1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mark Berman] Bonzi Is Staying

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ottomaton, Jun 23, 2007.

1. user

user Member

There are ways. For example, see Eddie Griffin, the player.

2. thedsz

thedsz Member

I thank Shane Battier and his shoe company. As long as you're in Houston, you're financially safe.

3. thedsz

thedsz Member

I agree high post for Yao means more room for Bonzi to operate. Bonzi did look out of place (and shape) last season playing next to Yao.

4. Manun

Manun Member

So all of our positions are secured except the PF position. Who could we use our MLE on and it would be funny if we did that cheap ass trade with Sac town (v-span etc etc). THen artest dont have to kill bonzi.

5. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

We need more offense to take the load off Yao and T-mac. If Mike James and Bonzi can provide it, I'm all for both in the starting line-up. Sure you lose the intangibles that Shane brings on the table from the openning tip but we require ballers who make the other team pay for focusing on Yao and T-mac.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think with the new coach and on a contract year we will see a better Bonzi. What I hope doesn't happen is now we have Bonzi and James waiving off TMac.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

No way was Bonzi 240 lbs during that series.

How is 240 his ideal playing weight when his NBA.com profile lists him @ 210?

Bonzi was packing an extra 50 lbs+ when he came to camp and 100% of that is on Bonzi

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The offseason has barely begun and the Rockets in effect have added Bonzi Wells and Mike James. Good start.

Now that Wells is staying, don't forget he becomes an Early Bird Rights candidate which means if we keep him (or trade him) another team or us can sign him next season without using the MLE. Basically the same situation we are in with Chuck Hayes.

So, Bonzi becomes an asset and a tradable asset as well.

9. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

he was at 15 to 20 pounds overweight all season...probably why he is hurt so consistently

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good !

You just knew that with Bonzi's struggles last year that it would benefit him more to come to camp in shape and start all over.

I am very happy, now the Rockets have another piece to either add to the rotation or add to trades to improve the roster.

DD

11. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

As long as Bonzi eats into other players' minutes, not big burgers, I will be fine.
    Seriously, has he fired his agent that made him miss that big contract with Kings yet?

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think it will be Head's minutes. I see James/Alston, Tmac/Bonzi taking up most of the guard minutes. And that doesnt include Vspan, how that situation will sort itself out.

I think there is a good chance Luther is traded. Most likely in a package with the #26 pick to move up in the draft or packaged with Sura's contract.

What do you think?

13. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Luther was one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA last year. He was shut down in the Utah series because the Jazz always were able to keep a defender dedicated to Luther, they smothered him and he could not get open looks. They could do this because our 4 and our point did not require much defensive attention.
    The Rockets now have more offensive options. Luther will be left open more and he will have another good shooting year. Adleman's system should help uther. He will have more open shots, and it will showcase his athletic ability,
    soaring hops, and dunking.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sorry, we need to sell Luther high. Every team has the book on him now. All you do is force him to put the ball on the floor and get him inside the 3 point stripe, just don't let him catch and shoot, and he becomes a very low efficiency offensive player.

I'd do that Shelden Williams deal.

On another note, if the Magic are going to sign Rashard, then they will have to give up Darko. They can't sign Darko to a $40 million deal and have room for Rashard. So, if they do re-sign Darko, it just means Rashard has one less option.

15. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

So in effect we've adressed he PG position and the backup SG delima without using the MLE, LLE or any of our tradeble assets?. thats awesom. we got the Entier MLE, LLE and luther with Suras 4.5 mill expiring contract to get a Starting PF. only if reggie evans was'nt so overrpaid. throw the entier MLE at McDyess and were set. keep Synder, Novak and Vspan and were set.

James/Alston
    Tracy/Bonzi
    Battier/Bonzi
    McDyess/Hayes
    Yao/Deke
    If we cant land McDyess for the MLE, then trade luther, pick 26, Suras Contract to memphis for someone like Hakim warrick. i 'm really high on this kid. he can be a monster given the proper minutes..

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Thanks for the vid, Otto...

I am not in the least bit surprised that he's staying, where else can he get the Texas Tripple Whopper -- with three slices of cheddar cheese -- sandwich?

Only in Texas, baby!

#116 tigermission1, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

If we can get McDyess for the MLE, I would wet myself...

As for Bonzi, I am not worried, Mike "The Bull" James will keep him fired up enough to play well, or Bonzi won't be liking what's coming his way. ;)

#117 tigermission1, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

If the Pistons dont move sheed and keep the status qoe(McDyess being a bench player) i could see him taking a paycut to play a starting role and big minutes for he's hometown Rockets. McDyess has all the tools to be Very effecient in the motion offense.

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Unfortunantely houston has the highest overwheight % population in the eniter country. another reason why bonzi feels so home in houston. :eek:

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Guys, forget McDyess. He is not opting out of his contract. He is going to take his option. And in fact, the Pistons are talking extension. It's been in the Detriot papers.

No more McDyess talk.