1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does the signing of Bonzi affect our tradable assets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotblooded, Jun 23, 2007.

1. thedsz

thedsz Member

This is a really great signing for the Rockets. Could have said the same last year, but there's less of a chance Bonzi will tank the rest of his career. A physical big guard is exactly what the Rocket is missing during the playoffs. Big guards kill teams like Dallas, Phoenix, and SA.

2. Manun

Manun Member

Why do we have to trade Battier whne we can use MLE and draft? One guy i would want us to trade for is shelden williams, i think he fits our team pretty good and his value is as low it can be (head + 07 draft + 2nd rounder for williams)

Yao / Deke / Sean Williams
    MLE/ Hayes (LLE) / Sean Williams
    Battier / Bonzi / Snyder
    T-mac / Bonzi / Head
    Alston / James / V-span

Look at our second unit:
    Deke
    Hayes
    Bonzi
    Head
    James

3 of them were starters for other teams, bonzi, Hayes (started for us last year) and Mike James.

Im not sure i want glen davis, he seems to be after money....

3. Panda

Panda Member

Wells and James make Head expendable. Keep Shane. He fills the need of a defensive/hustle model.

With all these firepower added, Shane becomes more valuable on this team. He won't complain about no shots(since Wells and James would take his :D ).

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We might see some movement on draft day. Just my speculation, but I could see the Rockets packaging their #26 1st round pick + Luther Head to move up maybe 8-10 spots for a player that is "lottery talent" that is falling.

I think with James/Alston at the PGs and Tmac/Bonzi at the 2 guard, there might not be minutes for Head. And then there is Vspan. I think Head could be the odd man out and is a player that does have good trade value.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Try to sell Head/Snyder for Shelden Williams. If Atlanta takes Horford that leaves Horford, Shelden and Marvin Williams all at PF. That's one too many former top five picks all at one position.

Atlanta's PG play was the worst in the league this year. Granted, we all know Head is no PG but Joe Johnson plays point forward a lot like T-Mac and he could add some offense to the worst offensive team in the league.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't get why getting Bonzi for cheap for one more year suddenly makes all these players, especially a valuable guy like Battier, expendable.

1. We still don't know how Bonzi will play. He is just a potential to me at this point.

2. If Bonzi turns out good. He will only be cheap for just one year. Are we going to re-sign him for big bucks?

If there is a chance he might not work out this year, and there is a good chance he will bolt after this year, why do you think our SG position is "set"?

7. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I dont think Bonzi coming back does anything to Shane's status on the team. Battier is signed to a very reasonable contract for three or four more years. You dont ship him out just because Bonzi opted in, after all he is only on a one year deal now. Obviously Tmac, Bonzi and Shane would get the bulk of the min at SF and SG. But with the fact that Battier can play spot minutes at the four, plus with how Bonzi played/acted last year, and with the concern of Tmac's back, there is no reason to ship out Shane. I think Bonzi's rebounding at SG helps make up for anytime Shane is at the PF spot. Basically, I wouldnt trade Shane unless it nets you a massive upgrade (not Wilcox).

This could be bad news for Head staying with the Rockets. He was a good clutch shooter, so he has some trade value. But his lack of size, defense, and growth at the point make it much easier for the Rockets to ship him out cuz I dont see him getting significant minutes. I wouldnt do it for Cook, but would try to package him in a deal like everyone else mentioned. Snyder is also much more moveable since there is little room for him to get PT either, especially depending on if the Rox draft a wing player.

I also wonder if Novak could get moved. I wonder if the Rox would trade Novak for a pick if it nets them Fazekas. This would have to be a second rounder cuz no team is giving up a first rounder for Novak, but Fazekas could slip that far. I think they are both very similar players so there is no reason to have both on the team. Apparently Fazekas is shooting lights out and could match Novak in that department, but is also more suited then Novak to play PF (better rebounder, more size).

Lastly, at least one of the PG has to go. I dont see them shipping James out just cuz of how bad it would look PR wise. So I think Alston, Vspan, or JL3 is gonna be gone as well. That being said, Toronto is shopping Jose Calderon who I think would be a nice addition, so who am I to say when a team has too many PG.

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

It’s not that we’re set at the 2. We’re just a whole lot closer to being set there than at the 4 or the 1. Especially when you consider the fact that we already have a superstar player at the wing. The point guard and power forward positions have been problems for us spanning all the way back to the Hakeem era. I personally wouldn’t care if we packaged every single 2/3 player we have (excluding Mcgrady) in order to get a legit starting caliber 4 and/or 1.

The 2/3 positions are such easy positions to fill and the players we have there are dime-a-dozen players. I have absolutely no fear of not being able to find players that can replace Battier, Head, Wells, Snyder, etc. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a plethora of easily attainable swingmen available for the MLE. All of which would be equal to or better than the players we have now. Plus, if you're drafting late in the 1st round, your chances of drafting a swingman that can contribute are a whole lot better than finding a power forward or point.

But you're right, Wells staying doesn't really change anything. Every player we have outside of Yao and Mcgrady were expendable before Wells made his decision, and they're still expendable now.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

can't agree with you more. the more posts i read about the draft and the roster situation, the more we see eye to eye.

i'd like to see the rockets move up in order to draft a player who they feel can contribute right away. the trick to that is finding a team with a TE which will allow them to take on luther without sending anything back but thier pick.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we draft Big Baby Davis, we will have expandable parts. :D

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, for starters, the Bobcats are UNDER the cap. So no problem with accepting salary. And the Rockets could always do a #26+Head for higher pick + another player (which would match the salary). Golden State at #18 is there. And there was talk of a Saras for Sura trade. Maybe throw in Head and swap picks? Lakers are at #19, maybe the Head/Cook deal can have more legs if the draft picks are swapped. Just some examples.

12. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Wrong Williams

Sheldon Williams Yes
    Shawne Williams NO

13. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Ya I would do this in a heartbeat

14. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

We could give em Rafer..but it's also possible we don't have to give up anyone except Head for Sheldon.

15. Possum

Possum Member

People sure forget fast dont they Easy? Signing Bonzi does nothing for our tradeable assets. He is a one year rental at best. Thats if he loses the attitude and laziness that has put him in the position for a player as talented as him to have to accept a contract like he has.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's what I meant. I understand that our needs at the 4 is much more urgent than the 2/3. But Bonzi's staying for one more year doesn't change much. The only thing that has changed is that he has a better chance of working under Adelman than under JVG. But it still doesn't change the fact that he is a short term rental.

Actually, Mike James' acquisition changes more about our assets, imo. I think one or two of Rafer, Lucas, VSpan, Head, and Snyder will be moved.

Battier is not an easily replaceable piece. A role player who can play good defense at one end and can hit the open shot at the other end is a hot item. The league is filled with one-way players. Two-way players are rare and valuable. I would only part with him if we can get equal or better value. Trading him just for balancing the roster is not worth it.

17. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

(1) Bob Sura, Vassilis Spanoulis, JL III for Dan Gadzuric

- Mo Williams, Charlie Bell and Earl Boykins are all free agents

(2) Shane Battier & No. 26 for LaMarcus Aldridge

- ZBo, Greg Oden, Przybilla, and LaFrents all load up the post while Miles, Outlaw and Webster are the only options at SF.

(3) MLE for Morris Peterson, Chuck Hayes

- Peterson has established chemistry with Alston, Mike James and McGrady.

PG: Rafer Alston | Mike James | Luther Head
    SG: Bonzi Wells | Morris Peterson | Kirk Snyder
    SF: Tracy McGrady | Steve Novak
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge | Chuck Hayes | Justin Reed
    CN: Yao Ming | Dan Gaduric

18. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

why does everyone think he is a rental? whats if he decides to stick around for a chance to actually win a title in houston?

19. Possum

Possum Member

Best case cenerio, Bonzi comes back in great shape and plays up to his talent level. After the season he is a free agent and he WILL be expecting a big contract.

Now would you take a chance on a player that has a history like Bonzis and sign him to a long and expensive contract? I wouldnt risk wasting a large chunk of cap space on him during Mings prime and McGradys last years.

Personally I dont think he will make it past the trade deadline. Hope im wrong because that means he is playing well which bolds well for the Rockets.

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What if Morey is just luring his ass back in so we can trade him for some necessities?