1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Barnes Firesale?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PeteTheCheat, Jul 12, 2007.

1. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Is Outlaw in free agency like Barnes is?

If the Rockets offered Barnes more money than Golden State is right now then they should do it. Give 4 years at least.

At least call his agent. They would've been all over him if he was another undersized point guard.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kinda weird that Barnes hasn't had offers of the MLE.

I wonder (as do we all) if Morey even has interest. (Put down the 82games info, Morey, just for once.) Could be that teams thought Barnes was a lock to stay in GS. And seems GS wants to keep its options open (big trade exception and such) when trying to trade for KG.

Which shouldn't preclude them signing Matt Barnes. Again, kinda weird.

But Barnes is a great option for us and gives us that chance to use Battier in a trade for a 4. I'd hate to see him go, but let's be honest. This is the West. Neillieball worked great in the playoffs until it didn't (Carlos Boozer). The West is loaded with All-Star 4's. Hayes + Landry ain't gonna cut it.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Outlaw is a RFA.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He's a restricted free agent.

I'm curious what it would take for Portland to not match considering they have Roy, Webster, Miles, Udoka, James Jones, Rudy Fernandez and two swingmen draft picks (Byars, Nichols) all at the 2/3.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the Rockets should be targetign all three of Barnes, Mason and Deshawn Stevenson.

I'd be happy with any, though admit Barnes would be my first choice because of size and age.

Any of those 3 players would automatically be your #1 option off the bench in the backcourt/SF positions. Luther is expendable. Package him for a stop-gap PF to tandem with Hayes (don't expect anything great though). Hope Boniz can at least contribute.

I think you're good then.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

why would you be suprised? Have you forgotten what he did the previous 8 seasons? Have you forgotten how good he was just one year ago under Coach Rick Adelman? Have you forgotten that Adelman believes in him even though JVG did not?

Because of his past, I will be very surprised if he is not a major part of the rotation this year. Certainly Barnes has not come close to the success that Bonzi has.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sadly, because of his history one can also not be surprised if he isnt. Last year was a golden opportunity for him to play well and try to earn back the money he r****dedly turned down from SAC...well he showed up fat and lazy and then he quit. This year its the same story. Its another golden opportunity for him to earn some of the money he turned down...to be continued

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Adelman = Player's coach.

JVG = college coach/teacher/disciplinarian.

With Veterans, Adelman will be much better at getting the max out of his talent.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm going by what he showed me last season, with the Rockets. Based on his history with the Rockets, I have yet to see why we should count on him. We need depth on this team and hopefully Bonzi will provide a lot of it, but so would Barnes, and I know what he did last season. Who would you rather have on your team? The Wells or Barnes of last season? And why not have both?

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

a lot of this depends on just what we can get at the PF for Battier.

I wouldn't want Barnes playing a lot of power forward but he can definitely get some minutes their depending on game by game matchups.

Definitely a hustle guy we can use. Not quite sure how his "hustle" would translate for starter-type minutes. While I don't think he is very talented, I do not doubt his work ethic (the guy started out in the NBDL) and focus to improve.

I think he could be a good value for < MLE.

BUT - if we keep Battier and Bonzi returns to his former self, we will have a glut of SG/SF types with Barnes thrown in.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Barnes = unrestricted (GS doesnt get to match the offer)

Outlaw = restricted (Portland could match the offer)

I think we need to do this mystery trade soon, so we can see what pieces we still have to work with.

If we make Battier, Head, V-Span, and Suras contract all expendable in a trade for a PF, then I really see us getting a better PF. If we only offer Head, Lucas, V-Span, and Sura, the player we would get in return would be less star studded. The West has strong PF's and for us to match-up with those teams, we need one also!

My ideal roster

Alston/James/Brooks
    Francis/Bonzi/Snyder
    Mcgrady/Barnes/Novak
    New PF/ Hayes/ Landry
    Yao/ Deke

:p

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I have no desire to replay last season. With JVG gone and Adelman in I think Wells will prove last season was a fluke.

Given a choice between Wells and Barnes for this season based on what they have done through out their careers and what I think they are still capable of then its not even a choice. I would take Well's every time.

13. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Fixed

14. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LMAO!

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd be completely fine with matt barnes, even at the mle.

16. AGBee

AGBee Member

He'll probably go to Dallas for $2 million/year.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

really...adelman is a players coach? interesting.
    when did adelman become this fun loving, free weilding guy?

18. drich

drich Member

Rasheed Wallace make it happen now

19. yao ming 34

yao ming 34 Member

get this guy in a rockets uniform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

20. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

lemme guess, he was the tmac of golden state :cool: