1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official...Scola signed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rpr52121, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Baller68112

Baller68112 Member

I agree. I am very skeptical about anybody from overseas, there game is just different and a lot of them aren't physical enough to play in the NBA. Lets just remember we need a rebounding, athletic PF who can D-up on Boozer.

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I dunno man, hayes and landry could be really good as backups.

3. scola

scola Member

If thats true, then you got the wrong player. You got a finesse offensive PF, with good rebounding skills (for Europeans standards) and just decent defense.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I wouldn't say he's finesse based on what I've seen from him. Is he the second coming of otis thorpe? No not really. But he's not exactly a feather Dirk Nowitzki. Whatever he is, he has to be better than Howard. I think a good comparison might be Jorge Garbajosa. His rookie campaign was pretty good, and scouts like Scola better than him.

5. firezh

firezh Member

Around 250m. Part of it will be used on hayes. And the rest can be paid on updating our jersey. :cool:

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

i'm really digging this scola mix right now. lots of slow-mo video so you get to see how this guy really knows how to get leverage using positioning, his body how he jumps, and uses his length to circumvent defenders. plus the music works well with it.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LV1phCgmIS4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Scola's gonna schoola duncan and boozer :eek:

u never know :cool:

8. scola

scola Member

Garbajosa is different. He defends better than Scola, and can shoot threes. On the other hand, he can't play low post game. Thats why they make him play many times as a SF.

Scola has more talent, and is overall the better player.

But don't let the highlights give you the wrong impression. Scola doesn't dunk a lot and doesn't block very often. Yes, he is a high energy player and plays with heart. But he doesn't stand out because of his athletism. His array of low post moves and soft hands are what took him to where he is now.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

In the paint, his moves remind me of Flopitski. Now, if he could just stroke the 3 at 40%....

10. yaozzzi

yaozzzi Member

i dont konw about that. but i know he is going make some troubles for them... :)

11. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I see Scola as a young Juwan Howard - good offensive PF who can hits some mid-range jumpers, but is average at best in rebounding and defense.

12. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

dude plays with passion. Passion is contagious. One single play from him could turn the whole team on.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel that he can adjust to the physical nature of the NBA because he appears to be fairly strong and shows a certain toughness in his game. One the other hand,he seems to be foul prone and isn't a rebounder or game changing shot blocker. He can score in the low post.I think he can be most effective coming off the bench when Yao gets in foul trouble and when we are going through scoring droughts.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's our Vlade in a 4.

Anyone who thinks he won't pan out did not see enough times when Rybo played... He'll play if the coach wants him to play.

#54 Invisible Fan, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  15. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Since Scola can't be Scola, I say he has the potential to be a poor mans Kevin Mchale.

16. The Hungarian Rocket

Great. Well donw, Morey. He's the real 3rd scoring option...

17. GMNot

GMNot Member

... now let CD help tweak his game for the NBA. ;)

18. MKE_Texan

MKE_Texan New Member

I remember another foreign player people were skeptical of. A player pundits said would be unable to adjust to a physical game. He's now the best C in the league.

Scola has the potential to be darned good. Just forcing the opposing PF to pull off Yao and guard is invaluable. With a lineup of James, McGrady, Battier, Scola, and Yao, how do you safely double anyone up? You can bring Head, Bonzi, and others in without losing that danger.

I'll be interested to see if Butler pans out. He'll determine whether this is simply a solid deal or one of the most lopsided ever.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Just so long as he doesn't turn into the second coming of Slowmile Swift. Then, I guess, he would become the UnScola.

20. pillage

pillage Member

Do we know how the 9.3 mil breaks down over the three years? Is it front-loaded for the first year?