1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I need a recommendation on apt movers.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by coma, Nov 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. coma

coma Contributing Member

I've used Apt Movers of Houston and AAA Moving.

I'd rather not use them again.

Can someone give me a serious recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I recently moved into a new apt.

I did it for free.

I used www.moveforfree.com

Only use these guys if your moving times are flexible. They were like two hours late getting there but they did a good job and it was free. So I can't complain. Check it out.

They are bonded and all that BS.

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

Here is my advice. Under no circumstances allow the movers room to negotiate after they have started. Make sure it is all clear and agreed before they start packing your stuff.

My last move, the lead guy was like "No problems Dave, we'll take care of it" So he gets all my stuff on his truck, and then he gets all serious, sits and says, OK Dave, we've got some problems, we need to talk about this. He goes through and lists a few items that were not on his original list, and how he can only get within 200 feet of the front door, not 150, and bang - demands double the orginal quoted price. When he has all your furniture, you are not in a very strong position to argue.

4. AhPook

AhPook Member

Do not use Apache Movers under any circumstances. They were big whiny babies and complained the whole time about how everything was going on the second floor of our new house. We got so sick of it, we just let them put all the boxes on the first floor.

They were also picky about what they would not move, but did not make any effort to explain such policies before arriving at our door. So, we also ended up moving a lot of things from the apartment ourselves. Yuck. I hate them.

I have had a good experience with Best of Texas movers though. They were recommended by my sister in law, so you can count that as at least two happy customers.

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

True story. My brother in law used "Three men and a truck" from the greensheet. When they showed up one of the men only had one arm. They didn't get a discount!

If you possibly can move a few days before the final weekend of th emonth. They are all always overbooked. they say yes to everyone. They work nearly 18hrs a day and they will be usually be impossibly late if it is the final weekend of the month.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll never use The Apt. Movers again... incompetent goons. As for who else to use, I have no suggestions.

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

Thanks guys.

Best of Texas doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

Three Men... I won't be using them. Haha, one arm, that's Seinfeldesque.

davo - What company did you use?

Wink - Unfortunately, moveforfree.com requires that you use it's full locater or referral services. Thanks though.

DoD - What's your story? I had two black guys show up at my door in a an old ass truck. One of them poked a hole in my couch and didn't even mention it to me. The other smoked in my apt and asked me for a beer. They were super lazy.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually I have used three men and a truck type guys out of the greensheet numerous times. I've never had a problem except for super lateness.

You really don't have to be that worried. You could look for one that says better business bureau, insured or bonded. It isn't thatrisky.

9. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Do you have to hire someone? Can you do it yourself?

Um, there was a moving company that has a piggy bank on the truck that my family used when we moved across Clear Lake... that was pretty good. Sorry, I forget what it was called.