1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading up in the draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marsarinian, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Lewislzy

Lewislzy New Member

Actually, I think Morey will trade this pick, so......

2. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I personally feel that it will be much easier to trade into the bottom of the first round, with the Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio and the Rockets all fairly likely to move their late 20s picks. Moving up to get any of the point guards will be tremendously hard, I would think, since there's so much need in the middle of the draft, with the Kings, Hawks, Clippers, Pistons and Heat all needing lead guards or backups.

I had thought that Crittenton would jump Law eventually with great workouts and the alluring promise of potential, ala Sebastian Telfair over Jameer Nelson (though Telfair got killed in workouts, too), but with mediocre combine measurements (to put it in perspective, at an advertised 6'5", he has a standing reach less than Luther Head. While I take the leaping, strength and speed tests with more than a few grains of salt, I generally accept the physical measurements to be pretty accurate) and a poor freshman campaign, it's going to be tough. The only way I see him rising above the Law, barring utter head to head domination, (which any half-decent agent is not going to happen) is if Atlanta wants their local product.

And similarly, I don't see how you trade away Luther for anything less than an upgrade at Point Guard or Power Forward. Luther is heading into the very key third season of consistent playing time, and I feel like he still has some room to grow. Here's a guy who has made marked improvement in his game for six straight years, and I don't think it's out of the question for him to develop a shot-fake, 1-dribble pullup that would easily push his scoring average up another few per game.

I would have given him up for Brandon Roy last year, and for Acie Law this year. But making a wide open three pointer is still an important skill; heck, we drafted Novak just for that reason, and I wouldn't be willing to just throw him into a trade to get a 15-20 pick player. (Law is a lottery pick in my estimation).

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I keep Snyder because he can play D period, for every point Luther scores, teams abuse him in the post or drive by him on the perimeter. Luther is very soft and doesn't like contact. Plus teams have learned to make him put it on the floor and he can't finish (except for dunk on dirk) around the rim.

If we believe billy is the real deal, he can take Luther's spot, but we needed a tall point guard (Crittendon)

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

In the end it didn't really matter. Smith did a Luther in the playoffs.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know that these guys should have a clean slate, but they don't imo. I just don't trust the Rockets organization at all to make good trades or good decisions with draft picks.