1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[realgm.com]If Cavs Match Varejao, Gooden Will Be Traded?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by crash5179, Jul 8, 2007.

1. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

I agree kros when comparing Juwan and Gooden. Gooden isn't hands down a better scorer, rebounder and shotblocker. Statistics say he is, but only by maybe 1-2 in each category. Nothing significant. The main thing is that Juwan is old as **** now, and I think Gooden could run up and down the court better.

If we can get him for expiring contracts and maybe some random PG like JL3 or something like that, then I'm all about doing it. Rafer for Gooden is essentially and even trade IMO, but I think we still have to add salary to make it work.

2. aghoshhajra

aghoshhajra Member

I'm down with the trade, especially the 2nd one mentioned for Sura and VSpan, cuz as much as I hate to admit it, we need to keep Rafer for back up purposes (he'd be solid off the bench).

If we do manage to land Gooden, that nasty patch on the back of his head needs to go! :D

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

As of a couple of weeks ago, it's spelled Yougone Howard.

4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

You guys are seriously overvaluing our assets and undervaluing a productive big in the NBA. Do you guys seriously think we would be able to get him with expiring contracts or with any of our many guards? I would offer Battier in a trade for Gooden. He would give the cavs that "lockdown" defender and the consistant 3 point threat they have always been looking for. It makes sense for us since it fills one of our gaping hole at PF and it frees up more playing time at the 2/3 positions. One of his knocks is that he is a little slow(stromile slow), but if he can rebound, score and play hard on defense then its good enough for me. Worst case scenario would be a stromile with a little bit of a motor whose contract ends in two years.

5. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

I heard that the Cavs are trying to unload him so that they have more room to sign Varejao. They could also use help at the PG spot though. Alston or Head and filler for Gooden is what I would offer first. I don't know if I want to trade Battier for Gooden. Battier is just as good offensively, defensively he destroys Gooden.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I like Gooden OK, particularly compared to other realistic alternatives.

But not for Battier.

Head, Sura, and change (among Landry, Snyder, Novak, VS, JL3), sure.

Personally I don't think Cleve dumps Gooden. I bet they dump Marshall. Who I would be interested in for Sura and a seletion from Snyder, Novak, VS, JL3 (probably not let them have Landry).

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's looking like they will keep Gooden but lose Varejao to the Grizzlies. I expect the Grizzlies to up their bidding now Nocioni is out of the picture for them.

8. rserina

rserina Member

If the Cavs want cap relief, why would they take Alston? His salary wouldn't give them much cap relief unless the deal was Gooden for Alston and Spanoulis.

I think a deal for Sura, Spanoulis, and Head would work nicely, but Head is redundant since they have Gibson. Snyder could be substituted for Head, but that would cost more for them. Not sure how we could get this done unless we take someone like Newble along with Gooden for Sura, Spanoulis, Head, and Snyder. That would save them around 1.5 million, plus another 2 million on the Sura buyout. We would then have Newble's 3.5 mil expiring contract, which at least could be trade fodder down the road.

As for Gooden himself, I would do the deal because it is an upgrade. I will admit that I'm not a huge fan: the guy doesn't stay in the best shape, he plays sloppy, is foul prone, and isn't a great defender. But, on the other hand, he is a great offensive rebounder, has a fairly well-rounded offensive game, and has the size we need to match up against larger fours and even some smaller fives. Probably the best thing you can say is he can give you a good rotation player at the four for a year, then you have his expiring contract to deal the following season. And, if we can get that for what amounts to spare contract parts, I am happy.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gooden is a foul prone, low IQ player. I certainly wouldn't take him unless we can get him for very cheap.

He has been on the trade block every year he has played. Why? Because he is a very flawed player. He does some things well, but his negatives outweight his positives.

10. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

11. rserina

rserina Member

But he isn't good for them. Alston can't defend or shoot. He is outstanding setting up post-players with good entry passes, but there is no one who can post well for Cleveland. He is also pretty good in the open court, but Cleveland doesn't run that much. And his contract is pretty bad: 4.5 this year, 4.9 next, and 5.3 the year after that. If they want to unload salary, they need to find a better way to do it, in my opinion.

Besides, they need to get rid of Larry Hughes if they want a guy like Alston at the one. Both are a bit weak or undersized for the positions and neither is a good shooter.

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

gooden is extremely unimpressive to me. i wouldn't be upset to have him on our team but i wouldn't give up anything significant for him. if they want salary relief we have some pieces to offer.

13. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Thanks for the post. I definitely agree with you. Let me repost from the Marshall Thread.

To all the people who want Drew Gooden:
    Get a Clue! Please watch some basketball and put away stats and fantasy points. Drew is a bum. He had to settle for a lower contract with the Cavs because other GM's didn't want to pay him 8+ Million. He is one of the softest starting power forwards in the league. The Cavs are his third team and won't be the last. He couldn't cover any of the Spurs in the Finals. He is not even one of the best power forwards in the east. We really need him on our team. Oh let's make a run at him because Bozehound, TD, KG, Matrix and Brand will put him on his a$$! Great pick guys!

14. fnn2097

fnn2097 Member

Drew Gooden's arrival will for sure boost our PF position. He brings athleticism, energy and rebounding ability. We don't really need him to scorer whole whack of points for us since Yao is down there at the low block. I do agree with what some of you say in which Gooden is only good if we can get him for alston and some other backup. I certainly wouldn't part ways with players like Battier or head to get him. Alston + Vspan would be a steal for us.

15. Pete the Cheat

if you were gm you would be dragged out into the street and beaten...

gooden is a great offensive rebounder and thats it. his defense is laughable and his offense is inconsistent.

i would rather sit on our expirings then waist them on a marginal eastern conference pf...

our pf minutes are better divided as is then with gooden...

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Gooden is good for us, but he must agree to shave this:
    [​IMG] ;)

17. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

First of all, Rafer is not being overpaid if thats what you are trying to say. In a world where you pay the MLE to backup players every day, 4.5 mil for a vet starter is a bargain. Also, I think you undervalue his defense. And there's no one to post up in Cleveland? How bout Z? He's no Yao Ming, but he can score on the post.

Well, he would back up Hughes probably. You have a point about them both shooting bad. Maybe Head then?

18. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

Gooden is as good a player as we can get while keeping Yao/Mac/Battier.
    I like your trade proposal, we may have to throw in the rights to Landry or Luther to make it work.

Damon will be on cloud nine, maybe some home-cooking will do him good. He played very well with Shaq, he'll know how to play off Yao. The comedy potential of a Mike James/Damon Jones/Aaron Brooks rotation is absolutely off-the-charts.

19. RocketsDynasty

RocketsDynasty New Member

if we get drew gooden it would be phenominal, amazing we need a power guy like him

20. lil_v12

lil_v12 Member

Gooden would be a good fit for the rockets. He is more athletic and has more energy than Howard brought. He would fit perfectly with Yao I think.