1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PS1, PS2 and DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, more)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, May 23, 2007.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

how can i do this?

My ps3 and computer are a room apart.

2. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Your PS3 should be on the same "network" as your pc.....that is...if you have high speed internet.

3. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

The WMP thing works great

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It does but I don't like how there are 10 ways to organize your files. It makes the path to get to the file you want muddled.

5. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

it took an afternoon of screwing around on the computer but I got it working... and its awesome. Ive only tried music, but if video works as well that does, than this is going to completely change the way I view my downloaded treasures from the web.

also, upconverting = teh awesome

6. Brando2101

dude you are going to be disappointed. Most of your videos will not play because WMP11 will not change the format of the files and the ps3 can't play many different file types.

I'm trying to get Nero MediaHome to work right. In terms of structure, it is much better than tversity and WMP11. The interface is simple. Just add folders. Those folder names are also listed when you open the server from the PS3 which I think is better than just organizing by artist or song title.

As far as the video...well I'm still working on it. Most people don't seem to have the problems I do. All of the video files are listed normally, with no "unsupported media" note. However, when I try to play a video file, the PS3 says that its request was rejected by the server. Can't be a firewall issue because I can play music. The divx files don't take long to be rejected but the avis take about 10 seconds of waiting before I get the rejection.

I'll keep up the updates. At this point, I think it's an issue with my router.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nero has had PS3 access for months via the PS3 web browser. But its not the same.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This is a few weeks old at this point, but here is a rumored list of changes that firmware 2.0 will address:

Some people are thinking that it might actually be legit since both it and 1.80 included things a lot of people have been asking for (a wishlist of features in a sense), and yet there was no conflicts between them (AFAIK anyway). For example, if this was made-up, it might have included upscaling and media streaming. Or firmware 1.80 (and not 2.0) might have added a wallpaper feature. Not sure about all that, but I thought I'd post about it since interest has risen a bit since this last update.

9. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

ok, I've got the update, and the upscaling of DVDs works great.

However, now I can't play blu-ray discs(!). It says 'no signal' (I have two different discs that both worked before the 1.8 update, and neither will play now :( )

Any suggestions? I don't see many options to change.

10. Brando2101

THat sounds like an odd problem. Did you already try turning it off and then back on?

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

RC,
    Which media server thing for my PC should i download? On that forum i see WMP11, TVVersity, and Tonky Vision

thanks

12. Brando2101

you already have WMP on your computer so go ahead and try and see if you like it. It's the most convenient because it is always on. You have to open programs and start servers with anything else. After giving up on video encoding, I settled on WMP.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Do any support AAC or do i have to use a converter?

14. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

AVS Forum Topic

This fixed it - I had to disable the 24 Hz (frames / sec) setting under display settings. Hooray for me.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It upconverts youtube!

16. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I played around with upscaling today to see if I would have the same problem you had. Everything seemed to work just fine. The DVDs looked great, and BR played without any settings changes.

Streaming from my computer to my PS3 and then getting the content on my PSP via remote play works great too.

Now I wonder if we will be able to stream to "Home". I think the open beta is only a month away.

17. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Converted movies using ps3video converter. WMP wouldnt let me even add it to the video list since the player does not support the format, so I cannot get my ps3 to recognize them ultimately. also, the scanning folders thing is really really lame. Instead of just adding the folders manually, they scan the folder for files. This has not detected multiple music files that are simple mp3s.

I will try some of the real time transcoding stuff and report back to the thread.

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

As Brando2101 said, WMP11 might be the best thing to try at first. It seems like it is the easiest to work with, and it works pretty well with pictures, music, and some videos IIRC. It doesn't transcode though, which is what you'll need if you are trying to play media from your PC that isn't supported by the PS3 (like a AVI video file or something like that). If you're worried about that, then you'll need to try something else, probably TVersity or Nero MediaHome. I think Nero was the better option at first, but I believe the TVersity team has already released a few patches to help improve support for the PS3. It sounds like it might be the best option for everything now, assuming you can get it working correctly. Of course, I'm basing all of this solely on what I've read on other forums, and not any personal experience I've had with them.

It seems like there really isn't any one solution for getting great media streaming on the PS3. Each program has its own pros and cons. Maybe in a few weeks, one (or even several) of these programs will work almost perfectly with the PS3, in which case it would be easier to suggest just one program.

BTW, I believe TVersity and MediaHome both support AAC, or at least that is what their websites say.

That would be nice. I think they've talked about being able to use Home with the PSP (and even cell phones IIRC), but I figured it might be limited supported. With Remote Play, you should have the ability to do a lot of things.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI : just nitpicking, and no big deal, but, that's not the AVS Forum forum....

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey guys, I need an honest answer.

I have an X-Box 360, is there any reason to get the PS3 also other than Blu Ray?

Thanks,

DD