1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade V-Span to Spurs, acquire Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrieflySpeaking, Jul 12, 2007.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

We have quite a few expiring contracts. Ever heard of 2-for-1 trades? That's how you pare down the roster.

2. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

what do i have to be defensive about brave message board poster? do you have 18 guys on the roster? yes or no. other than outright cutting them how are you going to get rid of the extra players? trust little man your weak smack may impress your 6th grade friends but i choose to play with people who can hit back.. am i lying to myslef again? or am i acting defensive?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no kidding, I hate to be debbie downer but this guy probably won't play. I'm just looking at it as vspan for butler. which is actually fine with me. jackie butler was caught in a numbers game in both new york and san antonio. the only thing I question is his shot. we need a pf who can shoot out to at least 15 ft.

4. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

you need trading partners... I am not sure what the value is for guys at the end of your bench but I can't imagine that other teams are going to make deals that exclusively help the rockets..

5. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

Children! Lets calm down. LoL

edit: on the subject of the trade anyone know when we might hear from Scola or Rockets Camp?

6. caphorns

caphorns Member

You have no idea what you are talking about. Dude was a cancer with his constant incessant whining during the season. He thinks he's as good as TMac and he simply is not. I think everyone on our team went out of their way to send overtures to the guy anyway thinking he could contribute as a role player at some point. He's not the worst kid in the world, but he can't back up his cockiness. And he's most likely not coming back to America. Who knows, maybe Pop or Tim can turn his mindset around. But you can't expect us Rockets fans to like this guy after the organization bent over backwards several times for him.

7. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

exactly what's on my mind :D

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Obviously, they will try to get some value for those guys, but if worst comes to worst you just cut those guys at the end of the bench. It's not like they have long term contracts. With that said, who knew Spanoulis had so much value? Just imagine how much we could get for Rafer, Head and Snyder. :p

9. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

Actually if things go wrong ala VSpan style, we'd be having a bigger problem than the VSpan ego problem. Scola is the MVP of the world-excluding-NBA.

10. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Actually Rockets was Spurs' last option on the Scola deal. Spurs were shopping him to try to move up in the draft and later on tried to deal with Cav but all failed. These were all mentioned in this thread.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

yeah tell that to rofflesaurus who thinks that Morey telegraphs everything.

Steve Francis here we come!

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Umm if anyone should go to the D-league right now it's Novak. Have you seen his stats in summer league play? We also have 17 players on the roster...you forgetting those too?

13. Hemotivo

Hemotivo Member

The most dominant player outside the NBA

14. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Dude. you have got to come to the fray with more than this!! What a shocking revelation, the spurs front office is better than the Rockets. Your not going to get any argument from anyone on this board as they have proven it over time and our front office has proved to be f'ups over time. But, we do have a new sherriff in town and he got over on the spurs for this deal. To most of us here, this is cause to celebrate and we will. We are hoping this is the beginning of many rapings in the future and then our front office will be as revered as the Spurs. So, let us have our moment

15. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Any news on whether Scola has been offered a contract yet?

The Rox only have 2 days left (Scola has to exercise his buyout by July 15th or else he is bound to Tau for 1 more year)

16. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

In 60 hours, Scola has to make the decision before July 15th.

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Right, because all deals are one-sided trades. :rolleyes: It's really not that hard of a concept: The Rockets trade a few expiring contracts for one longer contract. Now, I'm not advocating a 4-for-1 trade or something crazy like that. Just a 2-for-1 deal. Then, you likely cut Harris, who's non-guaranteed, as well as whoever the other leftover guy is (probably JL3, since he'll only cost Les $770,000).

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Please STOP posting other team's forum comments. I could care less what they are saying.

If you want to read what they are saying, go there and do it, but please stop posting their dribble.

Thanks,

DD

19. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I wonder what the breakdown was concerning the Cavs/Kings/Spurs talks. I guess it really all came down to saving some money.

That's what happens when your players are so vanilla boring, your merchandise sales won't cover roster excess. (Can they even afford NBA bling in Argentina or the USVI? Do they care in France?)

I guess none of our Rockets will be getting any Greek shoe deals anytime soon.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, I guess we won't be having any Vspan blogs to b*tch about...I think itsa good move as I see a lot of potential...Now, if we can get him here...