1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clipper Game Thoughts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Nov 1, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I totally agree Dearrock..guys are giving KT the open 18 footer all night and he needs to step up and take the shot. If he can drag the opposing 4's out to 17-20 feet from the hoop, it will really open up our offense.

2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

There have been several times that Cato was there for the rebound and let Cat, Francis or another Rocket have it.

For those unable to watch the games, the box scores don't always show his contributions.

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I would agree TB..but Calvin actually said something that made some sense. There was a play where Cato and either Cat or Steve went up for the same rebound and it looked as though they were both going after it not knowing if there was anyone from the Clipps going after it as well. Bill said "Cuttino (or steve) needs to let Cato have the rebound" and Calvin said "Cato needs to GO AND GET IT"

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Speaking of Calvin! Now that I have league pass, I am finally able to see and hear Calvin. I think he is the bomb. I would not trade him for anyone. He is part of the deal, the package.

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

give it time...

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Stats don't always tell the tale. Cato did an outstanding job without the ball, and those stats are impressive considering the officials were trigger happy on the Rocks. Cato fouled out, KT fouled out, Willis had 3 or 4 fouls on him and even Francis had 3 fouls on him. It was ridiculous. People are quick to rip on Cato, but he's doing a pretty good job thus far this season.

<b>I would agree TB..but Calvin actually said something that made some sense. There was a play where Cato and either Cat or Steve went up for the same rebound and it looked as though they were both going after it not knowing if there was anyone from the Clipps going after it as well. Bill said "Cuttino (or steve) needs to let Cato have the rebound" and Calvin said "Cato needs to GO AND GET IT"

</b>

That's easier said then done. Those guards are snipers.

#26 RocksMillenium, Nov 2, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2001
  7. knifejc

knifejc Member

I would have like to have seen Griffin on Miles when he killing Walt late in the 4th quarter. I know he's still a rookie but he couldn't have done much worse than the Wizard defensively.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What was it exactly about Elton Brand's game that made the Bulls want to give up on him? He was absolutely dominant last night. Scored inside, hit the boards, almost single-handedly fouled out both of our starting big men...

Francis was awesome, especially in overtime. Mobes came up big on several occassions. Walt was much more effective, again, when he played power forward after K9 left. Willis was impressive with his consistancy inside.

Still, its hard for me to get a read so far. Both games we've gone through some bad scoring droughts where we didn't move the ball, didn't run plays, just shot long jumpers and ISOd. I don't know if we are playing down to the level of the competition, or if this team still has offensive issues. Between Franchise, Cat, Rice, and Big Kev, this team should never struggle to score points.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you complain about Walt's defense against Miles in the 4th quarter (Miles had 7 points), shouldn't you praise Walt's defense in OT when Miles had 0 points? Incidentally, in the last 7 minutes of the 4th quarter Miles had 1 point, so in the last 12 minutes of the game, Walt must have played spectacular defense on him, correct? Miles certainly was NOT "killing" Williams late in the 4th quarter.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree Cassell. The Rockets make it to easy to guard them. They stand around in iso, and then set a weak pick and fade and most of the time get a long jumper. The reason the clipps kept coming back was because we were shooting 23ft humpers and they were getting fouls or 8 ft shots. You have a higher % chance to score on a 8ft contested shot than a 23 ft uncontested one. I know a lot of people say I'm very negative, but this offense should be better. If old ass Utah can get in the upper 90's, then we should too. We never get any transition buckets, everything is walk up and play. We should be able to run into the offense off of transition. Its not like I want us to be flashy and not win, I just think for such a young team, we a very boring to watch. We need to push the ball after misses , makes, turnovers, everything. Our offensive pace is very slow. They wonder why no one shows up for the games.

11. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

You have a higher % chance to score on a 8ft contested shot than a 23 ft uncontested one
    Good point. That's kinda goes w/my post Good win but....w/my post Good win but....

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

Sam I Am,

i think you just answered your own question.

the bulls gave up him because he IS dominant. they, IMO, knew they'd have NO CHANCE at resigning him once his contract was due. rather than wait to the last second and try to convince him to let them do a s&t where they'd pick up scraps, they took the proactive approach.

knowing that they are an absolutely horrible franchise that stands little to no chance of becoming respectable in the next 2 years, they went ahead and traded him. chandler/curry buys them time for at least 4 years. hopefully, they could improve and hold on to these guys.

the bulls are absolutely terrible. absolutely horribly managed. absolutely horribly coached.

13. knifejc

knifejc Member

maybe killing him was the wrong words but it was funny to me that rail thin Miles was posting up Walt. Maybe it was just his quicknes and atheletic ability that was too much for Walt. And it wasn't so much that Walt stopped him in OT but the Clippers really didn't go to him in OT.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Miles obviously wasn't posting Williams up too well, considering he did not get any shots the last 7 minutes of regulation and 5 minutes of OT with the exception of the one he was fouled on.

15. Swami

Swami Member

The fact that our offense has been so weak in the first two games just underscores how much we miss Mo Taylor. I loved the way Mo used to just kill teams in the first quarter with that nice bank shot of his. That outside shooting opened up the lanes later in the game for Cat and Steve. Get well soon Mo!

16. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Rudy: ... I am going to ask Les about overtime pay.

Hilarious! :D

17. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

Is there any chance Mo Taylor will come back later in the season?