsmetalspd

So, by this coming Sunday SF3 will sign with Rockets. If this happens I will be very happy and can't believe what this Summer brought to H-Town.

4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Fair enough, any other details or just the deal will be done by the end of the week?

Morey did say that in the case of Steve's talent, you sign him and worry about how he's going to fit in later, hmmm... I just don't see any real minutes for him on this team though!!! :confused:

If Bonzi wasn't on the team, sure, I'd see how it would work with Head, JLIII, and Snyder moved, but...

5. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

okay so this topic about francis has been brought up way too many times.

first off, steve francis is not the same as he was in 2004. yes i've seen the excessive dribbling, but i've also seen him play in new york a couple of games as well. believe it or not, he has matured a little bit. He doesn't nearly dribble as much because he's accepted that he's not the main man. I mean, he was on the Knicks last year and no matter how awful that teams was, he still didn't try to become the man. So we know he wont try to take Yao and Tmac's roles away. And outta the games I've seen him play in NY last year, he played the 2 guard off of marbury and was a pretty good spot up shooter from 3pt range. and when given the chance, he knew how to put up points on the board. He can still finish around the basket.

Having said all that ...
    I'm not so sure if he'll get enough minutes and he needs minutes to do well. He can't just play 12 minutes a night and help the team all that much. And I'm not sold on if he'd fit this team all that well. But under Adelman, he'd be better suited than he was for JVG because Adelman lets his players play and Steve thrives from that freedom.

And the chemistry thing ... I don't think he's ignorant enough to start pouting nearly as much as he did when he was a rookie. All of last year (which hadta be a pretty crappy year for him), the most wrong he ever did was get injured. He kept his mouth shut for the most part.

Basically the low risk high reward thing which some of you have said is true. If he pouts and if his game hasn't matured, we can just bench him or get rid of him somehow. I don't think it'll come to that though.

And yes, there's a lot of rotation issues. We'll figure that out later.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To clarify, when you said the Francis deal should be done by the end of the week, does it mean he's decided on the Rockets but they will sign him by the end of the week or just that he should make a decision about a team by the end of the week?

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Great news if its true. You get credit when/if he signs with Houston.

8. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

If Steve comes atleast two of the guards have to go, JLIII and Sura for another PF? JLIII wants out anyway.

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I thought your friend worked for a news station?

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He has 2 friends.

11. Manuel Romney

To clarify... I have a friend that works at a news station. His coworker is friends (since college) with someone within the Rockets organization.

Aside from that, I am friends with one of the Rockets scouts. I have known him since the 6th grade.

12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Well if he is right he may add some more friends from the site by the end of the week :D

13. Manuel Romney

I don't really care about the credit if it does happen. If it doesn't, I don't really know what to say. I guess I'll look really stupid. I'm just repeating what I was told by my friend at the news station.

I was really hesitant to post this because I didn't get the information directly from the person within the organization but I got really excited when I got the call from my friend and so I decided to share.

He didn't give me any specifics, just that the Rockets were really, really interested and were talking to Steve and said that a deal should be done by the end of the week.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I thought I read that Francis may make his decision as early as tonight and sign somewhere. So I guess Sunday is D Day then.

15. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

You know what...if this wasn't Francis and it was another guard...say Monta Ellis or Mo Williams, you guys would just say lets get him and let the chips fall where they may. Ya wouldn't worry about fit and you woudln't worry about minutes. Just get him and get er done.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

That is exactly how I feel. Perfectly said dude.

17. wybys

wybys Member

oh, come to ROX!we will be the champion!And Yao is your best friend!

18. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Bring #3 back. I have his old jersey so yeah, why not. Besides, he's Yao's "big brother" Lo Ti. That will be a cool reunion. SF will not be playing for money because he got lots with that max contract he had. If he signs with Houston, he's going home, and trying to stack the deck to get a ring.

Didn't the old fookies Karla and the Glove do that with the Lakers a few years ago. It didn't work for them but I'll bet it'll work for SF here.

This would be a pretty stacked team with SF on board. Long bench and lots of playmakers. With the new rules, it's a playmaker's paradise and TMAC, MJ, Bonzi, AB and SF are all playmakers. Yao would be one too but they don't call the fouls for big men. This would be fun basketball to watch again. Less D but much more O.

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

Forget SF for awhile or you will feel sad when he decides to become a Mavs.

20. southtexan

southtexan Member

I'd hate to see Francis with the Mavs, that would really bother me.