1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi wants out!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bratna8, Jun 28, 2007.

1. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

[​IMG]

?

2. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

You know absolutely nothing about what your talking about. Atlanta has a huge asian community. Not as big as LA, Chicago.. but yeah.. don't speak what you don't know.

3. m0lson

m0lson Member

From the Milwaukee news it seems like they are intent on keeping Yi, maybe playing Charlie V at the SF. I don't think they'll trade him. He'll be a good fit for the Bucks.

4. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Houston should try the best to get Yi, then trade Brooks for Sun Yue. Les should be able to get ALL marketing deal from China plus he can charge the China government for training their national team..... :D :D

#84 ccjj, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  5. thedsz

thedsz Member

LMFAO another rude idiot with no reading comprehension skills. Atlanta has had a huge GROWTH in asian population. Just because it grew from 10 to 1000 doesn't mean it has a huge asian community.

Honolulu, Hawaii (55.9%)
    Daly City, California (50.7%)
    Fremont, California (37.0%)
    Sunnyvale, California (32.3%)
    Garden Grove, California (30.9%)
    San Francisco, California (30.8%)
    Irvine, California (29.8%)
    Santa Clara, California (29.3%)
    Torrance, California (28.6%)
    Vancouver, British Columbia (27.3%)*
    San Jose, California (26.9%)
    Vallejo, California (24.2%)
    West Covina, California (22.7%)
    Toronto, Ontario (20.2%)*
    Stockton, California (19.9%)
    Hayward, California (19.0%)
    El Monte, California (18.5%)
    Queens, New York (17.6%)**
    Bellevue, Washington (17.4%)
    Sacramento, California (16.6%)
    Lowell, Massachusetts (16.5%)
    Berkeley, California (16.4%)
    Jersey City, New Jersey (16.2%)
    Fullerton, California (16.1%)
    Glendale, California (16.1%)
    Oakland, California (15.2%)
    San Diego, California (13.6%)
    Seattle, Washington (13.1%)
    St. Paul, Minnesota (12.4%)
    Anaheim, California (12.0%)
    Long Beach, California (12.0%)
    Ann Arbor, Michigan (11.9%)
    Cambridge, Massachusetts (11.9%)
    Norwalk, California (11.5%)
    Fresno, California (11.2%)
    Spring Valley, Nevada (11.2%)
    Chula Vista, California (11.0%)
    Carrollton, Texas (10.9%)
    Plano, Texas (10.2%)
    Los Angeles, California (10.0%)
    Pasadena, California (10.0%)

You see Atlanta or anywhere near Atlanta on that list? Please don't post at all when you don't know how to read.

6. Wasabi_sauce

Wasabi_sauce Member

stop pulling numbers out of your ass.

"Between 1990 and 2000, the Asian population in metro Atlanta increased 229 percent to 135,959 from 41,323, according to the U.S. Census Bureau."
    - Atlanta Business Chronicle

that's certainly nothing to be frowned upon

The numbers you posted up are merely percentage breakdowns. According to you're logic, since Houston isn't on the list we must not have a lot of asians, even though we have the 8th largest Asian population in the US.

idiot.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If he wants Asians he can play in China.

8. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Players with lottery level talent should be able to at least "influence" where, who and how they end up playing.

There are SO MANY players with skill and talent who end up labled as busts or disappointments simply because they end up with the wrong coach or the wrong system....

If Houston can get Yi it would satisfy SOOOOO many of our needs while at the same time doing wonders for Yao and Yi to each have someone they can hang with, speak to in their own language, eat with, etc.

There's NO replacement for cultural comfort when you're away from home. Anyone who's ever been out of the country for more than a week will know that!

I say give them Battier, next year's #1 and Luther if necessary. That way they get a former lottery pick (also number 6 if I recall), another top pick and an outside threat in Luther.

Then we can still use the MLE to get someone with legit power!!!!

9. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

No chance at Alba for you with that strategy!

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

:D

very true.

why do they want him to play in a city with a large asian population?

i understand why a city with a large asian population would want yi, but not the other way around.

...maybe just to ease him in to american culture?

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Man, that would suck if he ended up being the Asian Stromile Swift.

12. MFW

MFW Member

This has to be outrightly, among the most moronic things I've ever heard. China is homogeneous? Um yeah, considering that 2200+ years after unification, it is still more genetically (not to mention otherwise) diverse than all of Europe.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't know man, I never seen a brother in China.

14. YaoFanatic

YaoFanatic Member

What shocked me more than Yi going to the Bucks was the fact that Seattle used the #5 pick on Jeff Green! How dumb is that when Yi, Wright, Brewer, and Noah were available and all predicted to go higher than him! That truly was a bogus move. Seattle now has Durant, Lewis, Green and Wallyworld all playing the same position! Wonderful, just like the Rox collection of PG's-- really dumb!! A Durant-Yi combo would have been really electrifying... Too bad that dream scenario didn't pan out for Yi. But Milwaukee isn't that bad a location, only 1hr from Chicago.... And I see all 3 Charlie V, Bogut, and Yi playing together to form the triple towers lineup.. :)

15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

False, i've lived there for two years and not just the big cities, in the countryside and the so-called minority villages. They may not all be Han, but they are Chinese in culture and society and in a lot of their shared values. Diversity doesn't just come from different geneology, it also comes from having lots of immigrants over a long period of time and then giving those immigrants the power to share their views in society. While a lot of the Chinese in China i've met are extremely racist by american standards, a lot of the Asian-americans I know are the least racist people i've met.

As for Yi, tough nuggets for him, by declaring for the draft he knew he was risking the chance of going to a small city. We wanted Yao to act more "American", Yi seems more open minded and more new-school, so he's going to get plenty of america in Wisconsin.

16. Showtizzle2642

hmmm dream senario would be battier + rafer +jl3 for m williams and yi
    then sign g wallace

then just replace r wallace for yi and you'll have my signature lol

i really need to stop dreamin... well back to reality for now..... ;)

17. uchlha

uchlha Member

"hey guyz want some cheese?" lol only a pipe dream that we can trade and get YJL

18. Party Boy

Party Boy Member

way to stereotype.

did you see the GS crowd during the playoffs? Almost everyone there was asian.

19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

20. MFW

MFW Member

Here's a hint: get informed. There is no such thing as "Chinese culture." Aside from the fact that the ethnic Hans are only one of 56 nationalities, the Hans themselves aren't uniform.

They went from speaking several thousand languages 2000 years ago to speaking several thousand dialects today. They eat different food, drink different wine and tea, can't understand each other, have different priorities. The local regionalism make European nationalism look like child play.

And Chinese people racist? While it is true that according to the APA, all people are racist, Chinese "racism" juxtaposed next to American racism must be the joke of the century. Whereas both are racist, the Chinese never allowed theirs to drift from stereotypes into prejudice and hate crimes. And America?

As for Yi himself, I think he should honour the contract, but that comes from my belief that one should hold to one's agreements. He'll play and if he has to, he'll play in Milwaukee. At this point the Bucks should do more to convince his agent instead of him.

Actually there are plenty. Perhaps not as much as America, but enough to make one aware of their existence.