1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Battier for Lewis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooliverb1, Jun 2, 2007.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis Highlights.

Highlights #1 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/fx01cf

Highlights #2 <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ce1-ax5TRdA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ce1-ax5TRdA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

#301 geeimsobored, Jun 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

agree on Lewis not on Wilcox

4. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

if we were to get wilcox I would assume we would be the ones receiving a draft pick as opposed to the other way around if it was lewis involved.

that would most likely spell the end of howards days as a rocket as well...

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wilcox + 31 + 35 for Shane...?

Problem is, assuming Lewis stays, I don't see how this is a good deal for the Sonics. They need more inside presence, not less. And they'd basically have 3 smal forwards/occasional PF's then.

I think the Wilcox thing was just this writer making some crap up (if it all wasn't).

6. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Are you freakin kidding? Possibly the stupidest post I have read. Battier is better than Rashard???? Rashard is an all star!!!! You obviously know little about the game. You are telling me you would not trade Battier for Rashard but you would essentially trade Yao for Rashard.

IDIOTIC!

7. yaominn

yaominn Member

sonics will be a scary team after they get yao.

8. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Member

Yeah, I was with you until the last statement: #3

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I don't mean to hate on a hometown kid, but if that highlight video is any indication, Lewis may be the least impressive 20 ppg player I have ever seen. No post ups, no penetration...basically not a single shot created on his own.

The Yao for Rashard is one of the worst trades I've seen on this board.

10. Vivid

Vivid Member

If only there was a way to get both Lewis and Artest. Artest is a big boy and a solid rebounder who can shut down wings and D up post guys. He has guarded 4s before and is so much bigger and stronger than Hayes. He would turn us into a very versatile team if we also got Lewis

Tmac 6'9 235 6.1 rpg
    Lewis 6'10 230 6.2 rpg
    Artest 6'8 260 6.5 rpg

You guys want a banger 4, but I believe a versatile forward combo with killer defense gives us more mis-matches in our favor. Take Boozer, who is 6'9 267, he is considered a beast now. He isn't so strong he can man handle a 6'8 260 lb Artest, but he is no where quick enough to keep up. Artest will draw Boozer (and any other banger 4) away from the middle, opening things for Yao and hurting the opponents who depend on the their banger 4's defensive rebounds. Tmac and Lewis are good rebounders. It is not about one person but the team. With a combo of Hayes Battier and Tmac you got more rebounds from the 4 but less for the 3. Battier's career average show he doesn't get as many boards as Lewis who had multible 6.5 plus rebound seasons. I recommend Artest as our new four. If he doesn't work, lucky us we have a cheap alternative that was last year's starter. Artest being backed up by Hayes loses us less rebounds than Hayes backed up by Howard.

We trade Battier and Sura for Lewis, we trade Howard for James, we trade Alston, Vspan, Head, for Artest

Why they do it. Seattle decides they would rather have Battier on the team as a veteran leader than not have Battier and let Lewis walk. Sac decides with Bibby's uncertain status and declining game they need a cheap legitimate back up to take some pressure off of Bibby. Alston is bad as a starter but solid as a backup. Vspan gives them a young prospect and Head is a valuable shooter who was our 6th man last year. Many here wanted him to participate in the 3pt shoot out. He helps them in their youth movement. Minn has had interest in this deal since last year.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Houston, Sacramento, Seattle, and Minnesota being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston, Sacramento, and Minnesota had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

We should use the MLE to sign Darko as our back up 4 and 5. He has skills and is still young. Many think he is a bust but I think he could contribute here. Sign Francis to the min as our 6th man. Resign Wells. Any given night we can throw out different lineups. We are versatile and offensively dangerous. We can afford to play our big two less to have them rest up for big games. Minutes could be distributed like-

Yao 34 Darko 12 Deke 2
    Artest 30 Darko 12 Hayes 6
    Lewis 34 Snyder 8 Tmac 6 Novak
    Tmac 25 Wells 23
    James 24 Francis 24 JL3

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He's not a creator, at all, and he's soft. That's why I don't understand the infatuation.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

lol...you're not impressed with those jams? :confused:

the fact that he is a career 46% fg shooter really impresses me

13. bbjai

bbjai Member

I don't think its realistic to think that we can get Artest AND Lewis. I like the analysis before with T-mac Lewis and Artest at 2-3-4. I think that would work. But once against too many people can take shots, not enough people are going to be not selfish.

On the Lewis subject

Is there ANYWAY we can let Lewis know he will be a hit with the fans in Houston if he ever did come? Home town boy he is but i think an important bit would be to let him know that Houston people really want him! Like a fan sponsered advert or a public petition site or something?

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

...........you don't think Lewis knows he will be a hit with the fans in Houston??

15. bbjai

bbjai Member

I wouldn't know to be honest

Never been to Houston
    Would love to.............I was thinking more on the lines of a big big website with alot of worldwide support to be honest. Don't know if that ever has been tried

Don't know if that counts for anything when his choosing between millions and Houston :D

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

You might be on to something....COME HOME SHARD!

17. bbjai

bbjai Member

thats what I mean

how on earth will he know
    should have a dedicated website with masses of loyal worldwide Rocket fans posting their only little bit to bring Shard back

18. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

This trade won't happen.

If Lewis was planing to force a trade to Houston or leave Seattle as a free agent, Houston wouldn't offer up Shane Battier and the number one pick.

We'd offer up Bobby Sura and other garbage. Probably a second round pick too.

Rashard will resign with Seattle...this is probably just trying to use us as a tool.

19. bbjai

bbjai Member

What I don't get

Why spin with Houston

Why not spin with Charlotte or Orlando.............

20. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I agree with you on Artest I dont think we could get Lewis, James and Artest thats way beyond the cap. but we could do

Battier + sura + a first for Rashard
    (not much for seattle to lose, Rashard has already opted out they would be getting battier at his current contract which is good and a pick)
    and
    Juwan + head + a first for Artest
    (rumor has it they want to get rid of Artest)

hell yes I would do it.... in a heart beat we would still have the MLE to sign another player without paying luxury tax
    that would be

Yao 7'6"
    Artest 6'8"
    Lewis 6'10"
    Tmac 6'9"
    Alston 6'2

no more scoring problems or problems at the 4.