1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you stop watching The Simpsons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I stopped watching after about the 4th season or so... but oddly enough, I still find the series funny. I'm still a King of the Hill junkie, though. That show is hilarious.

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

never watched it

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

God I love that show. My favorite King of the Hill subplot:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1F9UuhRrS8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n1F9UuhRrS8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm one of the last people to bash some pop culture thing just b/c everyone else is, and, along with Cheers, i consider the Simpsons my favorite show ever**, but it just hasn't been good for a good 6 or so years. the one where Krusty's daughter showed up and he lost her violin to the mob and had to get it back was one of the last episodes i remember being hilarious before i basically stopped watching and that was apparently season 12, and even by then i wasn't a dedicated viewer. obviously we're talking about matters of taste here, but even good simpsons these days isn't up there with most stuff, much less a bad one being better than 99% of other stuff.

as for knowing it's bad w/o watching, like others i do occasionally peak in, but every time it just reaffirms my opinion that it's fallen off drastically. too many guest appearances and they try to force hipness/edginess too much. that's not what they are and can't hold a candle to things like family guy or southpark in that respect, so they shouldn't try.

not that anyone can blame the simpsons for falling off drastically, they've been on for 19 freakin' seasons. there's a reason shows usually are done after a decade (Cheers 11 seasons, friends 10, seinfeld 9 i think, everybody loves raymond 9 or 10), they've just run out of material/freshness and aren't what they used to be. the simpsons gave it a great 11 or 12 year run, with their peak being as high as anyone's, but they just inevitably started to suck.

having said all that, i saw two movies last week that had trailers for the simpson's movie, and i have to say it looked pretty damn funny. obviously spider pig is great and it seems much more "old simpsons" than "new simpsons," which to me is great. hopefully it ends up being funny as i plan to see it.

**it's weird, Cheers and the Simpsons are my 2 favorite shows ever and yet i've probably watched very few first run episodes of either, catching most of each series in syndication. Cheers was on before my time so i saw virtually no episodes live and even with the simpsons, there were only a few years where our family watched the show each week. sunday was never much of a tv watching night for me and by the time i'd remember they were on the episode would be over. but i have seen most all of the first 10 or seasons multiple times through the repeats.

5. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

I never stopped watching. The number of truly great episodes has definitely gone down over time, and there is the occasional complete stinker like "Bonfire of the Manatees" but then they'll come back strong with a hilarious one like "The Seemingly Never Ending Story." I'm looking forward to the movie though I'm disappointed that it's PG-13, as I might not want to take my 8-year-old son to it.

6. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I still watch it from time to time, but it's not something I look forward to watching every Sunday morning anymore. It was after the 12th season where I just stopped caring about it and the decline in quality was very noticable.

Of course, it didn't help that Futurama and King of the Hill were starting (especially Futurama) and I was just getting into South Park. The Simpsons will always remain my favorite cartoon show (only because there's not enough Futurama yet). Never got into Family Guy (though some of the jokes are ****ing gold).

7. BigTex

BigTex Member

yeah king of the hill is great, especially dale
    one of my favorite clips from the older episodes
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qXFOhtS3uo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_qXFOhtS3uo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I enjoy the Simpsons, but I've never tuned in to watch from beginning to end. The only time I watch, is when I am changing channels and stumble across it, then I'll watch for 5 minutes, or watch the rest of it,. I couldn't tell you when it came on, or what day...although I'm pretty sure it's on sundays, or at least it used to be.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't like KoTH. I started watching a lot of Futurama recently on Cartoon Network. IIRC they're going to be bringing it back on Comedy Central next year.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

wow. im surprised that so many ppl still watch the simpsons...i figured those who were hardcore fans back in the day wouldnt watch it anymore...

11. UberDork

UberDork Member

After Phil Hartman died, the quality of the show went downhill. All those celebrity guest appearances. It was awful. I guess the last season I enjoyed was 1998 or 1999.

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

^ thats true phil hartman had some great charchters

[​IMG]
    and of course lionel hutz
    [​IMG]

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

his last season was season 10...

14. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

About 98 or so I was done with it. It wasn't a conscienous decision, but I just stopped watching it and didn't miss. I can't put a finger on what made me do it, I just stopped tuning in. South Park, however, is still uproarious funny and timely so I'm still hooked on it. The Tom Cruise Is Trapped in the Closet was the funniest one ever.

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Never have.

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

The dropoff is a myth. Simpsons was never as great as everyone remembers.

[​IMG]