1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So much for Morey "showing his cards"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Honey Bear, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

We definitely did not draft the best talent available (as Morey stated we would), we drafted for need. We also drafted people who can be expected to contribute this year, contradictory to what Morey said in interviews. But it was bold and gutsy to go with Brooks and Landry, players who will have a specific role to play off the bench. Brooks gives us the penetration we desperately need and Landry has an outside shot to go with his blue-collar game. And you know there has to be some statistical evidence to back up Morey picking these guys well ahead of where they were projected to go.

Only time will tell if Morey overvalued them based on strong workouts, but I'm relieved we didn't go with stiffs like McRoberts or Glen Davis.

Draft Grade: B+

2. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

are u freaking kidding me?????????!!!!! B Plus?????? more like a F!!! And u would rather take Brooks over MCROBERTS and GLEN DAVIS?? ARE U OUT OF YOUR MIND????????

3. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I give C+.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Glen Davis is out of this league in 2 years, I'll bet money on that. It would have been nice if Dominic McGuire fell to us at 54, but I think you have to appreciate the urgency Houston is showing. Carl Landry's workouts were compared with Paul Millsap and Craig Smith, you can't argue with that.

5. tested911

tested911 Member

ITS A BIG FAT F-

What happened to trade potential in the drafts... Morey are you trying to mask the Texans draft mistakes? Damn you Casserly you frigin cursed this town......

6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

glen davis is a tweener who will never make it in the NBA. He had a great low post game for college, but in the NBA?
    ALSO, do we need him beside YAO?

NO, we don't need low post from the power forward. We need a dog.

good thing we passed on davis

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

i guess this means someone is on his way out of houston... is till cant believe we didnt get big baby, and got brooks so early... sigh- draft day in houston, always interesting. i give a C+/B-

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I give them an incomplete -- for smoking crack on the back steps.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Morey is very shrewd.

There were a lot of smoke and mirrors today. I don't understand any of it, but I guess he's the professional for a reason.

11. wilsonliu

wilsonliu Member

heh i wouldnt even give him a F
    prob. a X

12. two-sandwiches

I saw rudy and cd walking out of starbucks hopped up and laughing their ASsesS off.......kinda made me angry.....so let me get this straight Morey played ball for MIT? :confused:

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When it came to drafting players, Rudy and CD laid eggs most every year after Sam Cassell was drafted. Cat is the only exception I can think of right now. If they were laughing at Morey hopefully they laughed at themselves too.

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I tend to somewhat agree although they probably reached on Brooks. I'm just glad they didn't waste our time with McRoberts.

15. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

morey..i put so much faith in you..i hope he has something up his sleeve

16. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Tell me whats wrong with Mcroberts? Are u telling me that Brooks is gonna be more effective and play a bigger role than if Mcroberts was here in Houston? At least if we drafted Mcroberts we would of added some size at least....

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I really can't give a grade. I really don't have any idea if these guys will translate at all. So of course, incomplete.

BUT, I agree these picks are more for immediate need. Rafer does not fit in a sacramento offense. Landry gives a jumper while not being a softie(hopefully).

I'm definitely excited to see these two on the court.

Newly? Not so much.

18. rserina

rserina Member

I agree completely. Davis has some real question marks. He can shoot and rebound at the collegiate level, but he can't defend, he can't run, he can't elevate, and he can't keep his weight down.

And I don't mind the Landry deal, either. Being a Florida grad, I watched him play very well against the Florida post guys in the second round of the tournament. He had 18 and 10, with 4 assists and 3 steals. He is tough, is athletic, and plays hard. I don't think he is as good of a post-defender or even rebounder as Hayes, but he is longer, more athletic, and gives you something offensively. He is not your starter, but he at least gives you some depth and one more option.

Besides, no four you get at #26 or later is going to become your starter on a playoff caliber team. If Landry can take Howard's minutes, then I am happy.

19. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

I call this a none-draft.

20. xlr817

xlr817 Member

LOL! Don't you guys know that Morey Eel is Charley Casserley's love child! :p