1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP]Chinese sports association fires off unusual criticism of Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Panda

Panda Member

You are welcome.

Same thing here, I was confused until I checked out the original article myself.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I'm betting the Chinese government is getting uptight with the Olympics in Beijing next year they really want their team to be at it's best.

3. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I agree... he has to deal with everything else on top of basketball. It must get stressful/hurtful for him at times, especially with his own people criticizing him. I don't think I have enough discipline to do what he's been able to do. The guy finally gets married and they criticize him for that? I'll tell everyone to f*ck off!!

4. Fuse

Fuse Member

They really need to get a grip. Yao has been giving himself to his country and community at the expense of himself for the past few years. To be honest... I don't think they have much leverage in this situation, and shouldn't aggravate the situation or force yao into a corner.

To me, that is a very stupid move, if what was written was more than just an opinion from a senior editor at the paper.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

For those that are in the know about Chinese media, politics, and Yao in particular:

It seems to me that Yao has reached iconic status, and for the media or the NT to call out Yao is dangerous. Yao exudes class, loyalty and dignity. That seems beyond dispute.

However, this is based on American culture, media, etc. Eg., nobody called out Jordan in his prime.

But perhaps in Chinese culture, media, that's not a problem and they can actually to impugn Yao's name and reputation. Is that so?

6. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

thats bull****, cut him some slack. its not like he is doing anything bad, helping kids and use his publicity to help others...

7. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

blah, could be just for show. they probably criticize yao to make an example of him. so younger player don't do stupid ****. i doubt any official is pissed off at yao. just mouthing off, cuz they have power and want some attention.

8. Navman

Navman Member

This is just the Chinese's way of exerting their absolute authority after the Yi debacle. They want to show the world that they still pull the strings. Isn't it fishy how they criticize Yao in the middle of this Yi thing??
    I think Yao privately is fed up. He will honor the obligation of representing his country in Beijing Olympics but after that, he's gone. I guarentee you.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

He needs to defect. Until then he will suffer from chronic injuries etc.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this will be humiliating if they lose to the NBDL all stars.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what's pryuen's take on this?

is he loyal to yao or to the government?

12. corby

corby Contributing Member

Don't be an *******. It's possible that pryuen has his own personal opinion about this.

13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

These guys are insane - they are going to kill the poor man. It would be like the US forcing Lebron James to play in the NBA season + every national game and expect him to survive.

More important than your marriage ceremony? Geeze.
    There's got to be a way out of this crap for Yao short of his injury or death.

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Yeah I want him to defect also. I dont think he will though...

15. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I'm sure if he defects Yao will be the last chinese player to ever play in the NBA

16. Navman

Navman Member

You're right, he won't. Yao will never betray his origins. However, it's fully plausible that he will pull a Wang and give the CBA the finger after the Olympics. The only difference this time is that Yao is a worldwide icon and the CBA will be forced to save face.

They are exploiting the poor man's sense of honor and duty. Superceding even marriage or humanitarian pursuits like Basketball w/o Borders. Once Yao takes a stance for his responsibility to those less fortunate, the CBA will appear as tyrants to the world of sports.

17. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

considering their showing in Vegas it's not really beyond the realm of possibility.

NBDL all stars can't be that far from an NBA summer team...

18. yuantian

there were worse, when they lost to nba summer league scrubs :p

19. SmitingPurpleEm

He will lose most of his fans if he defects. I love Yao but I love my country first, and if he turns his back on his country I can't support him any more.

I'm sure some in the CBA are unhappy that Yao is taking his time, but it won't affect the team come 2008, Yao will be there for the Olympics. There is no way he won't be.

20. yuantian

ya, those CBA officials are really meanies mouthing off. but i doubt anything will change with yao. he doesn't want millions of people hate him. i'm sure the loyalty above all else is carved in his mind just like most other chinese people :D i doubt some of those officials play any sports. they just do politics.