1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you know your neighbors?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joe Joe, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I just took the personality test at www.swirve.com. I had to get the plug in for Shanna and RM95.
    One of the questions was do you know the names of more of your internet buddies than your neighbors.

I found this a funny question. I don't know one neighbor. I live in an apartment and don't know anyone there. Why should I care? The only thing they have in common with me is that they live in the same apartment.

Its funny....I tested as a supervisor, but I think that's because I sick of all the idiots in the world right now that don't follow the inherent rules people in civilization accept. I'm an equal oppurtunity hater. Republicans suck. Democrats suck. People that consider themselves a specific race instead of as a human suck. Neighbors suck. Internet buddies rule!

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks for taking the test!! Now go check out my power rankings!! Play our hockey and basketball survival games!! Send us money!!

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Knowing your neighbors is important. Are you internet buddies going to prevent someone from robbing you? What about notifying the authorities if something happens. Or if it catches on fire, are they going to know how many people are there or if you have any pets that might need resueing? There is lots of things you should know about your neighbor. You don't have to be their buddys, but its nice to know someone is looking out for you.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Landlord knows my information. Roomate knows my information. I have apartment security to help curb theft and assume if someone sees a thief jacking my stuff they'll call 911 regardless if the know my name or not.

I say hello in the hall. Occasionally, I'll have the weather small talk with the mom across the hall. I've jumped the guy next door's car. I've done the trade name game with a couple people there, I just don't remember their names.

5. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I know my neighbours really well. Most of them are old folk, but they are quite nice. Oh, and no jokes about how in Australia our neighbours live 100 kilometres from each other (a.k.a. Bart vs. Australia)!! :mad:

6. cson

cson Contributing Member

Joe Joe- have you jumped the mom across the hall?
    sorry i couldn't resist

7. treeman

treeman Member

I'm in suburban New Braunfels now, and you can't help but know the neighbors here (it's paradise, of course)... But my last residence was an apartment in Seabrook. I was there for three years, and I only knew one neighbor in the whole complex by name... Sad.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

There is something lost when all you do is communicate via the keyboard, aside from the "jumping" motivation cson referred to;)

I know a lot of neighbors now, but I am in a house. There is something about living in a neighborhood where you get to know more people and know them better even though fewer people live near by (less dense). When I lived in apartments it was usually only a couple of people I would know, but almost always at least a few.

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

My upstairs neighbor came by last night and threatened to kill me for making a noise complaint about him to the apartment management. So, in a sense, I do know at least one of my neighbors.

10. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

Well, I sorta' know my neighbors. We strike up a quick chat sometimes while picking up the paper (apartment dood here). A few years ago in Malaysia (they have these huge residential apartment complexes), we were close with tons of people. Then we moved.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<b>I live in an apartment and don't know anyone there. Why should I care? The only thing they have in common with me is that they live in the same apartment. </b>

Out of curiosity, how do you know you have nothing in common with them if you don't know them personally?

:)

Actually, I know pretty much all of my neighbors around our house.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What a strange name. :p

As for the internet buddies, do you have to know their real name or just their handle? On real names, I probable only know Jeff and Brian Kagy -- if those are their real names.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jeff,

To clairify. I've meet most of my neighbors thru small talk in the parking lot, but forgotten their names if they were ever offered. I found out I really didn't have anything in common and haven't pursued a friendship.

I think since its such a tight space, I try to create more psuedo-privacy by not knowing people near me closely.

I know a few people within 3 minutes drive in "neighboring" apartment complexes. I don't consider them neighbors even though they live as close as my neighbors in Houston did.

JV,
    I know a couple of real names of internet buddies. One of my roommates moved to Denver after college. I talk mostly to him thru internet so i consider him an internet buddy. I have been told he shouldn't be considered one by a friend.

As far as internet-only "buddies", only the ones that have participated in fantasy football or I had sent an email to directly do I know real names.

Does a person cease being an internet buddy when you meet them in person?

14. haven

haven Member

I wish I lived near Jeff. I bet he brings brownies to new neighbors ;).

Since there haven't been any dorm-dwellers yet... I know all of my neighbors, and even like most of them.

The person to my immediate right, though... he likes listening to early-90's gangsta rap at a hideously high volume and all hours. He seems like a really nice guy... which is why I feel bad about reporting him.