1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

She's just riding a skateboard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MiddleMan, Jun 27, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? I am talking about how he reacted DURING the video, the guy escalated a minor situation and overreacted.......IMO.

At least with the video the facts have a chance of coming out, because in many situations like this the cops side is the only one that is thought of as credible and many times it is the least credible. Remember, a cop is just a person, no better, no worse.....his view does not count one iota more than the kids being arrested.....IMO

I don't recall that one.....

Because what happened before is irrelevant, it is what happened after the arrest that I am talking about.......and IMO, he was in the wrong big time....and those BS charges he was throwing out.....simply inexcusable.

Battery...WTF ever.

There was no reason to choke those people, especially that girl, he said to sit down and then immediatly grabbed her and started choking, he could have said, "Either you sit down, or you are going to be arrested, your choice"....

He resorted to physicality far to quickly, it should have been a last resort.

He is trained to handle these situations the other officer didn't choke anyone.

Don't know, do you? Maybe he was breaking the law too, maybe he was just walking with the skateboard in his hands, who knows.....?

Glad he shot the video, now justice has a fair chance to be done.

Again, I am talking about what we saw in the video....I think the cop broke the law by using excessive force and escalating a situation. The evidence in the video shows that he was wrong and overreacted to a non violent situation.

No, I never said that, I think it should be a last resort.

DD

2. BD5

BD5 Member

headlock on a little girl not even 100 lbs?

i'm sorry but after seeing that again my instinct with an adrenaline rush might've been a full on body shot right to that fat f-ck's gut especially with that idiotic double headlock attempt

so lucky i'm not a sk8ter

nyquil? your imagination's a little too vivid; take a breather from your comp for a few days and go play outside for a while ;)

3. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

so it's ok to assume the kid was skating without evidence while it's not ok to assume the cop arrested the first kid for nothing but skateboarding?

4. WildSweet&Cool

I have indicated in bold below EXACTLY what the kids did to deserve arrest.
    <br>

Video begins. Camera approaches Cop and kid #1 who is already on the ground with the cop on top of him. We therefore do not know how this situation came to be. It is clear that the cop is already intent on arresting Kid #1.

00:14 cop: "Get back!"
    - one of the three standing kids (let's call him kid #2) gets back and can be seen on the left side of the screen, approaching the cameraman. The other kids ignore the cop's command and kid # 3 yells at the cop something like "he's like a yo-yo, man!"

00:18 cop (to kid #1): "Turn over!"
    - kid # 1 ignores cop's command and does not turn over

00:22 cop (to kid #1): "Turn over on your belly now!"
    - kid #1 turns over on his belly

00:29 cop (to kid #1): "When I tell you to stop, and tell everybody to keep going... that's fleeing, that's disorderly conduct, and it's a violation of city ordinance."

PAUSE...
    When a cop tells you to stop... YOU STOP. If you don't, you might get Your ass kicked by the police.
    CONTINUE...

The kids continue to repeat "he's just riding a skateboard" (they are clearly oblivious to the fact that the officer is arresting the kid for a failure to cooperate with a police officer.

00:38 Kid # 2 re-enters the screen on the left side.

00:43 Kid # 2 begins to walk away. Cop points at Kid # 2 and says, "Come here!"
    - Kid # 2 ignores it the cop's command and begins to run away from the cop. Cop stands and runs after him leaving Kid #1 on the sidewalk.

NOTE: Bystander says, "Oh, and you're running from the police?!?! That's bad, too!"

00:50 Kid # 4 (girl) screams "Go, Stanley, Go!" encouraging her friend to flee from the police. Cameraman says, "Dude, this is not good, man."

00:58 Cameraman: "Dude, let's leave. Seriously." Kid # 1 (still cuffed) stands up (even though the cop told him to be on his belly).

01:02 Kid # 1: "I'm not running, I'm staying right here."

1:08 Cop sees kid # 1 walking around and runs back to him. Cop grabs him by the arm and walks him off camera toward his fellow cop.

1:20 the three other kids and cameraman follow them.

1:36 Cop can be heard repeating Kid # 1, "If I tell you to stop, {inaudible}.. skateboard, that's fleeing!"

1:39 Kid # 1 now appears to be sitting in a chair with the cop standing over him.

1:40 Cop says to kid #4 (girl - who is now standing very close to Kid #1 and is not visible because she is in front of Kid # 3), "Ya know what... sit down!" (points at girl)

- girl says, "No!", ignores this command and continues to stand where she is.

1:43 Cop (again to Kid # 3) "You're violating city ordinance! Sit down!"
    - girl says, "No!

1:46 Cop: "Then you're under arrest, too!"
    - girl turns around and tries to run away from the cop.

The girl gets about 10 feet away before the cop catches her. He tries to bring her back to the area where Kid # 1 is seated, but she resists his arrest.

1:52 Kid # 3 screams at cop as he attempts to subdue the girl, "She's riding a skateboard!"

1:55 Kid # 3 tries to physically stop the cop from apprehending the girl. Cop get his head under his left arm, while he has the girls head under his right arm. Both kids are struggling to resist arrest and flee.

2:00 girl breaks free and runs away from the cop. Cop tackles Kid # 3 to the ground in order to subdue him.

Cameraman repeatedly says "sir sir sir sir.. it's okay"

2:04 Cop (to cameraman) "Get back!"
    - camraman says, "Okay" and steps back, repeating, "it's okay". Cop's partner assists cop in subduing Kid # 3.

2:14 Cop approaches cameraman and says, "put it down."
    - cameraman: "okay, okay"

{various inaudible talk for a few seconds carema is left on the ground}

2:29 cop (to camraman): "Put your arms behind your back! Lay down flat on your stomach! Hands behind your back!" (meanwhile, Kid # 3 continues to yell at the cop).

=======

Synopsis:

Obviously, almost all of the kids failed to comply with the cop. At the beginning of the clip, we have no way of knowing what led to the cop being on top of Kid # 1, but throughout the rest of the clip, the cop only uses physical violence to control a kid who is fleeing or resisting.

The cameraman actually obeyed all of the cop's orders; however, it was clear at the end of the clip, after the girl and Kid # 2 had both run away, that the cop had had enough of these kids and intended to arrest them all, including the cameraman.

In my opinion, the cop did absolutely nothing wrong at all, the kids were completely in the wrong, behaved terrible, deserved to get arrested and deserved to get their asses beat (except for the cameraman) and we should all support cops like these.

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i feel safer now.

6. DaDakota

We are not going to agree at all, no one deserves getting their asses beat, having a badge does not give anyone a right to beat someone else.

With overzealous cops like this on the street, thank god for video.........

Unbelievable....

DD

7. BD5

BD5 Member

just a hunch but... you unquestioningly support Bush, correct?

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Considering nowhere in this video does the cop ever identify himself as a cop, and some of the kids show up after the first kid is arrested, it is all even more of a crazy situation.

Cop or not, if some enormous guy is throwing a choke-hold on a 100lb teenage girl who is not resisting, well, a a friend, even if it's against the law, is it your duty to do something to make him stop. The girl could have been seriously injured. What if instead of a friend, it's her dad who then "attacks" the cop - in the sense that he tried to get him to stop. Would that ok - not from a legal perspective, but from a moral one?

I won't be as adamant as DaDakota, but I think he's right.

At some point, consdiering the enormous lack of violence on the part of the offenders, the cop has to take a second and say, "Hot Springs PD, sit down in that chair or you will be arrested." He needs to do it calmly, yet assertively.

2 kids got arreseted/harmed for absolutely no reason - the girl and the videotaper. The videotaper is obvious. The girl because people aren't robots. If I won the lottery and somebody told me all I had to do was clap my hands once, it would still take me a few seconds. She was mistreated, and considering the potential for actual physical harm, it is almost more egregious than the videotape guy getting arrested.

This cop needs to be fired or seriously re-trained. Regardless of right versus wrong, it is clear that, aside from the kids actions, the cops actions alone escalated the situation. If this was a different scenario, a lot worse could have happened because of it.

9. WildSweet&Cool

As per your request, I broke it down and clearly indicated what the kids did wrong.

Also... in uncut video # 2 (link the officer clearly states to each kid what they're under arrest for:

cameraman: violation of city ordinance against skateboarding
    Kid # ?: fleeing, resisting arrest.
    Kid # 3: interference with a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest, violation of city ordinance.

Now....

You tell me exactly what the cop did wrong and at which points.

10. DaDakota

http://arkansasmatters.com/media_player.php?media_id=10463

Looks like the police are investigating, BECAUSE of this video.

How many people think this would have just been swept under the rug if there was no video?

He used excessive force throughout the entire affair. No need to choke the girl, no need to choke hold the kid on the ground, no need to tell the kid "come here" because he heard he had a picture of him choking the boy on the ground.

The officer overreacted and thanks to a video, the truth will come out, because without it, the courts would have just taken the cops word for it, even though it is clear that he shares a good amount of the blame.

And, I am glad the mayor and the police department agree, and have suspended him........but he did nothing wrong, right?

DD

#110 DaDakota, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The kid was told to turn over and did nothing...which is probably as much because he was already turned over as because he wanted to dissrespect a cop. When he was told exactly how to turn over, he did it.

no need to respond to any more of your post. you're just throwing in random bolds and comments as if they mean anything...??

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

he used excessive force by choking children...

it can be seen at the part of the video where he is choking children

13. WildSweet&Cool

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

lol Even the camerman man kept saying "they were just skateboarding".

And I wouldn't say nothing. The video clearly showed some of the kids resisting, interfering and running away when told not to.

15. DaDakota

What if the cop is in the wrong? Should we just assume that they are good guys? I mean what about that cop that just killed his pregnant girlfriend?

Cops are just as capable of being corrupt and making poor choices as anyone else....

Well, I am glad the mayor and the police department agree that something was amiss and have suspended this guy.

DD

16. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

look i found DaDakota!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/caBizqmznZ4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/caBizqmznZ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

get off clutchfans and get some sleep man you look tired.
    just kidding man

17. WildSweet&Cool

As I said, the bolded text indicates where the kids violated the law.

The circumstances leading to that are unknown. It's possible that the cop was out of line. It's also possible that the cop was doing what was needed to subdue the kid. We don't know.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

you don't have the right to go choke slamming people who are basically bystanders telling you to stop doing what you are doing.

the guy flipped the f*ck out and is going to lose his job.

it seems like it was mission accomplished whenever they had stopped skating, so why the need to basically "arrest" them?

I've never heard of someone getting arrested for violating a city ordinance anywhere.. mostly you get a FINE... not detained/jail time.

19. DaDakota

Well, I would not go that far and say they were innocent, but I admire his passion !

But his hair...ugh, the kids now days !!

;)

20. WildSweet&Cool

YES. Most of them are.

And for every one of those that makes CNN, there are hundreds that put their lives at risk for us every day.

Yup. And that's for a judge to decide, not for us to take matters into our own hand.