1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ewing hired as assistant to tutor Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by smartxtai, Jul 3, 2007.

1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924913

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Patrick Ewing was hired as an assistant coach for the Orlando Magic, filling out Stan Van Gundy's staff.

Brendan Malone, Steve Clifford and Bob Beyer also were hired as assistant coaches, the team said Tuesday.

Ewing, an 11-time All-Star, was a Rockets assistant from 2004-06, and served on the Washington Wizards' coaching staff. He'll work with low-post players, including All-Star Dwight Howard.

Ewing played 15 seasons, mostly with the New York Knicks, and finished his career with Orlando in 2001-02.

"Brendan, Patrick, Steve and Bob bring a great deal of experience and knowledge to Orlando," Van Gundy said in a statement. "All four possess tremendous work ethic, have great attention to detail and will help our players reach their full potential."

Malone has coached in the league almost two decades, most recently as a scout for the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was a head coach in Toronto during the Raptors' first season.

Clifford was an assistant for the Houston Rockets. Beyer, a former Raptors assistant, coached at the University of Dayton.

------------------

Lol.. I wonder what are Magic fans reactions.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I hope he does for Howard everything he did for Yao. HaHa.

4. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I don't know if he can be as effective over there. Does Orlando have nice strip clubs?

5. JD317²

JD317² Member

oh so ewing and clifford are with magic now.
    Cool. I wish em the best.

Hey i dont have posting rights
    but umm.. Tom Thibodeau just got hired as an assistant with the Wizards so it looks like all the rockets assistant's have moved on. anyone want to post this for me?

http://insidehoops.com/thibodeau-wizards-070307.shtml

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I never liked Ewing as a player and I never liked him as an assistant. I'd say I wish him well, but I know he's not gonna do well at all. No point.

to Howard: I'm sorry.

7. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Stan Van Gundy must have lost a bet to his brother.

I'm guessing Charlie Ward and Mark Jackson are queing up right now.....

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

wasn't clifford responsible for the offense on the rockets?

9. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Geez, I guess all those weeks of spending one on one time with Olajuwan are going down the toilet.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Oh wait..that was Emeka Okafur. Howard is a blank slate...yeah he'll be ruined for sure lol.

11. thedsz

thedsz Member

Ewing picks his victims carefully. Now that he ruined Yao, he's going for the next most promising big man.

12. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Expect Howard to lose 20 pounds of muscle and start taking fadeaway jumpers exclusively.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Van Gundy trademark. They work their hardest. Hard work overcomes all!