1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schilling might not start game 7!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Nov 2, 2001.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Woo Hoo! How "lucky" can my Yankees get?!?!?!?! According to 610 in Houston Schilling is complaining of sore shoulders and prefers to pitch 4 innings out of the bullpen!

Come on people hop on the bandwagon! Plenty of room for more! ;)

Go Yankees! :)

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If you were a real fan, you wouldn't be talking about a Game 7.

3. R0ckets03

I am a realist fan (Cowboys not withstanding :D ) and I know that Randy will whoop our ass tomorrow! (reverse psy. at work again)

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Schilling is a Pu$%y!!! What the hell man??? Grab your sack and pitch, you sorry excuse for a player.... Its not the middle of May, its the damn WORLD SEIRES!!!

If I was Bob Brenly I would tell that ass clown to get off my team...... I cant believe that crap!!

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

****ing pu$%y! How dare he not start when he thinks he's at risk of a career ending injury! Screw his career and future, it's the WORLD SERIES! [/sarcasm]

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Are you David Wells?

You know, you would think by now that when a player complains of an injury, and says he's to hurt to play we would believe him. This is Curt Schilling, he is as competitive as they come, if he says he can't pitch, then you ****ing believe him. If you don't, that's just being stupid.

And if I were Schilling I would respnd by saying, "Its only because of me and Randy Johnson that most people don't see you as the incompetent fool of a manager you are."

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Can you say mind games?

The D-Backs are backed in a corner. They do not want to tip their hand as to who will pitch Game 7, if it does get down to that.

If Schilling was used in Game 4, you bet your life he will pitch Game 7.

8. Drewdog

C'mon Cat.....geez its not like he has a torn rotator cuff. I know I went off a lot on the guy, but like they say....... excuses are like a-holes...... Im sorry, but I dont have pity for a guy who makes EXCUSES like some BS career ending injury crap..... I dont understand it.... maybe Im missing something......

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

From what I understand from 610, he said he'd rather be a part of the bullpen than start. SOmething along the lines of that he rather they go to him later in the game so he can give them good innings then?

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It makes sense. Arizona's bullpen hasn't exactly been solid. I would be surprised not to see Schilling in Game 7.

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Starting a Game 7 might be worth the risk. It is the ultimate stage for professional baseball and with the championship on the line it should be the pinnacle for a starting pitcher. Some players just rub a little dirt on it and step up to the plate (no pun intended), some don't. Some become legendary because they put it ALL on the line. Apparently, he is not in that category of players that 'know' they can gut it out and produce. That doesn't change the fact that he's a damn fine pitcher, and a major reason they are IN the WS, but it is a little disappointing that he's not yelling for the ball. And apparently its not career threatening anyway, so that makes it even more dubious.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Drewdog-
    Have you ever thrown 100+ pitches on 3 days rest against the best team in baseball?
    The D-backs knew it was a risk pitching him on 3 days rest. He has never done it before in his career and now he is asked to do it. Keep in mind he is not a 20 year old with a rubber arm that can go on and on.
    And as for calling someone out after thay have thrown 2 great games on 3 days rest, hey I won't stoop to your level but as others have mentioned he is a warrior. If he can go, he'll go. Her knows it's the biggest game of his career so I guarantee if he can pitch even an inninig he will.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with HayesStreet...Game 7's come around once in a blue moon in a player's career. If the guy can pitch out of the bullpen that day, certainly he can start. He'd then have all of the offseason to rest his arm....all he's talking about is the difference between pitching about 5 innings and pitching 8 innings. Frankly, it seems a little silly.

With all the improvements in physical training and conditioning, I will never understand why players can't pitch on 3 days rest today when they used to go on 2 days rest for entire careers in the early days of baseball. In this instance, the D-Backs organization shelled out a lot of money to have Schilling pitch for them when it counts most....will he?

14. Drewdog

Finally..... someone understands what the hell I was trying to say.
    Thanks Hays Street......

The bottom line is this 4chuckie and everyone else who thinks Schilling should be kicking back in the bullpen, sipping iced tea, and watching his team lose game 7:

Its the World Series and your team, coaches, and D-back fans are expecting the BEST. If you puss out in favor of "risking an injury", you will forever be known as a quitter in what should be the high point in every baseball players career.

Do you think that Clemens, Nolan Ryan, or for that matter even Jim DeShaies would be sitting in the pen come game 7???? Do you think that Elway, Montana, or Favre would sit out the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl just so they wouldn't get a "career ending injury"??? Can you honestly say that Jordan, Magic, or Bird would sit if the Finals were on the line?? Can you even fathom Lemieux, Gretzky, or Modano taking the risk of losing the Stanely Cup in game 7? HELL NO......

I dont want to hear anymore excuses for this ass clown...... Ive lost all respect for Curt Schilling.

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Drewdog-
    So is Clemens a puss^ for not starting 3 games in the series, is Randy Johnson a clown for not starting 3 games in the series?

Also your comparison to NFL QBs is, well, a joke. NFL QBs play once a week. MLB pitchers throw every fifth day. They have done this for the last 10 years. Yeah I know old timers thrw every 3rd or 4th day but hey people their bodies are now used to going every 5th day.

I saw the record from the past 7 years (I could be wrong on the time frame) for starters in the Series who go on 3 days rest and their record is 1-10. Schilling threw a great game, so to call him out now is ridiculous.

Ok, now I have it figured out every MLB pitcher is a puss^ because they don't pitch every night.

Schilling will throw in the game, but he possibly won't be able to go more than a couple innings. Now understanding this look at where he can be used most effectively. Seattle's starting pitching has been awesome (all 4 starters have done a great job in the series) and their closer has been having a nightmare. Why not start a fresh armed starter let him try to get you 6-7 innings, bring Schilling in for a couple to hopefully finish the game. If Schilling con't complete it throw the Unit out for an inning at the most (pitchjhers still throw in the pen on the off days just not very much).

Don't be surprised to see Schilling start, he is a warrior, but with a sore wing it's hard to tell how effective he will be.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

In the old days pitchers used to pitch complete games every three days out - they also used to throw only two pitches, and the stress on pitchers arms was much, much less than it was today.

Curt Schilling knows his body better than anyone else out there, including you, and including me, and including Bob Brenly. He demanded the ball for game 4, knowing that it meant he would be pitching in Game 7. If Schilling says he can only go a few innings because of his shoulder, and that he would prefer to do those innings in the later part of the game, I would believe him.

No matter what you or anyone else says, only Schilling knows how good he feels and how well he'll pitch, and if Schilling thinks he'll be most effective coming out of the pen for 3-4 innings, I think you go with Brian Anderson for a few Innings, then toss out Bautista for an inning or two, then give Schilling the ball, and tell him to take you home.

Don't give me this nonsense about "pussing out" or "losing respect".

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

anybody else remember isiah thomas playing on a fractured leg and scoring around 40 points in the NBA Finals??? despite the fact doctors told him not to and that he was risking his career by doing so.

anybody else remember michael jordan torching the jazz while dealing with the flu???

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This should make the Yankees day! Schilling is expected to go tomorrow and Schilling says if he goes they will win the World Series! He didn't sound like a man who is coming out of the bullpen. And Schilling at 1% can still mow down the best offense in baseball.

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

By the way Drewdog, I think you owe that "pu@%y" and "@ss clown" an apology. I guarantee he is more of a man then the people ripping the guy. A pitcher with shoulder soreness isn't like us with shoulder soreness. I doubt any of us go to work and fire 90 to 100 mph pitches for 2 hours.

Does anybody remember David Wells and Kerry Woods complaining of shoulder soreness and having to get major surgery? If he has arm problems not only can he not throw, even if he could throw he couldn't control his pitches. So if he loses control and start getting sprayed around, the same people saying he isn't a man for not going out there will turn around and said he let the team down for going out there and playing hurt and killing the team. A pitchers injury is more important then most any other athlete because a pitcher has to be PINPOINT with his pitches. If he is hurt and his control is slightly off, and he gets beat like a drum then the D-Backs are screwed and everybody will be on Brenly for not starting Brian Anderson, who had a good start against the Yankees, especially a left-handed heavy Yankees offense. Good bye game, good bye World Series. Oh but he'll be A MAN for killing his team's chances!

#19 RocksMillenium, Nov 3, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2001
  20. R0ckets03

Aren't we getting just a wee bit carried away now? At 1%? :rolleyes:

Yanks and Roger Clemens are going to whoop that ass tomorrow! :mad: