1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

interview advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kelvin Cato's Mom, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Kelvin Cato's Mom

I have a job interview over the telephone this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had an advice. It's my first job interview so if someone could dish out any helpful tips i'd appreciate it.

btw it's a pol research internship in montana, which is why i doing the interview over the phone.

2. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Hey dude,

Good luck.

The one piece of advice that has always helped me (I'm a newly minted graduate, so this is recent) is to always keep talking -- i.e., think out loud.

If you do that, you'll at least show that you have the ability to think about a process without giving up right away... and the interviewer will also be able to more gently guide you towards the desired answer.

3. red

red Contributing Member

just remeber...it's a circus and you're the ring master...good luck...

4. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

A phone interview prsents a special challenge because a good part of an interviewer's impression of you is based on non-verbal cues -- how you look, how you're dressed, eye contact, etc... So you lose all of this in a phone interview. But hey, if you're an unattractive clod it could work to your advantage!

Anyway, here's a few tips:
    1. Be prepared. Have your resume in front of you so you can reference it if the interviewer asks for specific details.

2. Know what your strengths and weaknesses are. They might ask you this. Be generous about your strengths and light on your weaknesses.

3. Have a few questions that you can ask them about the job. Usually at the end of the session, the interviewer will say, "Now, do you have any questions for me?" It helps to have at least one because it engages them in conversation (and gives you a chance to learn more about the job) and it shows them that you've given this some thought.

4. Smile while you're talking. I know it's over the phone, but people can hear if you're smiling, trust me.

5. If there's time send a Thank You -- either a card via snail mail or an e-mail directly to the interviewer. Tell him or her that you appreciate the time they took to speak with you, that you enjoyed your conversation, that you're still interested in the job (provided you are, of course) and that you look forward to hearing from them soon.

6. Finally, be natural. Just have a conversation with them about the job. Remember, you're interviewing them too -- they have to sell this job to you as well. Since this is your first interview just treat it like a practice and don't get too worried about it. You'll likely have MANY more in your life.

Good Luck!

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Someone would think Kelvin would freakin share his $42 MILLION with his mom! :mad: Making his poor mom work, and in Montana no less! :(