1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Noooooo - NBA extends TV contracts with ESPN/ABC and TNT

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by WhoMikeJames, Jun 27, 2007.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2918089

NEW YORK -- The NBA announced extensions of its television contracts with ESPN/ABC and TNT on Wednesday, deals that will include rights for digital media content.

The eight-year extensions will go through the 2015-16 season. The current six-year contracts expire at the end of next season.

Financial details were not immediately disclosed.

The digital rights include the ability for the networks to broadcast live games and other content on digital media, including the Web and mobile TV. The deal also covers any new outlets ESPN develops between now and 2016.

ESPN's digital rights also include:

• Ability to include ESPN and ABC games and studio programming in any ESPN offering, on a live, delayed and on-demand basis and in an interactive format.

• Use of NBA-licensed content in multi-sport programming.

• Ability to simulcast full NBA games live on ESPN360.com and ESPN Mobile TV.

• Continued development of GameCast, fantasy games and interactive applications, as well as ESPN content and programming integration into EA Sports video games.

• Use of NBA-licensed content in user-personalized features on ESPN platforms.

"This agreement sets a new standard -- it is the most expansive package of rights we've acquired from a major professional league in our 27-year history," ESPN president George Bodeheimer said. "We're thrilled to take a major step forward in our relationship with David Stern and the NBA with this broad, global agreement. The scope of this deal and the new rights we obtained offer us tremendous opportunities to serve NBA fans like never before -- in the U.S., around the world, and through any device."

ABC will continue to air 15 regular-season games and the entire NBA Finals and will televise an increased number of games earlier in the playoffs. The maximum number of times a certain team can appear on the network during the regular season has been increased.

ESPN and ESPN2 will continue to show up to 75 regular-season games as well as one of the conference finals. ESPN will increase the number of early-round playoff games it airs.

In addition, ESPN will televise exclusive coverage of the NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, the NBA draft and draft lottery each season, and feature coverage of the yearly NBA pre-draft camp on ESPNU.

The contract also includes new rights for ESPN International to televise games worldwide.

TNT will continue to air 52 regular-season games, the All-Star Game and one of the conference finals.

The previous deal paid the NBA an average of $765 million a year.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping they would take ABC out of the deal when they renewed it this year and just have more TNT and less ESPN. Why doesn't TNT do the Finals? :eek:

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? ESPN/ABC AGAIN?

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WORLD COMING TO? MORE PUSSYCAT BULLCRAP?

Why the hell didn't NBC go after this ****?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

zzzzz... only way I'm watching a game on ABC next season is if the Rockets are playing.. and only cause its in hd. Otherwise I'll watch it on Fox.. *crosses fingers* i hope Fox goes HD!!!

4. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Oh great, more Kobe and Lebron.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

FiretrUCK! This sucks, I hate ABC, they don't pick up any Rox games.

6. BD5

BD5 Member

yuk. just... yuk :(

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Damn,

I hate ABC's Teeny Bopper Sheeyat. Plus the fact I have to listen to Greg freaking Anthony, Steven "A" and the rest of their Garbage crew argue about pointless crap. This Sucks!!

8. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

at least i get to see it in hi def...

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

NBC is owned by Universal who is owned by GE who is owned by whom I have no idea, but they obviously see no financial upside to the deal.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well why not? I mean the Finals was such a ratings success for ABC and the NBA. :rolleyes:

11. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Shame TNT is a cable channel and don't have the resources to make a bid.

And ugh more Lebron games. Can there be a worse team to watch than the Cavs?

12. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Nice. Most of the NBA games suck anyway. The deal with ABC/ESPN just give me one more reason to skip more NBA games.

More free time for me. I don't want to see Lebron James and Cavs no more. :cool:

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The TNT and ESPN part we can live with. Absolutely TERRIBLE to renew ABC, just BAD BAD...tells you what the NBA is all about.

Dont think if the NBA was on NBC or anywhere else that we wouldnt get a big heaping dose of Lebron James and Kobe every week. Networks would be dumb not to. Just that ABC makes it look so obvious and forced. And lacks the overall presentation of NBC to make ALL GAMES look entertaining.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I hate NBA on ABC. Only thing that makes it watchable is if its in HD. Maybe it'll get better. I mean, they won't be using the Pussycat Dolls for another year will they?

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

ABCs the only network that can bargain with bulk. The other networks have cable channels, but they don't mesh too well with seasonal sports interruptions.

16. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I just don't see what the appeal of Lebron James is. His team is as unwatchable as the JVG Rockets and Lebron doesn't have that personality or swagger that other superstars like Kobe has.

Presentation does help a lot though. It's why I wished TNT could get more playoff games.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

18. DreamRoxCoogFan

dam- now the only way to watch is with gene and jim on radio while watching the game on tv

o wait... crap. :(

19. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

lame. more lebron vs noonegivesaflyingf*ck

20. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

damn this sucks..i miss the good ole nba on nbc games..now that was the ****! damn i hate abc..the commintators suck and its just boring..all you see are cavs,spurs, and pistons...wtf...go back to nbc!!!!!!! TNT is ok though i like them