1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Beacon Journal] Rockets Interested in Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Team-Mac

Team-Mac Member

I like this guy, but Wilcox better

2. The Hungarian Rocket

Yeah. But Wilcox costs 9 mill and you have to give up Battier. :rolleyes:

3. Manun

Manun Member

Im all up for Varejao. Hes a good player and hes a bigger super version of chuck hayes. Im all up for it. I dont think we can sign any better PF with the MLE.
    Ppl also tend to forget that Varejao brings energy/ passsion / hustle. Chuck hayes only gives u hustle (and some energy). If we signed varejao and novak could become Matt Bullard then our front court is set for years.

Yao / Deke / Varejao
    Varejao / Hayes / Novak

4. Sextuple Double

I'd do this only as a last resort desperation move.

5. MONON

MONON Member

I'd be fine with Andy Varejao for part of the MLE. However we should also look at Matt Bonner & Melvin Ely of the Spurs. Both are 6-10. Ely is the more typical PF & could back up Yao. He would want at least the full MLE. Bonner is somewhere between Hayes & Novak. He hustles more than Hayes, but doesn't rebound as well. I wouldn't want him backing up Yao. He has a good shot, though he doesn't shoot the 3 as well as Novak. He doesn't look lost on the court. He could be had for part of the MLE. He doesn't flop.

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I disagree...

I believe that Varejao brings you intensity, passion, and hustle. Chuck Hayes gives you energy, desire, and aggressiveness.

7. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

i hate flopping. i dont know if i could bring myself to root for manu ginobili even if he was on the rockets. for this reason, i dont want any part of varejao. itd be so tough to see one of our guys go flying with their arms flailing as soon as hes touched. ugh. pass...please.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Whose sweat? Yao or Span?

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Varejao would increase the Rockets great hairstyles infinitely. He'd increase the talent at least a little. I'm not saying to not take him, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes, Yes, 7 million times YES because he'll get that in FA, 1st year. So, SnT and bring that flopping bad boy to the Toy Shop! This guy is energy, hustle, reasonable talent, and still developing.

Cavs would be dumb and remiss if they let him walk. But they won't.

They'll trade Ziggy if they can. They'll give Snow away. Varejo they'll keep.

11. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Did anyone watch the finals? In a clutch moment - game three only a few seconds on the clock with a chance to take the lead - Lebron passed to Varejao and he threw up the ugliest shot I've ever seen 2 feet from the basket! Besides that he's the biggest "actor" in the NBA. At least players like Ginobli and Horry, who are also big floppers, have some game too. I don't want this guy anywhere near the Rockets. I'd rather have someone who can play as opposed to someone who "acts"

12. Barkley

Barkley Member

Please no Varejao. We have Chuck Hayes

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is rather vague, which league sources are doing the expecting?

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Now Gater that's just insulting. If anyone around here is a Chuckie fan its me.. and you don't see me complaining about the idea of Big Hair V. In fact the only thing I don't like about him is his hair. The flopping is stupid, I agree, but if the league doesn't stop it from happening, its a legitimate tool for players to use.

Personally, I don't mind having V here at all. He's tall and athletic. If you can get him for part or all of the MLE, he wouldn't be a bad option, because you lose nothing else from the team.

Most other options at PF you have to give up pieces to get them... which is moving backward in my opinion.

I will probably have to make lots of comments about his hair flopping as much as he does, but as long as no one minds, I say he may be a helpful piece to the puzzle.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the article sounds like speculation to me.

the rockets are "expected to be" interested. who expects them to be interested? the writer? maybe because when you look around the league the rockets are the only team with no PF's on the roster right now.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

having a tall, athletic young guy at pf thats still improving...rockets could do worse.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Those are numbers you can bet Morey has taken a look at. I believe the article.

#57 JoeBarelyCares, Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Among our REALISTIC options, for me Varejao ranks second behind Gooden. Wilcox comes in third...

God I want Gooden. He's the only one of those three who has a jumpshot (and a good one at that).

Gooden/Jones for Head/Sura/Lucas + 1st (if necessary).

19. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

oh please

not this guy, I don't need every analyst to laugh at his stupid flops and hair style

he is a decent player, but not an upgrade over hayes or howard

not even close IMO

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is an upgrade and a good mobile player at the PF spot......he might be worth a look.

DD