1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malik Allen???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ak47, Jul 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Please

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's had a pretty decent +/- over the years, indicating that largely he has held the fort down well as a sub in limited minutes. Unlike the doom and gloom predictions from some people here, objective evidence shows that his team has played just fine with him on the court.

He'll probably cost you about $2 million. I consider a decent 10-15 minute sub who holds the fort a pretty good use of $2 million.

At the very least, unlike the other $2 million players the Rockets signed last season, this one won't show up fat or run to Greece crying for his mama.

Yeah, that's about all you can expect for $2 million in the NBA.

3. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Ya'll complain too much about this power forward situation. There is no one we can realistically sign because the people at the top of our list want money or to stay put where they were before. Malik Allen is essentially a juwon howard clone but so were basically everyone we were going after on the free agent market. Amir Johnson would be the exception but i dont think we are gonna just offer an unproven player a contract that is better than half of the nba's contracts.

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Malik Allen has a really good FT% (82.4). If you go to his profile on nba.com, his numbers are comparable to Jarron Collins but slightly better in less time. He would be like a 3rd option PF behind Chuck and the mystery PF that would be aquired in a trade. He seems good to me. He will probably play garbage mins unless a injury occurs. He is 6'10 and 255 so he is a pretty big boy. Sure, do it....WE NEED DEPTH AT PF!!!

All in all, not a bad move.

5. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

He isn't a juwon clone. He is jump shooting 6'9 player with very little athleticism. Juwon played a little defense and juwon was a ball mover which would have been perfect playing in this new system.Juwon was crafty and did little things that don't show up. Malik allen is a one dimensional jump shooting big man.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well said Big Shot Bob.Quite a lot of people tend to overrate our role players.
    We can't get a near all star PF unless Yao or T-Mac are traded. The best we can do is PF by committee.

7. RedRowdy111

He shouldnt even be compared to Juwan b/c his role on this team would be like that of Bowen, Weathspoon, and other 3rd options at PF. He would just be insurance. Thats all. We need depth at the 4/5 spot. He fits the puzzle piece.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't like Malik. Sounds like we already have 2 pfs that are better than him. Maybe 3. Maybe 4.

I mean, people keep talking about pf depth, but this is a guy who shouldn't ever be a rotation player. I can't get excited over signing a 15th man.

9. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

I hope they let Landry try to be the 3rd string PF. If anything this guy would be a 3rd center (behind Yao and Deke) who can slide over to PF in a pinch. His rebounding is horrendous though, especially at the center spot.

http://www.82games.com/0607/06CHI11A.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0607/06CHI11C.HTM

If this guy costs anything more than the veteran's minimum I will go from a Morey supporter to a Morey doubter.

10. RedRowdy111

We have 0 power forwards under contract. We should bring back Chuck Hayes and that makes 1. Carl Landry hasnt been sign yet either. So I really dont know who your imaginary #3 and #4 guys are.

11. RedRowdy111

All that money ball stuff is for the birds, either a guy performs or not.

12. blackistan

blackistan Member

Yeea i seen this on tv as well and I am disappointed to say the least, the rockets keep saying they want to go and get athletic and young but it seems that if we're going after the scrubs this offseason like malik allen. How is this guy going to help us at the 4 position. Id rather have juwon back and chuck starting.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yeah sure, you go on believing we aren't going to sign Landry.

Hayes will probably be re-signed.

Then there's the guy we got from Minny + Novak. It really wouldn't surprise me all that much for him to be the number 5 pf if he was brought to the team. He just isn't very good.

14. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Sounds like Tsakalidas could do as well as Malik to me.

15. RedRowdy111

Justin Reed, ha, that guy aint seeing any time

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Jake Tsakalidas dreams about being as good as Malik Allen.

17. bushi63

bushi63 Member

SCRUB. not what we need.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

avg rebounder but his mid range is on point

19. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Are you one of those people that hates what you can't understand? Rebounding is a pretty traditional non-"money ball" stat. He is bad at it as indicated by his rebounding per 48 minutes. Juwan Howard is a much better rebounder than this guy. There is nothing average about his rebounding. He sucks at it. He also sucks at shooting as indicated by his FG% - also much worse than Juwan Howard.

How do you project that he would be anything more than a warm body. Is it from the 5 mins you saw him play one time on a good team in the Leastern confererence? If "money ball" is for the birds then maybe you should start chirping.

20. krockets

krockets Member

Man, if this is true, then I really starting to get an impression that the current Rox management is going CHEAP... It seems like Morey like to shop for bargains at "Garage Sales" or something... Oh well, I guess that's what money ball really means.. :mad: