1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

myths exposed...Cat & KT's defense was outstanding...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Oct 31, 2001.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Crispee-Did you watch the 1st half? SAR torched KT and Eddie.

SAR was shutdown though in the 2nd half, and commited turnover after turnover thanks to KT.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KT did a nice job in the 2nd half. The Rick Fox comparison is interesting. I'd like to wait till we see him play against a bruiser (Elton Brand will do tomorrow night) and one of the new age 4s (Wallace/Garnett type) before glorifying or shunning his defense.
    I will say, I wasn't too enthralled with the Willis/KT combo, compared to Willis/Griffin, or Cato/KT.

BTW crispee- I heard Rudy say "Curl 4" (or 4 Curl?) for those KT isos against Mottola. Just in case you want to add that to your collection.

The whole team stepped up on defense, they're playing smart defense, similar to the Knicks. The San Antonio game was a huge breakthrough IMO, because that was the first game our defense totally dominated, especially the interior. Steve won't go 6-21, and Rice won't shoot that bad, and if we can put the defense with the offense, we could start blowing bad teams out, and winning vs. good ones.

Especially Cat. Cuttino's defense impressed me in the preseason, and from Stackhouse to Terry, Cuttino hasn't just been shutting down high scoring SGs-he's been denying them the oppurtunity to get even tough shots. And when guys like Terry and Stackhouse aren't scoring, they're dead weight on the floor with their "did Cuttino just waltz past me?" defense.

3. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

You know heypartner, I could care less about your I am holier than you banter. I tire of your "This is whats REALLY happening during the game,Not what you think." I watched Shandon play, and he had his poor moments with the Rox. I could care less that you take moments when players are no longer with the Rox to subject them to your "Heypartners rules of being a bad Player" I liked what Shandon did while he was in a rox uni. Point of the matter, the only real problem you had with Shandon was that he was starting over Cuttino. And for two seasons he deserved to start over Cuttino. Period. Please, dont do it....I dont care about the Heypartner Double shakes flex iso run reasoning as to why Cuttino was a better player.

Fact of the matter is you claim Kenny T had a great game defensively. Sure if you consider 28 points a great defensive game. You see Kenny's dominance, I see Shareef just not getting it done in the second half.

I cant believe you could be as hypocritical as to say all I do is say your wrong and run....You are the absolute master of this. NO ONE in the history of BBS posting has taken this posture more than you. But I have a good memory heypartner. I remember beating down your theories early on over a year ago when I posted the success rate of the Mobley ISO, mapping it out play for play. When I said that the rox would win 45 games before last season you scoffed, when I said the Mavs would be a great team before last season you laughed. Right now your a borderline homer. Personally I have no problem with homers. They have their place in the world of being a fan. You though are about as annoying as it gets.

Try this for once heypee...GET over yourself. Ive done nothing except point out fact. Does even one supposedly great defensive showing make a great defender. NOPE. So where exactly does that translate into me claiming someone is wrong? Pretty much everything on this board is a matter of Opinion....that is except what Heypee posts.

Ive always thought that the ignore options on the bbs's were a silly thing. Not really needed....thank god for them after all.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

geez, Dreamshake, a lot of pent up crap there. If you accuse, at least show a thread...one thread, maybe. What is your problem with me? You just don't like to read what I have to say anymore than I believe in what you say.

Then make an argument. Don't pull out some real weak trump card and say this whole thread is jumping the gun and bares little truth (and heypartner is holier than thou) without making one basketball point.

DS, verse and I are having fun in this thread. What compelled you to enter into this with no take on the subject other than saying you get great laughs here..."it is only one game"...and alluding to us believing K9 is a starting PF and we would be seriously deluded to believe that.

I mean, don't you want Cat and Kenny's defense to be better?

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

Dreamshake,

just to interject my 2 cents worth...

it has always been my philosophy that - on defense - if you can keep the total # of shots that your opposing man takes at an equal # as the total # of points scored, you're doing a fantastic job....especially if you are holding a high scorer.

this applies to anybody playing defense.

if you can hold shareef, who is at the very least atlanta's 2nd leading scorer (IMO, he will be their leading scorer this year) to 28 points on (i believe) 25 shots...you've done a decent job.

normally, i wouldn't commend this. however, the job KT did down the stretch, when it counted was phenomenal.

too many posters have said in here that KT & EG got lit up in the 1st half to ignore the fact that KT did a magnificent job on Reef in the 2nd half and OT.

no, this does not make him a great defender. of course not. but, it disproves the "defensive sieve" myths that i've seen on CC.NET over and over and over again. kt can play defense. he did it on reef better than anyone could ask for.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yes,

Saying you like K9s defense is far from saying he is a defensive star or even our starting PF. That's what makes me *sigh*-- someone who doesn't agree with a thread then resorts to using a logic gimmick by exaggerating and polarizing the author's position.

verse never said K9 is a star defender, nor a starting PF.

verse said he is not a defensive liability.

NIKE, thanks for the Curl 4. Is that a play where we swing it around the horn and Thomas curls out to meet it? Can you describe where Thomas was?

There is another one that might be it, which we used regularly for Mo'. Francis at the high wing and Shandn and Mo in the low post. Shandn uses Mo to shield his defender and he pops outto get the ball from Francis, and Francis does a curl around Mo' and clears out weakside. This is not very fancy at all. Merely a way to prevent Mo's defender from fronting him. The "play" just makes it easier to get Mo the entry pass.

Is that it?

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

crispee-

It was a pretty pure iso.

It was in the 2nd half (I think it was late 3rd), when Mottola and Crawford were in the game, Moochie was PG. They went to it like 4 times in a row. I think he made one, drew a shooting foul on another, and I don't remember the other two.

Moochie gave it to Kenny early on in the shot clock on the right side near the 3 point line and the rest of the team cleared left, a lot like the isos Mobley had last year. It was specifically called to take advantage of KT's quickness vs. Mottola's sluggishness. KT would drive by him to the hole, and got that pretty dunk off of it. I think twice, Willis cut from the top of the key, in what looked to be an option in the case the center went over to help, and left Willis open.

I'll make a note if I see it again tonight, which wouldn't surprise me against a slower defender like Brand.