1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley needs a good dose of Mr. Pine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake, Jan 15, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The only concern is that Dream has just over a season and a half left in a Rockets uniform. After that, Cat could be back to the same old tricks. Actually this might slow his progress in getting discipline in his game since he won't be going as often to the school of hard knocks.

Mango

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

RocketsPimp said :

If Cuttino can shoot 40-42% why would we want to trade him?
    He'd be our only player averaging over 20ppg if that was the case

Good field goal %age does not necessarily translate to higher scoring. Good field percentage also means you are wise about what shots you take. His percentage will go up if he quits acting like he's on a playground. His percentage goes up, shot attempts come down a bit, his scoring may nudge up, but his team is better off. I've watched a couple of the games he's been in... his shot selection is pathetic at times.

And as for why we would want to trade him... so we can get better. If Wilt can get traded, then my bet is Mobley can get traded for the betterment of this team and he's not quite at Wilt's level. [​IMG]

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Will:

I hope you're right, though it's hard to predict what kind of player the Rockets would trade Mobley for. We're loaded in the backcourt, and I'm pretty sure they want to keep the small forward spot open for Morris or whomever we get in the draft. That leaves big men and their aren't any good ones on the market that we know of. Though, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to trade Mobley. He's got a nice little first step and all, but I just hate the way he plays with the ball so much when his handles aren't really that great. I just don't think Mobley completely grasps the team concept. He seems to think that as long as he is scoring, he is helping the team. He needs to follow Francis' example and use his penetrating skills to draw the defense and dish to the open man, rather than take stupid shots in traffic.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

If Cuttino can shoot 40-42% why would we want to trade him?

He'd be our only player averaging over 20ppg if that was the case.

------------------
    Tanking is not acceptable. End of story.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Since we have heard that Rudy likes Cuttino, he probably sees him growing into the role that he is currently failing at. A few losses due to him should be an education, and benching him would hurt his confidence (extraordinary as it is). The problem here is that Shandon should be upset. The Smith/Cassell thing worked for a while and won us two championships, but it was clearly a temporary situation.

That or we're trying to move up in the draft while at the same time fattening them up like Will suggests, which I don't think that Rudy's personality type would support.

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Guys I have an unpopular take here, but someone on the team has to take shots. Francis could be this player, but he doesn't always seem willing to take the tough shots. maybe it's more that he knows when he's hot and whens he's not, butt Steve hasn't stepped into the offensive leader role yet.
    Everyone like Anderson, but my problem with him is how many games has he scored under 10 points, due to his being unwilling to shoot. Granted he is good defensive player, but he doesn't have a good offensive game.
    None of our forwards/centers can creat their own shots, until Dream returns. Cato, Walt, Bullard, Pig, etc can score on occassion but they score from other people usually.
    I like Mobley, he can break down a defense, which is a skill not many in the NBA possess. Keep in mind that on the offensive end of the floor he is a rookie. Last year our offense was to pass it to Chuck or Dream and everyone stand around. This year he is stepping up and even though his shots aren't falling he is the only offensive player we have that is willing to take charge every time (no slam to Francis just he doesn't always take control on offense). Plus it's nice to have mobley blowing by pip every time he touches the ball!

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Mobley is too talented to let go. Yeah, he can make a hasty decision every now and then, but that's what this season is for: learning. If you have any other delusions, you're going to be a frustrated fan. Rudy's got to be looking for progress from his rookies at this stage.

Good point Driver8.

8. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Great minds, Will, great minds.

Also, it's tough to win the lottery race with your best players getting all the PT. [​IMG]

9. Lainey

Lainey Member

I was at the Bulls game, and the thing that frustrated me the most, was not the turnovers, bad shots, etc. But is was the constant whining.

Something that you don't see on TV - Every single time something did not go Mobley's way he had something to say to the refs. And every timeout, he spent the first half of it talking to the refs (on the other side of the court) while the rest of the team was in the huddle. And then when play would start again, his man would be dribbling down the court, and he'd still be glaring at the ref. His head was definitely not of the mindset "how can I help my team win", as witnessed by his not being involved in the team timehands. It was more "I'm being screwed by the refs, and I'm going to show them."

Then I look at someone like Francis (a true rookie) - he shows emotion, but he keeps it under control. There were some calls that didn't go Francis' way, but he kept a straight face, and shook it off. He talks to the refs, but in a respectful way (if there is such a way).

Francis definitely has game, Mobley does not - I was more impressed with Chris Carr from the Bulls - Mobley couldn't stop him, but was always talking in his ear on the way down the court.

10. Lainey

Lainey Member

I agree that talking to the refs and trashing have their place - but only to a point. When it becomes the focus of all your activities, then you're in trouble.

You don't spend 1/2 of each timeout talking to the refs, while the rest of your teammates are strategizing during a timeout. That is disrepesctful to both your coach and your teammates.

I have no problem with the trash-talking, but only if you can back it up. But if you whine every single time to the refs, it's like the boy who cried wolf. And, I seriously believe that's why Mobley got the T after his dunk - I saw it live, so I didn't see the replay, but he didn't do anything wrong, except slap to ball on the floor. I think at that point, the refs had had enough....and I don't think it helped him get any calls later on during the game. You have to know when to quit, refs are human, they'll listen, but only to a point, then they become annoyed.

11. jamessd89

jamessd89 Member

i see everyone is getting my point rudy is not giving shandon a fair chance. mobley is getting a great shot but is just throwing the ball away too much i think its time for rudy to wake up an smell the coffee that shandon should be in the game in the forth quarters i believe we will win more game .

12. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

You know, I didn't want this to turn into a Mobley bash fest.

All I wanted to point out is that SA deserves to play more than Mobley. His stats back it up.

So what if Mobley is willing to take the tough shots. Point is when your making 38 percent of them, and your the leading shot taker for the team, your team is going to lose a lot of games because of you.

Ill take SA's D, and team concept on O, over Mobley in the 4th quarter.

13. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

I think Mobley's trash talking and ref arguing is simply a result of his style of play: full throttle. The guy doesn't know how to play any other way but to put it all on the line. That's something I'd like to see from more of the members of this team.

Yeah, I draw the line at the point where the team suffers, but respect is something this team has never garnered from the league and its officials. Even in the years following the championships. The Rockets (not Hakeem to an extent) have played with the luxury of Jordan Rules (or Bulls rules). Now that Barkley's gone, we need someone on the floor (i.e., not Rudy T.) to help keep the refs in line. Mobley fills that role, although his exuberance may overcome him at times.

14. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Good Point, Lainey. I'm very encouraged by Francis' respect of the refs. He even smiles politely when he disagrees. I think Hakeem got off to a bad start early in his career with the refs that hung over him for the remainder of his career.

The difference between Malone and Hakeem's stats is largely due to Malone's free throws. Malone obviously been injury-free, but Hakeem deserved a lot more FTs than he got.

I think Francis is off to a great start with the refs that should pay dividends in the long run.

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

<H2>THAT'S MY MAN, MOBLEY. KEEP TRASH TALKING, WORK THE MIND. </h2>

"Knowing your opponent is half the battle"

Anyone of you people who play any street ball whatsoever must know trash-talking is one of the easiest way to psych out your opponent. Michael Jordan wasn't just a great athlete, he was a great trash talker. That's one of the reason's that made him great.

Also, Mobley yelling at the refs is better than than not yelling at all becuase there is a slight possibility the ref will rethink what just happen and MAYBE change it. If you don't argue, who the hell is going to know what's wrong and change it?

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Mobley argues with the refs for no reasons. He does stupid, obvious things that the refs call right and he acts like nothing happened.

He needs to calm down at times and learn from francis.