1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MLittle577, Jul 2, 2007.

1. The Hungarian Rocket

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

75M over 5 years is nearly 13M in the first year with the max 8% yearly increases (13M actually works out to be 76.2M over 5yrs).

The Rockets could have matched that in a S&T with Battier+Sura+Lucas but as the Chron article indicated he hired his agent for a quickly done which has happened. Orlando were also the only franchise that could give him that quickie deal given their cap situation.

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

There is a lot I did not know about Rashard- I had no idea he would command this much money. I also believed he had a history of being hurt- when in fact he is a durable consistent player and averages more than 20 point per game.

Congratulations RAshard- you have done very well!

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

While some pointed up the Rockets' "posturing" in their expressed interest in Rashard Lewis, has anyone considered that it might have played out just the way Morey wanted it to?

Our obvious need has been PF-- even Morey has commented on that for weeks.

By forcing the Magic to ante-up big-time and quickly for Lewis, Morey probably foresaw the new status of Milicic's contract as a UFA.

I don't know jack about Darko other than he was highly touted and has been somewhat disappointing. But he's still in the league. He got no breaks from Larry Brown; he seemingly did okay in Orlando and Hollinger, in particular, seems to have raised his Darko esteem.

I say go for the young guy not any of the old guys...

5. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Somewhat disappointing? This kid was the #2 pick, hes a bust until he proves otherwise. I wouldn't mind giving the chance on him but hes not worth more than the MLE.

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

The Rockets don't need a player who runs with his tail between his legs to the eastern conference because the west is just too tough for him. I can't believe some actually suggested trading McGrady for Lewis.

8. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

The best thing is that we're not wasting any time and are not going to get Carlos Beltraned.

9. MONON

MONON Member

Alston for Yi, anyone?!?!? :D

10. giddyup

There's a pretty good list of teenage entrants who took awhile to get any good: Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, even Kobe was mediocre his first two years.

I also think it's tougher for a young big guy to have an impact because of strength issues.

Certainly the jury is out on Darko but he could still excell. He's only 21.

11. MONON

MONON Member

I like that reasoning. Have Hayes start with Amir Johnson & Landry learning against 2nd team opposition. Between the 3 of them, they could average 16 minutes a game. Maybe later on we could have Johnson and Landry as the 2nd team 5 & 4.

12. giddyup

How many of you work for the baddest company in your industry? Would you take a paycut to work for them-- even if it meant millions of dollars lost in a relatively short career?

Lewis might have come to Houston if we were serious and if the bidding were close, but to denigrate his character because he went to an up-and-comer (they are) who offered the most money is unrealistic.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think the Rockets position on Rashard was just posturing..a little love to the hometown guy the previous administration burned so badly; a little buzz of pub for the fans during the off season and making Orlando jump on a bad contract putting Darko in play. I think every FA and agent figured Rashard was the #1 commodity out there, so I don't think they will be offended by being second to that.

I am surprised that the Sonics couldn't put together a SnT though, even to Orlando. It seems like it would have benefited both...The Sonics get some value out of Rashard and the Magic clear some cap space for Darko. I guess the Magic just didn't have any players the Sonics would want to pay for or expiring contracts of any value. I guess the the Magic figure if they just bid the Max for Rashard, though they would be screwed for cap space for the forseeable futre and lose Darko, they would at least get to keep the future draft choices they would most likely have has to throw in to a SnT.

If I'm Rashard I'm thrilled...no state income tax, move into a giant mansion in Ilseworth next to Tiger...golf and fish right out of your backdoor...warm winters....take your kids to Disneyworld VIP style whenever.... and a respectable chance to play deep into the playoffs for the lenght of the contract.

I'd rather live rich in Orlando than Houston myself.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not sure the Sonics were all that interested in a S&T.....they might be better off just getting his salary off the books.....and not taking any other contracts in return.

That way they can build around Durant and Green....with a lot of cap space.

DD

15. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Bad news for you Lewis lovers: Morey wouldn't have matched Orlando's offer even if he could have. Moneyball means putting your wallet away when the bidding gets too high.

Just be thankful we don't suck as bad as the Magic. We once did, and that's when we signed guys like Mo Taylor and Moochie Norris to crazy money. When you've got nothing to offer but $$$, that's what you offer.

16. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Good point Will. Man those days of "Chow Time" Maurice Taylor, Two Sandwiches, Moochie... Never again I hope.

17. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

That contract is ridiculous!!

I wouldn't have given up more than $8-9 mil. for the first year for him. He just is not worth enough to get paid a contract starting around $13 mil.

The Magic get a good player but thier management continues to make bad decisions and they are going to regret paying Rashard that money in a couple of years. Good luck trying to win with Howard, Lewis; an inconsistent, tiny backcourt and no front court help at all.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Orlando is doing the right thing, they probably over paid for him, but they needed a consistent outside threat at the SF position to help Howard.

And with their young guards they are going to be good in the East this year onward.

DD

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

While we do need scoring, Rashard wasn't the greatest fit for the Rockets because of his lack of rebounding ability. I watched a fair amount of Sonics bball and noticed that they would just get dominated on the battle boards. I think he'll be a great fit for the Magic. I'm sure they did overpay to an extent, but anything is better than the returns from their Grant Hill investment...and look what happened to T-Mac. From watching the playoffs, the Magic desperately needed shooting, and that's what Rashard Lewis is...he's like a slightly more versatile Peja Stoyakovic. Rashard is not going to need to be a great rebounder for them considering they have arguably the best rebounder in the L in Dwight Howard.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good to see Shard get paid, I'm not upset because I never thought we had a chance at him anyways. $15M is a lot to pay for him but Shard is exactly the scoring threat Orlando needed.