1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Knocked Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by shawn786, Jun 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Hate that damn song that they play the previews. "iT'S AAALLLLRIGGHHTT!!" No it's not.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If you liked 40 Year Old Virgin, you'll love this one. Hilarious.

4. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

I loved 40 year old virgin. I was disappointed with this though..I laughed some but overall it wasn't that good imo. 6/10

5. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

certainly not 40 yr old virgin level... just a notch under it though. the real funny scenes were hilarious, but then there were some rather dull parts.

they showed the baby coming out ewwwwwwwwwwwwww :eek:

overall? worth seeing.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I thought it was great. It's probably not quite up to the level of the elite comedies of recent years (Borat, Wedding Crashers, 40 year old virgin), but it's as good as or even better than other notable recent comedies (Old School, Dodgeball, Talladega Nights, Anchorman, Harold and Kumar etc.)

And when they do the unrated version with some of the deleted scenes (the one with the doctor is a showstopper, and probably got cut to maintain the R rating) it could really take the leap up the charts.

The thing I really liked about the movie was that there are about a half-dozen scene-stealing performances by low-billed actors/cameos. Ryan Seacrest's bit was awesome, and Craig Robinson who plays Darryl on The Office has a brilliant scene.

The only bad thing I can say is that there were a few scenes which kind of fell flat, but you can say that about pretty much any comedy. Some stuff just misses. Overall it was very good. And the unrated version should be even better.

P.S. That birthing scene really was more graphic than I was expecting.

There wasn't poop or anything like that, but showed a couple quick shots of the baby coming out the vagina, and sure didn't go easy on the vaseline on that kid. I guess that's what it looks like, but damn, that baby was a mess.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i agree with mcable, though i'd move oldschool up to the elite comedy list.

i thought it was hilarious and i can already see myself watching this thing a million times when the dvd comes out.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is one of those movies I'll need to watch 10 times just to extract all the funny lines from it. It reminds me a LOT of 40 Year Old Virgin in that regard. When I saw that at the theater, I thought parts of it were hilarious, but I didn't come to appreciate it fully until I saw it several more times on DVD. It went by too fast to see everything in one pass.

Alternately, as much as I LOVE Wedding Crashers, I found it funnier the first time I saw it and less funny each subsequent time. I still love it and laugh out loud at parts, but the difference between it and 40 Year Old Virgin (and this one, IMO) is the writing. Wedding Crashers was more about the brilliant performances of Vaughn, Wilson and Isla Fisher. 40 YOV was as much about the writing as the performances.

I think this one was much more like the latter. It DEFINITELY deserved the R for all the language.

9. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well I'm still going to catch this movie tonight after work.

Hopfully it'll make me laugh more than once.

10. rodrick_98

who was the actress in the office scenes with alison? she had the real monotone voice and quick delivery of her lines? she may have been the funniest character in the movie. and seacrest did amazing too... i didn't expect him to drop so many f***s.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I agree. I laughed over a bunch of dialogue and probably missed a few follow-up jokes.

P.S. I didn't realize until I got home that the sister was played by the drunk girl in 40 year old virgin. She delivered one of my favorite lines from virgin ("F***ing French Toast"), and was pretty solid in knocked up.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This along with Zodiac and Deathproof are far and away the best American films so far in 2007.

14. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I haven't laughed this hard since Wedding Crashers. I was howling laughing throughout the movie. An honest, hilarious movie that everyone should see.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

shes also the wife of the director and those are their real kids

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Loved all the beard jokes.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Kristen Wiig. She's on Saturday Night Live. Her character in the movie was very similar to one she does on SNL.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just got back from seeing Knocked Up, and just laughed and laughed (and laughed!) like crazy. A great flick. In some ways, I liked it more than 40 Year Old Virgin. It was knockdown hilarious, but not quite as "over the top." Just fantastic writing and cast. Perfect comedic timing. The flick could have easily been just a crazy lunatic fluff comedy (and certainly parts of it were), and managed rise above that, with even a level of sophistication totally unexpected. I could explain more of what I'm trying to say, but don't want to spoil anything.

GO SEE IT! :cool:

19. rodrick_98

thanks man, i thought i recognized her.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8evTyDpCD5I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8evTyDpCD5I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Saw it tonight. May have liked it even more than 40-Year Old Virgin. Very funny movie.

Wish they'd have kept that Dr. Kuni scene in there.