1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bible Classes in Texas Public Schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, May 24, 2007.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4831635.html

AUSTIN — The Senate easily passed and sent to the governor a bill Wednesday to teach Bible classes to high school students, but lawmakers immediately disagreed on whether the measure would make the courses mandatory.

Legislative leaders differed on whether school districts may offer the religion studies course, or whether they are obligated to do so if 15 or more students sign up for it. Both "may" and "shall" show up in different sections of the House bill that the Senate passed 28-2 without changing.

Sen. Craig Estes, R-Wichita Falls, sponsor of the legislation in the Senate, said his legislative intent clearly is to require school districts to offer the Bible course if at least 15 students sign up for it.

However, Rep. Scott Hochberg, D-Houston, noted that the House Public Education Committee specifically removed "shall" from the original legislation, House Bill 1287, which, he said, allows local school districts to decide whether to offer the course, intended to give students a fuller appreciation of religion's role in society.

"We'll just have to get some experts to look at it," Estes said after being told of Hochberg's interpretation of the bill.

Estes and other supporters got little disagreement from critics that people could benefit from more knowledge about Hebrew scripture, the Christian Bible and the Islamic Quran.

"People need to know both the good things and bad things that have happened in history in the name of religion," Estes said. "There's lots on both sides to go around, and an elective course like this is a wonderful forum to discuss those issues."

And it would be nearly impossible for students, he said, "to understand the writings and speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr." without a basic knowledge of the Bible.

Other religions
    Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, asked Estes whether the legislation would obligate school districts to offer a study of the Quran if at least 15 students requested such a course.

Yes, Estes answered, explaining that non-Muslim students may want to study the impact of the Quran "because of the present problems that we have with the war on terror because of people's misrepresentation of the Quran."

Only two senators, Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, D-McAllen, and Sen. Mario Gallegos, D-Houston, opposed the bill.

Hinojosa expressed fear that any religious study course would focus more on the Bible and Christianity than on other faiths.

And he seemed to support Estes' view that a group of 15 or more students could obligate a school district to offer a religious study course.

"Since when do we allow students to dictate to TEA (Texas Education Agency) or some school system what courses to teach?" Hinojosa asked.

Changes to original
    The bill heading to Gov. Rick Perry's desk contains several changes from the original measure, all designed to satisfy skeptics. They include:

• Specifications for teacher training and qualifications.
    • Requirements for curriculum standards and an actual textbook instead of using the Bible as the textbook.
    • Stronger protections for the religious freedom of students and their families.
    "Today, the Senate kept safeguards in this bill that should prevent government from telling our schoolchildren what to believe about the Bible," said Kathy Miller, president of a nonpartisan organization that supports religious freedom.

"We will now join with families across the state to ensure that schools adhere to the bill's clear standards that promote respect for both the Bible and the religious freedom of all students."

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I don't see any problem if they offer the course as an elective. It shouldn't be mandatory though.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If the class is mandatory, I have obvious problems with this. If it is a true elective course, I believe this to be a good thing, because having more academic options is never bad.

I would like to see a provision that if fewer than 15 students sign up for it that that particular school will offer something else in lieu of the religion class.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think it's a problem whether it's elective or mandatory.

As long as it's taught as religious studies and not as trying to convert people then it should be fine.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

As long as other religious courses are available too I would be ok. No religious monopolies please. That is never good.

6. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Shouldn't be in public schools.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't understand why we have to have a law. There is nothing unconstitutional about teaching Bible as a work of literature. In fact, I would argue that it is a severe disservice to not teach the work with the most allusions in the English Language. Just make sure the lesson plan is sufficiently non-religious and teach it in Literature classes.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I agree with oomp. This kind of stuff always turns into preaching and trying to convert non-believers.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I say let's do it. We'll invite every Christiian sect to an organizational meeting where we get to discuss which Bible is to be used. We could sell on Pay For View, and call it, The Crucifix is a Baseball Bat.

Good times.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Me either

Rocket River

11. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

If taught in a "Bible School" way it's a clear violation of Church and State.

If taught through a purely academic view it will piss off many Christians it should be left to the Universities.

No good can come of this.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this scares me.

13. updawg

updawg Member

This has trouble written all over it. Probably ok on paper, but in practice it will be abused

I can only imagine how many school activities will fall under the protection of this.

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I am trying to get a bible class started at our church... having some trouble, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I hadn't thought of using legislation though hmm.........

15. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Let's turn Texas into the world's biggest church!!!

16. MadMax

i do not want the schools teaching my kids about God. i'll do that at home and through my church.

i like the idea of it being taught as literature in a perfect world...but like you, i'm concerned it will go beyond that.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not clear if the classes would focus only on the religion requested or if it's a Big Three survey-type class. If it is one religion at a time, I'm not too thrilled. If all classes forced kids to read about Islam, Christianity and Judaism (it's a shame that some other religions seem to be snubbed here), I like the idea much better. There is a huge hole in American's education about religions. Of course, since this is public school, they probably won't do a very good job of it. I can see lots of parents being unhappy with it too -- atheists afraid of brainwashing, Baptists afraid their kids will be taught Methodism, and so on.

18. MadMax

i remember being taught generally about Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism in world history my sophomore year of high school. but i think this is something different...this is just teaching the Bible as literature. again..i'm concerned it will become more than that.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

When I was in school we said the Lord's Prayer every morning and we had a Christmas play (I was the shepherd) every Christmas. We had the Ten Commandments on the wall and we had to memorize them... yes that was in public school in the '60's.... But I developed into a dope dealing atheist by 9th grade.

I think every school should be modeled after the worst schools in America, take the most crime ridden, filthy schools in the cities, the very worst. Find the worst certified teachers and the most horrible conditions possible and force every school district to conform to that level.

Tell the parents if they want it any different then get involved, volunteer, give your child extra attention and make a difference.

kidding- OK :eek:

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I agree. There's nothing wrong with teaching it in principle its the execution that could be really problematic.